Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I manage/cruel taskmaster the local non-profit haunt at our local fairgrounds. A semi- scary, kid friendly sort of thing that expanded to 6,000 feet of maze and scares. Every year I talk to the fire guys and get a nod. The same materials and fire equipment. I trained our staff for emergency action ( I'm retired Navy and I take fire very seriously) and all is good. We put our show on in a large metal barn on the fairgrounds and have had no problems. Last season the Fire Marshall, who is a friend of mine, states that this will be our last due to fire regulations and next year must be held outside-as in tent city. I have checked with state regs and haven't seen any major changes. Has anyone out there in Hauntland, USA had any problems like this?:confused:

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
I know that one of the local professional haunts (they are still non-profit, as all of their proceeds go to a local museum) had to really up their fire-code compliance game this last year.
It wasn't because of any new fire-codes, but there were a couple of large, fatal, forest fires in the area over the past couple of years and code enforcement was more strict.
Codes in most areas require a fire suppression system, everything must be fire-retardant, fire extinquishers every so many feet, a master emergency switch that shuts down all the props and turns on all of the lights, emergency plans and training, etc.
Open air attractions aren't usually subject to the same standards but are subject to possible crappy weather.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just ask him straight out what has changed in the regulations exactly and what needs implemented to keep the use of the building....Maybe you can make it happen or maybe it will be too expensive but at least you know what the issues are.....If you don't have any tents already, that can cost a lot of money too so in the long run it may be cheaper to make the changes to the building......moon

·
Undertaker
3,206 Posts
Just ask him straight out what has changed in the regulations exactly and what needs implemented to keep the use of the building....Maybe you can make it happen or maybe it will be too expensive but at least you know what the issues are.....If you don't have any tents already, that can cost a lot of money too so in the long run it may be cheaper to make the changes to the building......moon
I agree with Zombie Raider...That's good advice.

If you can no longer do it indoors I would seek a hybrid of tents & indoor system. I'm not sure but I think temporary structures are not subject to the strict fire codes as arenas or buildings.

Therefore, I would build a maze out of plywood & 2x3, 2x4’s using a water proof tarp for the ceiling. You can add a floor as well to stay out of any mud. The maze parts can be made to be inter changeable and altered every year as needed. This would be a more flexible system to use and if done correctly, a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah, the pains of safety...we know them all too well. We're just awaiting the day where we're forced to put fire extinguishers every four feet in our warehouse. Better safe than sorry, right?

Hope whatever happens, it works out in your favor. Hard to believe he didn't give you any sort of suggestions as to how you could be compliant....

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My guess is they were letting you squeak by all along even though you were under-compliant, but someone at the top is putting on lean on someone else now. The conversation is usually- friend or no friend and best efforts aside, we've been lucky thus far. Get them out of the building. It may even be your friend the FM is just feeling nervous now giving the nod and is playing power of the third party- blaming regs or something else other than what he thinks is the better move considering you've played the odds and won. When luck runs in out that situation it's a catastrophe. Time will tell whether you'll get nods moving forward. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts