Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've wondered for people who have pro, semi-pro or home haunts. Do you allow your actors to touch the patrons? I've heard that some haunts encourage the actors to touch their customers to create a more fearful experience.

I've read some people saying "No touching allowed - under any circumstances" and other don't see it as such a big deal. I'm wondering your take on the all invasion of personal space deal, which includes touching.

Yay or nay?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think in any haunt that people pay to enter "hands off" is the best policy

In a home haunt for free this may still apply but I think that a best judgment to have your guests get a great experience is ok but caution is advised.

Have you ever thought of actors in your guest line as they go through the haunt with paying people. They pretend that they are paying guest and a costumed actor comes out and carries them, harasses them a little harder, what ever you decide.
You could have multiple people doing this or have them change clothes to blend in on the next group they accompany. I always wanted to do this!!

-PB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting idea, but I do not run or own a haunt. I was just curious about people's views on this idea.

Sounds like there is too much risk in having people be touched.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I run a charity haunt and the rule is never, never touch. I don't know if it is just an Ohio law, but there is a law brought on from the collage frats and there frat induction ceromonies there was a case of some of the pledges dying. Also the insurance policy i must carry also states no touching.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Touching just invites way too much trouble to an otherwise fun experience. There would be someone who would say they were touched inapropriately or hurt and then there would be a problem. Like i tell my kids, keep your hands to your self.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you ever thought of actors in your guest line as they go through the haunt with paying people. They pretend that they are paying guest and a costumed actor comes out and carries them, harasses them a little harder, what ever you decide.
You could have multiple people doing this or have them change clothes to blend in on the next group they accompany. I always wanted to do this!!

-PB
I like that idea, propboy!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
For many people, it's a boundary issue. Some people simply do not like to be touched by a stranger, even in a setting such as a haunted house. As mentioned, physically touching a patron invites a host of problems, including physical retaliation/confrontation, or accusations of inappropriate contact that can result in legal trouble. IMO, you can elicit just as good a scare and not touch anyone. I vote no touch.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
It's a liability issue for sure. Definetly don't want to open yourself up to lawsuits. Scare 'em so bad they 'touch' each other (either slam dance trying to get away or grab each other), it's the best way!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
At our Cub Scout Haunted House we have a big 'No touching' rule.
And at the pro Haunts I've been to I know they very much have 'no touching' rules as well.
It really is just asking for trouble if you think about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Heck they sue for being chased by chainsaws, I'm sure there are suits for being touched.
Places got sued for the chainsaw bit? There were several haunts where that as the only thing that actually got me. You can't help but jump when you hear a chainsaw start up and have no idea where it is coming from. The idea that someone would sue a haunt for effective scaring them seems really pathetic to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Places got sued for the chainsaw bit? There were several haunts where that as the only thing that actually got me. You can't help but jump when you hear a chainsaw start up and have no idea where it is coming from. The idea that someone would sue a haunt for effective scaring them seems really pathetic to me.
Some of us find the use of chainsaws to be pathetic. If you can't come up with something more creative than that, you should put an empty bowl out front and turn off the lights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Some of us find the use of chainsaws to be pathetic. If you can't come up with something more creative than that, you should put an empty bowl out front and turn off the lights.
I think the chainsaw guy has become a staple with haunts just like having a Freddy Kreuger/Jason/Michael character. I've heard that some people get disappointed when they don't have them.

On the flipside, my fear would be that even though the chain is removed, an accident could happen. I've heard that they can get hot and burn people if they aren't careful, not to mention trip hazards as people are running away from the guy. It also depends on if the chainsaw man is swinging the saw or not.

As far as lawsuits go, potentially any place you go into could result in a lawsuit, but I think the main concern is that every person comes out of there in one piece physically...emotionally they might be a little shaken but most have fun with it and that's how it should be.

A few people might go in and find out it's more than they bargained for and when those situations arise, I'd like to think the haunters are able to tell and help that person out. (An example would be a panic attack. I've heard a few cases like that happening.)

That's why I'm so interested in what kind of precautions are taken with any kind of haunt.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
No touching at my Haunt!! Just dont see the need.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts