Halloween Forum banner

A terrible coincidence.

4772 61
I have a rent house that is about 2/3 a mile away from my house. but about 2000 ft. the way the crow flies (straight across through the woods) The other day I was showing this house to a prospective tenant. While walking through the house the woman said "I hope you like Halloween cause my husband and I go all out for Halloween" I told her that I love Halloween and in fact in the woods between that house and mine I have a haunted house that is up all year (closer to my side for electricity). My 18 year old daughter was with me and when the woman left my daughter said "She's our new tenant because she loves Halloween" I told her not neccessarily because it's not wise to mix business with pleasure. After going over her application I realized the lady and her husband probably would not be living there.

Well, the gods decided to test me when they sent the next applicant. It was a woman, her husband and their adopted 10 yr. old son. They were perfect candidates. They were wonderful made plenty of money, sweet, clean and everything they wrote on their application was correct. I told them that they were selected and they came back to the house to measure some things. While they were there the mother told me that her son was having to see a therapist. I asked why what happened?

When the boy was 4 years old he woke up on Halloween morning in the bed with his real mother and she was dead. He stayed there with her all day and into the night and there were kids coming to his door trick or treating. Later that night someone found her and took her away. And he associates his mother's death with Halloween and can in no way see anything Halloween related. She said last Halloween was the first one he made it through without them having to give him something to sedate him.

I can't tell you the miracle it is that I didn't mention my love of Halloween to these people, because alot of my tenants come to my party. And I have never met a child I didn't try to get to go through my haunted house even in June. I turn it on and we go through it. Kids love that thing. He was about 10 min. away from being asked himself.

The other issue is the noise haunted house noises are scary. music, sound fx, etc. and you can hear ours for at least a mile because we put sounds in the woods around our house so it sounds like stuff in the woods. surround sound in the woods.

As the rest of you I am sure, Halloween is one of the great pleasures of my life. I love children and it hurts me to think that something I love will bring pain to this little boy. He is such a cute sweet thing.
My best friend said maybe it was meant to be this way for some reason. I hope she's right.
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Since it's only 2000 feet into the woods the boy may stumble across your haunted house while exploring the woods so I would at least warn the parents about that. Once he meets other kids I'm sure they will let him know about the cool halloween lady that lives nearby...hopefully they can help him overcome his problem.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Since it's only 2000 feet into the woods the boy may stumble across your haunted house while exploring the woods so I would at least warn the parents about that. Once he meets other kids I'm sure they will let him know about the cool halloween lady that lives nearby...hopefully they can help him overcome his problem

Now that is possible, if he wanders through the woods. but most of the time it is locked unless I'm working on something. but if it wasn't locked I doubt he would actually step foot inside. Plus he probably wouldn't see anything cause without the breaker on it is pitch black inside. I am almost too chicken to walk in there myself with the lights off. As far as the other kids in the neighborhood goes. well sadly they have all grown up. What few there was as it was mostly older people. My daughter just graduated high school and my son is a senior this year but besides them the next youngest in the neighborhood is me and my husband. We are all pretty close in this neighborhood though so I will give them all a heads up as to his situation. But I think she will tell them herself she is very friendly. And everyone around here will treat them nicely. I know they will be o.k.

· Registered
340 Posts
I am sorry Chm, but I guess I disagree with you on this matter.
Mental problems run very deep, too deep to even imagine. Looking at your map, if the red line is your driveway, it looks like the tenants could pass by it, being it is the main road in front of their rental. I am sure you will have signs up the month of Oct. at the entry of the driveway, plus at other locations, the other side of rental (maybe) Plus it will be the Fall and the woods will be thinning (leaves do fall) and sounds do travel (barrier has been thinned). You did admit, I believe, that you sometimes take children though the haunt even in June? I am sorry to disagree with you on this (I do love halloween too) and I do know it is hard to find a good tenant. Keep in mind the child is troubled.
Some trouble never heals or could heal badly.
Remember this, not only for the childs safety, but also.....for your own family.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Rant

I am sorry Chm, but I guess I disagree with you on this matter

Disagree with me about what exactly?

Looking at your map, if the red line is your driveway, it looks like the tenants could pass by it, being it is the main road in front of their rental
Yes they will pass my mailbox you cannot see my house from the road.

I am sure you will have signs up the month of Oct. at the entry of the driveway, plus at other locations, the other side of rental (maybe)
You should not be so sure. I do not advertise in any way. I get way too many people as it is. It is word of mouth only. I don't charge so I don't advertise. I have a wooden arrow that simply says haunted house that I hang on my mailbox. I am sure that is much more benign to this boy than what you see everywhere else.

Plus it will be the Fall and the woods will be thinning (leaves do fall)
Actually they are still in the trees. Plus you cannot see from the rent house to my haunt in the dead of winter.

You did admit, I believe, that you sometimes take children though the haunt even in June? I am sorry to disagree with you on this (I do love halloween too) and I do know it is hard to find a good tenant. Keep in mind the child is troubled.
Some trouble never heals or could heal badly.
Remember this, not only for the childs safety, but also.....for your own family.
Please read all my posts. You say you disagree with me but about what I am not sure. Plus please don't forget that I live here. You don't. You have no idea what this neighborhood looks like now or on October 31. Yes I take kids through it sometime throughout the year KIDS I KNOW. I think if some of you applied this situation to your own job you would also not have said anything. To think I can obliterate Halloween from the planet for this child? I can't. But I know MY situation and I know what I can control as far as what this boy sees from me. He will see nothing. He may hear something but if you will read older posts in this thread and not just the most recent you will see that I and others have figured a way for him not to hear anything as well. I am truly sorry for this rant. But I am not a person who would not keep troubled children in mind. I also have to keep my own children in mind as I try to make a living. I think the rest of you would do the same even if you have to make adjustments for one night.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok so here we are about 2/3 of the way down my driveway going toward my house. my drive vears to the right so you still can't see my house. You are actually looking at my haunted house in this picture. But you can't see it unless you go in the woods. That's why I have never really posted pictures of it. It's hard to get anything other than maybe the door.

this is with me standing beside my mailbox. To the left there is my hayfield. The guy has not cut it yet. It will get a second cutting in the fall that may or may not be there the night of my party. Either way you still can't see

and these are the goats across the road.

You see this is the country. You pretty much gotta know where your going to get there. Most people don't know there is a house back here. Only people who know us. Same goes with our party and haunt it's just not something you light up along side the road. It is very private. I am not sure why I feel so compelled to show all this except for I don't want people thinking that I am some heartless person who would mess with a child's mind for my own personal gain.

· crossfit zombie
7,872 Posts
You are not heartless.This is your property and you thinking of this family in the way you are is wonderful.I feel sorry for this child and his family but your life should not change because of this.I am sure you will handle this the best you can.I would of course pull them aside and let them know you go all out for hween they are the parents and can do what they feel they need to with the info for their child.

· Seer of All
2,940 Posts
CHM, I see nothing wrong in how you are handling the situation. I don't think you need to make their situation into your problem. It's sad, of course, but they will deal with it. This is a business arrangement - it's not personal.
Hang in there...

· Typical Ghoul Next Door
9,122 Posts
You see this is the country. You pretty much gotta know where your going to get there. Most people don't know there is a house back here. Only people who know us. Same goes with our party and haunt it's just not something you light up along side the road. It is very private. I am not sure why I feel so compelled to show all this except for I don't want people thinking that I am some heartless person who would mess with a child's mind for my own personal gain.
Not sure what part of TN you're in, but I was born and raised in Western KY, and boy do your pics look like home. ;)

I don't think that ANYONE on these boards think you're heartless or thinking of personal gain. You are a good person, but it's just such an awful thing that little boy went through, that many of us have knee-jerk reactions to trying to protect both the boy AND make sure that you don't have to compromise your Halloween celebrations.

It's a tough situation, and you are the only one that knows your setup and will be seeing your tenants regularly. You do what you feel is best, and I'm sure it will work out.

· Registered
94 Posts
I agree that there "probably" won't be a problem with how the house is situated in relation to these people.

But the right thing to do is still tell them the situation now that you know how serious a problem this child has. Otherwise, you are giving these parents no chance to make contingency plans.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I was more afraid of what they might think of YOU once they find out you didn't tell them on day one.
Your pics are exactly as I expected the area to look like and will entice a young boy to explore since there is nothing else to do. I found an old cabin when I was that age and was determined to take it home piece by piece even tho' I was told it was haunted and an old hermit once lived there.
What I want to know is....HOW did you get a haunted house in those dense woods???

· Registered
199 Posts
Fear is a very powerful thing and in a sense a side from the sheer enjoyment we all get from planning and making props, staging and seeing the smiles our work puts on the faces of people, if the truth be known I think we all really to some extent relish in the power that the fear we create gives us. In saying all that maybe this was meant to be, and maybe you are able to be a good influance and source of therapy for the boy. Possibly welcoming him and gradually introducing him to your hobby, ask him if he might like to help you build props. We all know we can't get enough help anyway. Be sure to suggest the idea to the boys mother for her approval.
The only way to control your fears is to face your fear. Its a delicate situation and requires a delicate approach. good luck.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How I Got a Haunted House in the Woods.

What I want to know is....HOW did you get a haunted house in those dense woods???
Well there just so happens to be a clearing in those woods maybe 150-200 feet from my side. So basically we built a large cabin/barn (about 2700 sq. ft.)in that clearing. It has a clear path that goes straight to it. So if you look out of the windows in the front of my house you can see the path leading to it. The path is the exact width of our four-wheeler. We carried all of the materials in by hand and we have alot of cordless tools.

Originally it did not have electricity so we ran it off of a generator. But that thing was noisy. So we just covered the sound with noises in the woods. But since then we have run electricity to it. Recepticles that you would find say at an entry way to a gated area (exterior). Most of the walls on the inside move so there cant be any wiring in them. So alot of things are on heavy duty extension cords. Air compressor has to stay at a recepticle. All of the electricity is ran from a main breaker so that I can turn the electricity off to that without turning it off to my house and garage.

It is alot more sophisticated than it looks. Cause it is basically a barn. I would have loved to have discovered it when I was a kid but I wouldn't have had the guts to go in. It has no windows and it is very dark. But it has steel exterior doors that lock so no one is getting in there.

If a kid did manage to go in they would freak because it is very disorienting inside. Most of it is halls with some rooms and the halls are no more than 4 ft. wide. There are secret passageways (for actors) that come out in weird places, places that where our victims never go but you might if you were lost inside. In fact my actors get lost inside sometimes. We made the secret passages because of a few years back some of our actors were sick and the rest did double duty so they had to get to different sections.

Yea it's weird but I love it. About once a year I take my dog inside and I try to hide from him he loves trying to find me. But mostly I just get down there and work on it and hide from everyone else.

I think I will start a new thread with the floor plans.:rolleyes:

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,364 Posts
I think I will start a new thread with the floor plans.
Now that I'd like to see. You keep talking about it, but all I see is a dirt road and a clump of trees! I'd love to see some pics our your actual haunt!

If you look carefully, there are 17 people hiding in this picture. Also, a dinosaur, ancient castle ruins, two dancing nuns, and four monkeys playing poker. (the goats are just props)

· Registered
185 Posts
It's gonna be fine. Immersion therapy. What better way to learn the Halloween isn't bad than to live near people who love it. I mean how can fun really hurt people? Certainly don't coddle them. Let him know how it's gonna be in October, and if they need to leave for the weekend, just smile and wave as they drive away.

· Registered
118 Posts
CHM, It might have been a good idea to tell them from the start so that they could have decided for themselves of what they wanted to do, but if the deals done and over and they are moving in, I would just tell the parents about the house in the woods , if they ask what it's there for tell them straight out, which would bring up the subject of your party and haunted house on halloween. I lived in a wooded area when I was little and we explored everything. Just so they know that it's there and they can decide if they want to let him explore those woods. Telling them about the house also protects you in case he does go exploring and some how manages to get in and ends up getting hurt. It will end up being held against you because it's your land and they are your renters and you didn't let them know about the house. I've seen and heard of stories that renters try to blame their landlords for. You think you rented to nice people and then they turn on you. I know if I lived there I would at least want to know that there is a house in the middle of the woods that no one lives in, because if my child was wondering and was a little late getting back home that would be the first place to look. Kids now a days don't seem to be able to keep track of time!
As for everything else if they don't ask about the house when you tell them,I would just give them a heads up around August just so they can make plans for that weekend. Like you said Halloween is everywhere at that time. I think you said in one of your posts that you all pretty much know everybody and that your all neighborly. It's just the neighborly thing to do. I know I warm my neighbor's that I'm going to decorate and have a party. (They all pretty much couldn't believe their eyes when we moved in 3 yrs ago) I am the only person on my block who goes all out for Halloween. Well actually I think I'm the only one who does any decorating. I actually told my neighbor I was going to start useing her yard also. She just laughed at me and told me to knock my socks off and go head. She thinks I'm hilarious when it comes to Halloween. They wait everyday come september to see what new things I put out everyday!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, and don't let it ruin your Halloween Spirit!

· jester girl
18,198 Posts
i think you should let them know of your haunt. she said halloween is everywhere. and this is true. maybe this would be a good time for them to work with the child and his fears. when it gets close to halloween she could tell the child and turn that night into a positive night. she could suggest they camp out in the living room and make a tent and get flashlights and snacks and games and huddle together. they could have music and go all out. this would be a night to start facing the night together. start turning it around. you're not going to be able to protect the kid from halloween. to just hear noices might be a start in the right direction. it might be a first tough night, but they will make it. even if they just end up huddling together, it is still a first step. each time will get better with a positive attitude. protecting the kid isn't always the answer. taking time and working with the kid is. my heart goes out to the child and the family. he has been through a very tough time. most of all he needs to get back to a normal life, and it starts with slowly facing his fears and with the love and strength of God and good people he can.

· Imperial Hybrid (7)
705 Posts
CHM- After reading and viewing the pics of this thread , I do get what your are trying to say. Your haunt seems very private and secluded. It is apparent that you are aware, compassionate and concerned otherwise you would not have posted this on the forum.
The deed is done and the family has moved in apparently. So the best you can do is do what you feel is best in this situation. I am sure that you will.

However, I do agree with the other members that stated this general feeling:

You, as a landlord, had an obligation to tell your prospective tenants about
your annual events and Halloween passion. These people shared their confidence and story of their boy' s tragic event and how this holiday effects him. That was the opportune time to share with them Your event, your concerns and offer ideas and solutions to prevent any unfortunate trauma - either by the young boy "discovering" it on his own, or accidentally hearing sounds during your celebration. Looking in retrospect, if you had gone to great lengths with these people and letting them know you really wanted them as tenants and were willing to work with the family, the boys therapist etc, perhaps, this could have been a situation to help heal the boy's negative enigma associated with his mother's death at Halloween. Or certainly, the honesty from you (at that time,) would have prevented all the "soul searching" you are doing now.

If, I were the parents/guardian of this child. I would feel deeply betrayed
(and probably angry) when you do go to them and tell them about your annual plans and ask if they can "make arrangements" even at , your generous expense. I would be horrified at first, I think, and then sick at heart
worried about all the "what if's ", and then probably angry that I was
put into that psychological position , by your deliberate silence about an annual event and passion you love, that directly could effect the well being of my child.

I would "fess up" to these people immediately and bring some resolution
to your "soul searching" and feeling defensive of your decisions thus far. These "parents" did have a "right" to know about the situation. It may not be a legal right, but it is certainly a emotional one, since they shared this information with you "before" they moved in.
I would talk to this family now. Perhaps the terrible coincidence may reveal itself to a blessing for this young boy -
Waiting to broach this subject at a later date, will only create more stress
for you and perhaps a "situation" you might not want to have to deal with
when you need to have time to dedicate toward your event. Giving this family time, maybe the therapist included, you will find peaceful resolutions and healing or at the very least, give the family opportune time to search for
another place to be.
That is IMHO.

I understand it was and is a tough situation, and it is easy for any of us to form and opinion of agreement or disagreement after the fact. We were not there during the transactions of your renting the property. So who knows,
maybe given the same set of circumstances I would be going through the
same quandary as you. I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation.

So I will reiterate: The deed is done and the family has moved in apparently. So the best you can do is do is , what you feel is best in this situation. I am sure that you will.

I wish you the best of luck , and a gentle resolution to" all" involved.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Post some pictures of you haunted house ! THAT sounds awesome and
I am soooo jealous. It sounds like a wonderful place TO ME !!!!
You have a beautiful piece of property too.

· Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I don't think that ANYONE on these boards think you're heartless or thinking of personal gain. .
I love this forum and how supportive everyone one is, but in this instance I have to disagree.

I think she's thinking of personal gain...otherwise, she would have been upfront to begin with. The underlying message she's putting out is good tenants are hard to come by. Common courtesy would drive most here to have told the family up front about their love of Halloween and the haunted house. If she would have told the family up front, then they would have had the opportunity to decide whether or not to deal with it, now they are going to be forced to deal with it. Yes, Halloween is everywhere, but once you knew about it, there's kind of a moral obligation to let them know the situation they were getting into. Like Madame Leota said, "this is a Business arrangement, not personal" so don't pretend that caring about the kid takes precedence over collecting the rent

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.