Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rent house that is about 2/3 a mile away from my house. but about 2000 ft. the way the crow flies (straight across through the woods) The other day I was showing this house to a prospective tenant. While walking through the house the woman said "I hope you like Halloween cause my husband and I go all out for Halloween" I told her that I love Halloween and in fact in the woods between that house and mine I have a haunted house that is up all year (closer to my side for electricity). My 18 year old daughter was with me and when the woman left my daughter said "She's our new tenant because she loves Halloween" I told her not neccessarily because it's not wise to mix business with pleasure. After going over her application I realized the lady and her husband probably would not be living there.

Well, the gods decided to test me when they sent the next applicant. It was a woman, her husband and their adopted 10 yr. old son. They were perfect candidates. They were wonderful made plenty of money, sweet, clean and everything they wrote on their application was correct. I told them that they were selected and they came back to the house to measure some things. While they were there the mother told me that her son was having to see a therapist. I asked why what happened?

When the boy was 4 years old he woke up on Halloween morning in the bed with his real mother and she was dead. He stayed there with her all day and into the night and there were kids coming to his door trick or treating. Later that night someone found her and took her away. And he associates his mother's death with Halloween and can in no way see anything Halloween related. She said last Halloween was the first one he made it through without them having to give him something to sedate him.

I can't tell you the miracle it is that I didn't mention my love of Halloween to these people, because alot of my tenants come to my party. And I have never met a child I didn't try to get to go through my haunted house even in June. I turn it on and we go through it. Kids love that thing. He was about 10 min. away from being asked himself.

The other issue is the noise haunted house noises are scary. music, sound fx, etc. and you can hear ours for at least a mile because we put sounds in the woods around our house so it sounds like stuff in the woods. surround sound in the woods.

As the rest of you I am sure, Halloween is one of the great pleasures of my life. I love children and it hurts me to think that something I love will bring pain to this little boy. He is such a cute sweet thing.
My best friend said maybe it was meant to be this way for some reason. I hope she's right.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I don't see how that will help since it is Halloween everywhere. He will never SEE my haunted house he will only hear it. These people drove 4 hours just to rent our house because of it's proximity to certain things. there are not alot of other places to rent in this area because of the recent tornadoes. A town about 10 miles from here was almost wiped out and all of those people are displaced leaving nothing available. Like I said it's not wise to mix business with pleasure. I am a good landlord and I genuinely care about my tenants but I will not get rid of a good tenant even if I have to give her a couple of hundred dollars to spend the night away that night. But I can't give up Halloween. Let them live somewhere else? How do I know they will not move right across from some of the people on here who live next to the road and go all out. My house is 1500 foot off the road. No one else in this neighborhood does halloween except me (they all come to my house) It is unlikely that he will see anything but my heart hurts for him.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right it is hell finding a good tenant. Out of every 10 applicants you get a couple that you might consider out of every 25-30 you get one you know you would. I choose very carefully and I have never had to evict anyone. No one has ever damaged any of my properties and some still call me just to see how I am. (knock on wood). If the Halloween party were not mine but one of the neighbors I don't think I would have even thought to warn them since I feel as though Halloween images are everywhere. But since it was mine is why I was a little sad. Eccentually what I will be to these people is their neighbor so to be honest I felt like bringing up something that happens only once a year might be mean. I figured I just wouldn't mention anything Halloween. Of course I will mention it to her before the day but I am sure she's already on alert before then with things being in the stores and such that he can see. There is no way he will see my things unless he comes here. I hope no one thought that I meant I was going to get him over it by shoving Halloween down his throat. I would never hurt a kid plus I'm too busy doing that to my family.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are no laws concerning this. My home is my home and this home is not even on the same property. I know everyone must have in their minds that we are next door neighbors. This is the country we are not that close. They live down the road but the way the road goes around there is about 20 acres of woods seperating my house and that one. And in those woods is my haunted house. (on my side. but not all of the woods are mine)They would not even know we were neighbors if I hadn't told them. That is the only house I own that the tenants even know where I live. This is a very weird situation.

Based on things that the woman said she basically said she just has to deal with Halloween because it is everywhere. And I figured that was probably true. But no other landlord would have told her about the crazy neighbors who go nuts at Halloween. And basically that is what the situation is. I (the landlord) did not tell them about the weirdos down the road who have a Halloween party. I am not the only person (obviously by this forum) who celebrates Halloween. And I am probably not the only weirdo down the road. I really don't know how this child can avoid everything Halloween.

All of the things that we all say remind us of Halloween and of the season probably remind him as well. I decided to wait to say anything until the time I figured she would be dealing with it anyway. I just didn't feel like bring up my eccentricities to her. Being that he will not have to deal any more with me than with the rest of the world.

your haunt will probably be up for more than one night, especially if you start sending kids through in the summer
Just so everyone is clear. I am not standing by the road in the summer like John Wayne Gacy handing out balloons. My haunt is in the woods. So no one can see it unless they drive up my 1/4 mile drive way. And walk into the woods. It cannot be seen from the road or from this boys house. or anyone's house including mine if the trees have leaves. No one knows it's there except for the people who have been in it or know of someone who has. This is not a drive by haunt. The only children that go into it are either my children when they want to scare their friends or kids of people who come to visit. I will turn everything on and take them in. But I will not take him in. For the most part he probably will never know. He will hear the sounds because people who lived there before we bought it (when we were only neighbors) complained. But if he is not there he will not hear.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok here's an aerial map of my house and the the other property. keep in mind that my house is about 2700 square feet. and the clear square it is sitting right in the middle of is 5 acres.

I didn't feel they were close enough to say anything and I still don't. As you can see my haunted house is in the woods. I wanted it farther in the woods but I couldn't get electricity any farther away. that red line is my drive way. It is private. no traffic. At the bottom of that red line is the road. That is the closest anyone can see anything which is nothing. Even looking at the picture you can't see my haunt and it is there. The only other place that you can see Halloween is in my front yard a few days before my Halloween party and inside of my house. . Besides concrete gargoyles that sit on brick columns on either side of driveway about where haunted house is. None of which can be seen driving by. So you see to mention it didn't feel right either. Plus there were other circumstances. Such as she drove 4 hours back just to give me a deposit to hold it for her because she wanted to live there. I figured we could all figure something out for one night. I just don't feel as though I was dishonest. It isn't black mold and I didn't know how to bring it up.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Since it's only 2000 feet into the woods the boy may stumble across your haunted house while exploring the woods so I would at least warn the parents about that. Once he meets other kids I'm sure they will let him know about the cool halloween lady that lives nearby...hopefully they can help him overcome his problem

Now that is possible, if he wanders through the woods. but most of the time it is locked unless I'm working on something. but if it wasn't locked I doubt he would actually step foot inside. Plus he probably wouldn't see anything cause without the breaker on it is pitch black inside. I am almost too chicken to walk in there myself with the lights off. As far as the other kids in the neighborhood goes. well sadly they have all grown up. What few there was as it was mostly older people. My daughter just graduated high school and my son is a senior this year but besides them the next youngest in the neighborhood is me and my husband. We are all pretty close in this neighborhood though so I will give them all a heads up as to his situation. But I think she will tell them herself she is very friendly. And everyone around here will treat them nicely. I know they will be o.k.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Rant

I am sorry Chm, but I guess I disagree with you on this matter

Disagree with me about what exactly?

Looking at your map, if the red line is your driveway, it looks like the tenants could pass by it, being it is the main road in front of their rental
Yes they will pass my mailbox you cannot see my house from the road.

I am sure you will have signs up the month of Oct. at the entry of the driveway, plus at other locations, the other side of rental (maybe)
You should not be so sure. I do not advertise in any way. I get way too many people as it is. It is word of mouth only. I don't charge so I don't advertise. I have a wooden arrow that simply says haunted house that I hang on my mailbox. I am sure that is much more benign to this boy than what you see everywhere else.

Plus it will be the Fall and the woods will be thinning (leaves do fall)
Actually they are still in the trees. Plus you cannot see from the rent house to my haunt in the dead of winter.

You did admit, I believe, that you sometimes take children though the haunt even in June? I am sorry to disagree with you on this (I do love halloween too) and I do know it is hard to find a good tenant. Keep in mind the child is troubled.
Some trouble never heals or could heal badly.
Remember this, not only for the childs safety, but also.....for your own family.
Please read all my posts. You say you disagree with me but about what I am not sure. Plus please don't forget that I live here. You don't. You have no idea what this neighborhood looks like now or on October 31. Yes I take kids through it sometime throughout the year KIDS I KNOW. I think if some of you applied this situation to your own job you would also not have said anything. To think I can obliterate Halloween from the planet for this child? I can't. But I know MY situation and I know what I can control as far as what this boy sees from me. He will see nothing. He may hear something but if you will read older posts in this thread and not just the most recent you will see that I and others have figured a way for him not to hear anything as well. I am truly sorry for this rant. But I am not a person who would not keep troubled children in mind. I also have to keep my own children in mind as I try to make a living. I think the rest of you would do the same even if you have to make adjustments for one night.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok so here we are about 2/3 of the way down my driveway going toward my house. my drive vears to the right so you still can't see my house. You are actually looking at my haunted house in this picture. But you can't see it unless you go in the woods. That's why I have never really posted pictures of it. It's hard to get anything other than maybe the door.

this is with me standing beside my mailbox. To the left there is my hayfield. The guy has not cut it yet. It will get a second cutting in the fall that may or may not be there the night of my party. Either way you still can't see

and these are the goats across the road.

You see this is the country. You pretty much gotta know where your going to get there. Most people don't know there is a house back here. Only people who know us. Same goes with our party and haunt it's just not something you light up along side the road. It is very private. I am not sure why I feel so compelled to show all this except for I don't want people thinking that I am some heartless person who would mess with a child's mind for my own personal gain.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How I Got a Haunted House in the Woods.

What I want to know is....HOW did you get a haunted house in those dense woods???
Well there just so happens to be a clearing in those woods maybe 150-200 feet from my side. So basically we built a large cabin/barn (about 2700 sq. ft.)in that clearing. It has a clear path that goes straight to it. So if you look out of the windows in the front of my house you can see the path leading to it. The path is the exact width of our four-wheeler. We carried all of the materials in by hand and we have alot of cordless tools.

Originally it did not have electricity so we ran it off of a generator. But that thing was noisy. So we just covered the sound with noises in the woods. But since then we have run electricity to it. Recepticles that you would find say at an entry way to a gated area (exterior). Most of the walls on the inside move so there cant be any wiring in them. So alot of things are on heavy duty extension cords. Air compressor has to stay at a recepticle. All of the electricity is ran from a main breaker so that I can turn the electricity off to that without turning it off to my house and garage.

It is alot more sophisticated than it looks. Cause it is basically a barn. I would have loved to have discovered it when I was a kid but I wouldn't have had the guts to go in. It has no windows and it is very dark. But it has steel exterior doors that lock so no one is getting in there.

If a kid did manage to go in they would freak because it is very disorienting inside. Most of it is halls with some rooms and the halls are no more than 4 ft. wide. There are secret passageways (for actors) that come out in weird places, places that where our victims never go but you might if you were lost inside. In fact my actors get lost inside sometimes. We made the secret passages because of a few years back some of our actors were sick and the rest did double duty so they had to get to different sections.

Yea it's weird but I love it. About once a year I take my dog inside and I try to hide from him he loves trying to find me. But mostly I just get down there and work on it and hide from everyone else.

I think I will start a new thread with the floor plans.:rolleyes:

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Scatterbrains, just curious what do you do for a living? And do you do that living for personal gain? Thought so.

So yes I am trying to collect the rent. I live on profits as you might live on wages, tips or commissions. I do always have that in my mind. I want to find good people to be my tenants but in the case of this house, I was also looking at her as a possible neighbor. She seemed like a wonderful woman who is in her last year of college to be a teacher. That boy loves her very much. But he does have a problem with Halloween. He has to have therapy and living in Nashville is more than they can afford.

Beacuse of the recent tornadoes there really isn't that many places to rent and the ones that are available are mobile homes. My houses do not stay vacant for more than a few days. But I like to find what I feel like is the right person. Especially for this house because it is so close to mine.

If you do not understand all of my reasoning that's fine but don't tell me I don't care about the well being of this kid. You know sometimes the tenant wants the house badly too. She drove 4 hours just to come here to finalize eveything. I didn't know about the boy's acual problem until the last few minutes. Honestly I just didn't know what to say. So I did what I usually never do. I said not one word of Halloween. That is how I plan to handle it for now.
I will play it by ear from now on. Like I said before he will probably not know anything is going on. In fact I never really thought he would. I posted this originally because I just could not believe the irony of the situation.

Oh and I hope someone with a Halloween phobia moves right next door to you. BYE BYE HALLOWEEN. I doubt it or perhaps you could move. You would want to do the right thing after all.

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
My thoughts are that you feel kinda guilty about what you did, so you come to the rah rah group for absolution...then again, maybe you don't feel any guilt.
I don't feel any guilt. Sad for him yes. Guilty no. Perhaps I should rewrite my lease and with the lead paint disclosure form and insurance opt out, I should include a Halloween warning form. :rolleyes: It's just not something that has ever come up.

Your comments about why you selected them speak volumes: They were wonderful made plenty of money, sweet, clean and everything they wrote on their application was correct
Yea. Duh. If they don't make money how am I going to get mine?

· Foolish Mortal
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ok so I took her to the side and told her that in those woods there is a haunted house that we run at our Halloween party on the Sat. before Halloween. I told her he wouldn't see anything but that there was a pretty good chance he might hear something. She did look distraught but then she shook her head and in her very southern accent said " It don't matter" She told me that what usually bothers him the most are trick or treaters.

Apparently her sister or friend I can't remember which also did a haunted house one year in her garage. The boy was ok with it as far as hearing it and knowing it was there but he wasn't ok when they tried to get him to go in. (not his mom but her sister) She felt that she could get him over it by her husband chasing him around with a chainsaw. Anyway that evidently didn't go well so she is still mad at her sister and her husband. No one here is going to do anything to that boy so he will be o.k. and there are no trick or treaters :(

I knew that the only evidence of Halloween he was going to get here was the sounds from my haunt so that's why I never said anything. But I still feel bad for him, because to me as all of you, Halloween is such a positive fun thing and he may never feel that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.