Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I'll learn all these rooms eventually. :)

We're still working hard on all the decorations and such for the Witches Ball, but I noticed today that something wasn't right yet, and that was the band stage. It's an average size stage I suppose, enough for a 5 or 6 piece band easily. I've searched for an hour or so in the archives but really didn't come up with much for this, unless I'm completely over looking it, but does anyone have any great ideas on how to decorate a band stage? I'm thinking perhaps a backdrop on the back wall, but nothing else is really coming to me. I also don't want to go overboard with this area and take away from the bands, but I think I need more than a backdrop on a wall. I wished I had more time to begin making those spooky looking columns I noticed in a few posts on here, but not this year. :(

Anyway, I am TOTALLY open for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello Conjure Girl.
We have had a HOWL-O-Ween Bash for the past few years to support the Sevier County Humane Society, TN and I found that a simple works best.
A simple background works best, so as not to complete with the Band.
Examples:
I did a very simple graveyard set up the first year. with a few Cool effects stones at the front of the stage and added cardboard solutes of trees; that were back light just in front of the curtains and with lighting effects between them.
So there was (the 3 COW rule) 3 levels of height. An art teacher once said you can paint a picture of any 3 thing and it will look good even COW. LOL so I use this rule for many different areas.
The Trees that were tallest,... then the Band,... the the Stone on the edge of the stage (Smaller ones) and (Taller ones with Foggers) on the dance floor, drawing everything together; and the attendees up into the scene; add to an forced perspective effect.
One of the EXTRA effects I did was use a Boris skull to make an animated singing ghost, and I had him sing with the band by running audio from the lead singers mic to him too.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The second year: I did a castle and Lab them. but the Idea was to keep the main room in mine as it was set up with giant candelabras that were black lights too. I can send you the link to the pictures. I just don't know how to post picture to this forum though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad, yes please, I'd love to check out the pics. That's sounds really interesting!

LadyAlthea, I like! Would you happen to know if and where I could get a pre-made backdrop like that? I remember seeingone with a bunch of tall tress but it didn't have a moon effect in it. Now THAT would set it off right!

DeadTed, there will be 3 bands there total, one metal, one doom and the other is a cover band. The first is a four piece band, lead guitar, backup guitar, bass player and drummer, all standing but the drummer. The second band is three piece, lead, heavy bass and drummer, again all standing but the drummer. the last band, the cover group is 5 pieces, same as the first band but a vocalist that doesn't play, only sings. I'm not sure if any have keyboards or not, or at least they never mentioned it when I was talking out details with them. I hope that helped! :)

Thanks for the help, I'll be patiently waiting to hear from all of you!

·
likes candy & razorblades
1,085 Posts
i dont know where you could get a premade one. but you could make one from muslin that you get in the sewing dept of most major stores.

if you hang it on the wall, you could use a projector to outline it then paint it.

oh i just found this! a ton of backdrops!
kind of pricey though! sheesh!

Backdrops Fantastic - Halloween and Horror Theme Backdrops

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know where you could get a premade one. but you could make one from muslin that you get in the sewing dept of most major stores.

if you hang it on the wall, you could use a projector to outline it then paint it.

oh i just found this! a ton of backdrops!
kind of pricey though! sheesh!

Backdrops Fantastic - Halloween and Horror Theme Backdrops
Whoa, they ARE pricey! But they sure do look fantastic. They're probably so high because they say they are hand painted. If that's the case, some of them would have taken forever to paint. Still, they are very nice to the eyes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
If you're needing to keep it inexpensive, and don't want anything that's going to detract from the bands, perhaps a very basic background will do.

Hang some black fabric over the wall - as smooth as possible.
Then, make some burgundy colored drapes - pull them back, tie them with black sash, so the backdrop is total black, framed by the drapes.

Pick up a couple of inexpensive little lanterns, put flickering tealights in them (or, using the tutorials on this site, make them look like candles), and suspend them from the ceiling with fishing line, to give a little ambiance (or, perhaps if the back wall is solid, use a couple of wall mounted candle holders to put them in).

Simple and spooky...in a subtle way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts