Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else every get in one? I keep telling myself to get off my butt an get to work! But I just cant seem to get into the mood to work on anything let alone start something new? I look on here every other day and hope it gives me the push I need, but I never start anything. I want to make a bigger graveyard this years and have plans in my head, but I cant seem to wanna make it happen?

I need help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
in rut

I too get that way.
Been watching Halloween themed movies and going thru pictures of my past haunts so I see all the things I can improve upon. It makes me try to do better and get off my butt.

Weekend walks with the Wife and Dogs thru cemeteries is a good way to get inspiration and motivation. :)

Good luck. I'll watch thread to see what ways you came up with.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am right there with both of you. I have already decide not to create anything new this year.
I was going to attempt a very difficult build this year but after running into a few snags during the planning phase I decided to place it on hold until I have everything planned out correctly. To me, there is nothing more frustrating than creating a project that just does not work. So, I would rather sit back and enjoy watching the rest of you build until I can figure my project out.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Don't sweat it. You can't force inspiration. It'll hit you at some point..or it won't. You mentioned a bigger graveyard, so maybe attempt a small, manageable project that you know you can get done. That might be the push you need. Getting ideas from the forum is nice, but sometimes I think it can be daunting, seeing some of the over the top things people here accomplish and trying to "keep up". Go at your own pace. It might take you longer but remember that anything you do for Halloween makes it special for someone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I felt the same way a few weeks ago. Then we changed our theme for this year and I got excited again. Just a few tweaks to props but it got me inspired.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yup same here. This is the first time I've gotten on this site this year. I haven't done anything and I'm usually knee deep in paper mache by now! It doesn't help that I'm on a deadline to finish up a quilt. As soon as I'm done I'm going to try and get at least one or two new pieces out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yaknow, sometimes it's good to just blow it off until you "feel it". A couple of years ago I just wasn't in the mood to do much of anything - not even motivated to put up my display. I did, but it was a chore to get it done. Everyone has off years - it's perfectly normal. This year I'm very motivated, but circumstances are against me for getting a display up, so I'm helping a new neighbor with theirs. Be patient, and see what happens
HM

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hittin the wall myself my friends...
After a promising start with a couple cool scarecrows I've completely gone off the rails. Bought a couple things, but in my case...as with many here...buying is only the first step. A few weeks ago I was told that a local farm was going to donate 100-200 cornstalks if I wanted them, great...awesome, I immediately finalized plans on 6 other scarecrows and cornfield related props, got a line on a wagon, even toyed with the idea of a barn facade...go big right? Completely scrapped ideas for detail heavy but not huge cemetery, not scrapped, but tucked away. Friday I was told 100-200 was actually 20-30 at most, so the holding pattern I've been in aside from drawing and planning has yielded nothing and the budget is starting to tighten (big on budgets and stuff...be an example for kids...plan and stick...all that), so....

Contemplating what to do, re start the cemetery build, fence columns, sign, trees, zombies,.....stones, what many take so long to do, do in a month and a half

or

take the stalks, buy more and move ahead with Scarecrows and pumpkins. I could theoretically do both, property is large and I could do both sides of driveway leading to house, but added expense, lots of work and little time. I also have last years witch coven I have torn apart to re build bodies as an option. I'm not working tomorrow due to an am bi yearly ortho check up, I feel like that is the deadline, choose and choose fast. What I do tomorrow will decide which direction I take this. No pressure.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There are some days I have hit the wall and other days that I say wouldn't it be nice not to have the hassle with all of this for the next 2 months. (I know my wife would like that!)

But like jdubbya said, it make it special for someone out there. I have had neighbors tell me how much their kids look forward to this every year. You know that it will leave the same good memories as it did when we all were growing up and caught the Halloween bug.

With that said, it make me feel that I need to go bigger and better every year, but you know, there is only so much time and money that one can put into this.

So to get over that wall, I go into my Halloween hording space and start looking at what I have done in the past and try to narrow down the mania in my head to either tweek something that I have done in the past to make it better or how I can use the stuff I have to make a new scene or scare. I know that alot of my props could be updated and/or made better from when I started building.

When I start thinking that you need 20 wiper motors to do what you want to do, it is time to scale back and make a realist list of what can be done with the time and money available.

So maybe a trip to the Halloween room with pen and paper, a small "Too Do" list, (something that you can do in a day or so) might get the blood moving and get you over the wall. When the first list is done, make the next and so on until the big day........and DON"T LOOK AT THE BIG RED "DAYS LEFT" on the forum.

PB

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, it makes me feel better knowing Im not the only one. I guess the reason I posted this was to help me get back in the mood, and it did give me a push. I cleaned up my garage and moved my "to be graveyard fence" all to one corner and I was able to see it again (you know what I mean) and I made a list of what I needed to make it happen. My loving wife even said she would make me some flicker candles if I cut the PVC, how cool is that?

Starting to feel like a kid again, thank you:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
i am so stuck in that mode right now i had a haunt at my house in peekskill ny for 5 years got alot of notoriety there grew it from 150 people through to 450 my final year there. wife lost job mother got terminally ill had to move to town 30 miles north first year about 85 people came through after a blizzard buried everything 4 days before halloween and most of town had no power last year started setting up beginnijng of september then hurricane sandy came through and had to rtear everything that could blow away down and store it then it rained for 3 days then halloween day rushed to put up cemetary and get some props in position 1 out of animatronics i have built actually hooked up half of town without power again 65 people came through. i keep looking at hundreds of hours spent and noone by comparison seeing it. this year is one last try hoping to not have a third "storm of the century" ruin it and maybe do some advertising this in middle of new ding table project made from 2.5" thick oak and welded steel legs and i did run compressed ait lines with black iron pipe accroos entire basement so workshop and several outlets outside for props will have compressed air

·
The Haunting Girl
846 Posts
I was completely demotivated after Hurricane Sandy (we also got hit the year before with a Halloween snow storm). It was like why should I even bother if the weather was going to be like this every year. I tried a few times to 'get back on the horse', but it just wasn't happening. I felt really bad though because my co-workers kept asking about the progress on my haunt for the past few months and I just didn't have the heart to tell them I was in a rut and not doing anything.
It's only in the past few days that I have been feeling more motivated to get started. Of course now I'm in a time crunch to get stuff done. I know it's going to look great to everyone else, because no one does Halloween like I do in my neighborhood. But I know it won't be what I want it to be.
I'm just praying we at least have decent weather this year. I think if we get another storm, I'm just going to pack everything up and sell it.

F

·
0 Posts
I need cool weather before my halloween magic appears. 92 degrees = no halloween feeling.

If you don't want to create, don't. Just put up your stuff and enjoy. Every year doesn't have to be a fast paced race of stress and building and anxiety. That kills it for me.

F

·
0 Posts
I was completely demotivated after Hurricane Sandy (we also got hit the year before with a Halloween snow storm). It was like why should I even bother if the weather was going to be like this every year. I tried a few times to 'get back on the horse', but it just wasn't happening. I felt really bad though because my co-workers kept asking about the progress on my haunt for the past few months and I just didn't have the heart to tell them I was in a rut and not doing anything.
It's only in the past few days that I have been feeling more motivated to get started. Of course now I'm in a time crunch to get stuff done. I know it's going to look great to everyone else, because no one does Halloween like I do in my neighborhood. But I know it won't be what I want it to be.
I'm just praying we at least have decent weather this year. I think if we get another storm, I'm just going to pack everything up and sell it.
I sure hope you have good weather.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Do you all think it's a combination of two things. One because last year Halloween was in the middle of the week and I kept reading from many of your posts , that you just did not have the number of TOT'S as the years before. This year it's Thursday and the mind is saying why try if they don't show up again this year. Also last year, it seems we all got beat up by storms at the end and were mentally exhausted by the time Halloween came around. I just tell myself to push through it and enjoy. Make just a couple of plans for new props and go at it. The weather really has not helped either as hot as it has been. That too will change. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
19 Participants
Sleepersatty99
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing