Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to live in this apartment building called El Cerrito Apartments. It is on the corner of Franklin Ave and El Cerrito Ave in Hollywood, Ca. and this place is haunted!

When i lived there around 1990 to about 1992, my mom was the manager of the apartment building. It has about 51 units i think. The building has stories that would make your mind trip, a few of them i will share with you here that i experienced at an early age.

First some history on the building (that i remember). The building was built on an old burial ground sometime into he early 1900's. It was originally a hotel for Hollywood’s finest to stay at. Around 1920 or so, reports of suspicious things began to happen. Murders, deaths, suicides, robberies. All of these bad things began to happen to regular tenants of the hotel.

I don’t know when the hotel became an apartment building, but i do know what happened when i was there.

When we first moved in, my mom was heavy into the psychic and beyond world. I, my mom and my brother lived in a single apartment room. That is all we could afford at the time. We were in this single for a few months until an opening came within the building for a new manager. during that time things started to happen around the building that were confirming the stories we had heard about the place, but the good stuff didn’t happen until my mom got the management position.

After she got the management spot, we moved to the managers’ apartment on the corner of the building. A bigger apartment, lots more space, and that’s when things got nuts.

The apartment building has been redecorated and kind of gutted today. When we were there, there was stuff in there that was original to the buildings history. You would be able to walk in right off the street, and enter the lobby area. There were couches in there. The front office had the original radio station that was networked into each apartment unit. There was a soda machine in the basement, which is where the washer and dryer were. There was also a shrine with wicka candles and crosses dedicated to Marilyn Monroe and pres Kennedy, with pictures of them and other famous people. This shrine was placed on the wall of the hallway, where one of the fire extinguishers was to go. We never touched the shrine because we were told it would be horrible luck to whoever altered the placement of the setting.

Walking into the apartment building you would get chills. It always felt like someone was watching or following you.

Now for some stories....

When i would walk down the hallways, these long hallways, i couldn’t walk in the center. I had to walk alongside the wall, rubbing the wall as i walked. Almost grinding against it. Sometimes it just felt like there were these beastly figures walking past you or pushing on you. Other reports of people walking down the halls had the same problems as i did. The fear that something or someone was directly in front of or on top of you if you walked down the center of the paths.

One night i remember, me, my brothers ex girlfriend and her friend were in the living room of our apartment. The apartments had these wall mounted beds, so i was sitting on the bed, they were in the chairs. i remember sitting there listening to them talk, and it was around 12am or so, very late, and the front door opened, closed and we heard heavy foot steps leading into the living room on the wood floor, from the door. When we heard the door open and close and the footsteps, we didn’t say a word. The presence of something in the room was very real. We starred at each other for a few seconds, and then ran out of the apartment.

Another night, real late (or early) probably around 3 or 4am, the entire building was woken up at the same time....what had happened was amazing. Every door in the building had opened and slammed shut at the exact same time. At first it was described as a bomb exploding by your ears. Some people had been up already and witnessed their door open and close. Every single door (we assume every door) had opened and slammed. The entire building pretty much emptied out. Everyone was shocked and scarred. The cops were called but what could they do....that was a truly crazy morning.

One night, my mom got a knock on the door from a lady who lived in the building. This lady we never ever saw. She had like 8 locks on her door. She always stayed in her apartment. She had several million dollars and lived alone. She kept a lot of her money in her apartment. Like a chest full of it. She never opened her doors, and had her meals delivered to her by a private company. Well one night this lady knocked on our door and asked my mom to go to the apartment. She had a problem. A ghost problem. When they got to the apartment, we were told from the lady that she was lying on her bed and was awoken by a sound and when she looked up she said she saw a ghost lady vacuuming her room. She said she lay in her bed watching the ghost maid for about 20 minutes before she got up and left the apartment. The ghost had looked at her several times and continued to vacuum the room. When we got the room, this lady had carpet in her apartment that was thick. When we got to the room, the carpet was all flush, going one way. Like no one had walked on it at all.

a close friend of ours had moved into the building. this guy was a ladies’ man. a body builder. Cuban don juan kinda guy. anyhoot, one night i was woken up to this guy, our friend banging on our door. he was pretty much white. his hair was standing up and he looked like he was having a heart attack. he couldn’t breath. what he told us was crazy. he said he went downstairs to the basement area to get a soda. the soda machine lights were on. he put the money in, hit the button and no soda came down. so he hit it a few times and then the soda came down. when he picked up the can, the can was empty, but still sealed on the top. he said he stood there for a second or so, and then got chills all over, and then the light on the soda machine went off, then back on, then off. he stepped back and then saw on the floor that the cord to the soda machine was unplugged and off to the side. after he saw the cord, he turned around and ran to our apartment. the soda had no puncture on it at all. the pressure of the can was that of it being completely sealed, no holes, no leaks.

we had a friend of ours who lived on the first floor, by the lobby. this guy was kind of an assistant to my mom. helped around the building. a nice guy. one day he came to the apartment with a few tenants that live close to the lobby and they wanted to show us something. they brought us down to the lobby, and all of the furniture had been pushed against the wall, stacked on top of each other. as if it was moved out of the way. and this is VERY heavy furniture. I’m talking like a couch on top of another couch on top of a table, and chairs stacked. they had said that they heard banging and rumbling for about 10 seconds and ran out to see what happened and everything was like it was against the walls. there were reports that the center of that room was once used as a dance floor for celebs in the early 20's.

the apartment building was wired to an unplugged, out of service radio system. in every apartment and throughout the building there were small speakers. numerous times we had reports of music coming out of the speakers. music that sounded as if it was from he early 20's and 30's. it was always reported to be very faint music. you could hear it but could never make it louder. the system that the speakers were hooked up to was not connected to anything. there was no power in the system, and most of it was gutted. it was mainly used like a counter if anything.

besides the building there was a very small field that was gated off from the public. it just had junk in there and tall trees and tall yellow grass. sometimes you could look out the side windows of the building or your own window and we had reports of the grass moving as if someone is walking through it, but no one was ever there.

one day, my mom and I were on the roof sun bathing. just relaxing. we use to have bbq's up there and invite the building. it was cool. so me and my mom were up there, and i remember her jumping up screaming that bees were attacking her, and i heard the buzzing and she took off running. to this day i have the vision of her running down the stairs and grabbing the corner of the post to pull herself around the corner. she ran all the way to the apartment screaming that bees were in her hair. that entire day, i felt like i had bees all over me, around me, on me. i couldn’t shake the feeling. maybe the trauma of seeing my mom go through that had affected me to feel as if they were there the rest of the day and night, but i couldn’t shake it. i even sat in the bath tub with water and i couldn’t stop feeling as if bees were on me or crawling on me.

and finally, the best story i think i have on this place. there was this young guy living in an apartment in the lobby area. he was an up and coming actor or someone who thought he was an actor. his apartment was very cool. he had a checker board table in his living room. nice TV. he always had girls over. i use to hang out at his house and play checkers with him and watch TV and play on his Nintendo. it was cool. one night, i remember it was late, he came to our apartment screaming and banging on the door. his shirt was soaked as if he had killed someone. in some type of blood. he was crying and screaming and going nuts. he said he was sitting on his couch watching TV and he saw something drop on his checker table. he leaned forward and saw a drop of blood. he said he looked up and saw a body hanging from the ceiling fan, and as he saw this vision, he said instantly blood poured on him and all over the table and floor, as if it was a splash of blood or someone throwing a bucket of blood on him. he said he jumped up and screamed and ran out of the apartment and bolted it to our apartment. the cops were called, and we went to the apartment. there was no blood anywhere. not on the table, the floor, the couch. no blood in his entire apartment. the TV was still on. he was able to tell us what show was on and everything. the remote for his TV was on the floor where he said it fell after he jumped up and ran out. the very next day he moved out.

now you guys might hear stories of haunted buildings and houses, but in my opinion, since i lived through it and witnessed it, this is truly a haunted apartment building. Something to not toy with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just have to ask...... Do they really know that the land used to be a burial ground?

I have no doubt that it may be haunted, but I think the "it used to be a burial ground" gets added to the story just to make people feel better.

I mean if it could happen anywhere, wouldn't people be more afraid of it.

BTW, thanks for sharing. I love these kinds of stories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmmm..

Sounds like you are talking about the building I manage..and though I love a good ghost story..all the spooks you refer to must have vacated with the actor..
Nothing creepy here for the past 10 years..and I'm the first one to say come on out and play spirits..
Good try though..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you are talking about the building I manage..and though I love a good ghost story..all the spooks you refer to must have vacated with the actor..
Nothing creepy here for the past 10 years..and I'm the first one to say come on out and play spirits..
Good try though..
you manage the el cerrito apartments on franklin and el cerrito in hollywood? i dont know what kind of stuff goes on there now, but when i was there, the stories i shared were very real, very true. i was there around 1990-1993. when i was there, we had the flash flood in the sepulveda dam, so i think that was around 1991-1992. and i wasnt there for the northridge earthquake, we had already moved down the street actually in 1994.

anyhoot, its probably nice and quiet now i imagine. they have had, im sure, plenty of psychics and with doctors come out to banish spirits. who knows. 20 years ago, that place was very haunted, just as i described in my story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have to ask...... Do they really know that the land used to be a burial ground?

I have no doubt that it may be haunted, but I think the "it used to be a burial ground" gets added to the story just to make people feel better.

I mean if it could happen anywhere, wouldn't people be more afraid of it.

BTW, thanks for sharing. I love these kinds of stories.
well according to old records that we had in the office, it before the housing and bullsh!t that is all there now, it was all land owned by old native groups or something. and ofcourse the land was taken over in the early 1900's and i guess from there was pieced out into hollywoods grasp. i think going north up the hill on that street, is to the runyon canyon, is actually the only reamining property owned by the city, which is now a park. its also been cut down to allow for building houses and apartments so it goes way back now to another street, i dont remember the name.

but anyhoot, the old data that we use to have on it was that it was a burial ground, then demolished and turned into what now is hollywood and actually almost the center of hollywood. all that junk we see there now, the hollywood and highland area, from highland to la brea, from franklin to sunset blvd, was once all private owned land, and was supposidly "taken" during the early 1900's to late 1800's. i dont know if it is true, since i wasnt born yet, but its something to think about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is the website for the apartment bulding: http://www.elcerritoapts.com/

viewing the first pic, http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/dscn4757.jpg#pic that picture is the picture of the lobby. that use to FILLED with old antique furniture. real rustic old stuff.

http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/dscn4711.jpg#pic

this picture is the entrance leading into the building. out first apartment was on the 2nd floor to the left of that photo in a small single. it was horrible. 3 of us in that single until my mom got the management spot. i remember my cat fell out of the window and we had to go under the building to get her. there was lots of crazy old crap under the building. jars with old money in it we found and old paper with writing on it we couldnt read, like handwriting scribble. we had a box of stuff we found under the building in the office for a long time.

http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/dscn4709.jpg#pic

this photo is the picture of the long walkway to the front entrance. it never use to look like this. it was a dirty brown color building. the owner always refused to paint it. and there was never a fence blocking the street off. that was added around 2000 i think, maybe 2002. i still drive by there all the time. that walkway, @ night, you felt like you were being watched. it was a nuts feeling.

http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/DSC_7612.JPG#pic

this picture here, the stairs are awkward. the center stairs go up to 2nd floor and roof access, the stairs on the left goto the left column of the building and down the parking lot side. that doorway you see to the right of the stairs goto the basement. thats where its this wide, open area and the laundry is down there. and there was the soda machine there also. when our friend got the sealed empty can out of the soda machine, he ran from that entrance to the center stairs to 2nd floor and all across the building to our apartment which is right here: http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/dscn4774.jpg#pic that top floor window is the managers window. that was our apartment for a while. i think its apartment 50 or 51.

that front entry though wasnt there. alot of the building structure has changed since 2000 or so, so i assume that the shrines to the people int he fire extinguisher outlets arent there, and lots of old history has been removed. im sure of it.

http://www.elcerritoapts.com/1/Apartments-in-Hollywood-Hills-photo/photos/cache/DSC_7596.JPG#pic this picture is the picture of the "balcony" area infront of the entrance to the building. there use to be stories of people hearing footsteps in this area and no1 would be here. and sounds of arguing from here. and the lights always were going on and off or flickering in this one area. thess were alot of old reports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts