Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband just came upstairs in a panic (for him) and tells me there is a bat flying around the living room. Sure enough a bat, about a foot wide (with wings), is flying around in a little panic of his own. We have an old house where every room is...a separate room...not open concept at all, so we closed it off and watched through the french doors for a half a minute. Amazing! Really neat to see one up close, flying all around. So my husband went in and caught him in one of those mesh, collapsible hampers pretty quickly and we took him outside. We watched him climbing around in the hamper for another half a minute and then let him fly off. Sooooo cute!

But I'm sure he'll be back. We noticed last summer that we had 2 bats in the attic and we're not sure how they get in. My husband noticed one up there flying around over the weekend. Does anyone have experience with bats in the house or how to safely block them from getting in? Should we call a professional? I don't want them hurt but we could do without the thrill of sharing our house with them.

·
The Sea Witch
2,447 Posts
wow thats a big one! LOL

we had one get in the house through a fireplace when i was a kid.

we also had a squirrel get in the house.

my husband and i have had possums and birds get in (all in the same house, mind you). the bird was just this past week.

i swear we dont live in the back woods of alaska (though we HAVE actually LIVED in alaska! LOL)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Putting bat houses outside, if you have the proper conditions, further away from your home could help deter them from coming inside. :) They're really interesting to watch up close, though! One got into the antique mall where my mom used to work, I've seen one in a parking garage, and I saw a group of bats flying overhead on a dark day at a soccer field. They're fascinating.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Now that I know more about bats, we welcome them in our yard, but if they are getting in the house - not so much! My Aunt had a problem with them getting into her attic via the chimney. There ended up being a LOT of bats up there & she had to get a professional in to clear them out, clean up all the droppings (ugh!) and seal the openings they were coming through.

If this were me, I would call a professional to get it checked out. Since you say you have an older home, you might not be able to easily pinpoint all of the entrances. And, if there are droppings around, you don't really want to be breathing that stuff in or have it get wet & cause further problems or rot. Hopefully it was a one-time thing & you can just screen your chimney - but, I admit I'd want to be sure! Good luck & glad you saved the little guy! :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback all! It was REALLY cool. He had this wee little furry body, really just the cutest little thing. I think we will look into making a bat box. We wanted to do that at our old house too because we love bats and because they keep the mosquito population down. We don't have a fireplace so we're not exactly sure how he got in but I suspect he came down from the attic.

Themyst...we would never dream of doing anything but catch and release! We're animal, and sometimes even insect, lovers. We'll go to a good deal of trouble to relocate them. I did a lot of research online last year when we first spotted 2 bats in the attic and it's important to not just seal off the entry points because in doing so you could either orphan whatever babies they have left behind if you seal up after mom has gone out to hunt, or you could lock them in and they will search for alternate ways of getting out, causing damage and coming down into the living space sometimes. I think we will call someone in because I don't like the poops in the attic either...

I actually just read it is illegal to kill bats, they are a protected species. Good! And it's bat maternity season right now (d'awww), with the babies flightless until some time in August. Most companies will not do an "exclusion" until after then because you want the entire colony to be able to fly out, but not fly back in. Sorry to go on, just reading and thinking out loud.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Several years ago a bat got into my house during the middle of the night. And at one point he landed onto my bare leg and kind of "suctioned" himself onto my leg. I had to physically pull him off. It freaked me out at first, but I have to admit he was just the cutest little thing. His face looked kinda like an itty bitty black kitten. I was able to contain him and release him outside unharmed. But the bummer of it was that I had to get rabies shots. According to the CDC, bats are common carriers of rabies and since he landed on my bare skin, I had to have the shots as a precaution. Rabies shots = no fun!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I love bats! I am sooo glad you caught and safely released your little home break in artist! I am an animal lover, and vegetarian, so people doing what they can to save animals makes me happy. Bats would occasionally get in our house. The easiest way to catch them was just standing below them as they flew in circles against the ceiling, then just carefully sticking a soft fishing net or butterfly net up into their flight route. Tiny bat flies right into net, you hold the net closed, then you take the little fuzzy cutie outside and carefully release. (It's quite hard to not want to just stick your fingers through the netting and pet the bat for hours and hours, lol. A quick little pet had to suffice, then off he would go. Wouldn't want to cause the bat any more stress by holding him too long!)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Houses in a "River Town" (Mississippi River) can accumulate actual "Tons" of Bat guano in their attics!
I have a 40 foot high pointy tower here, three bats were living in it and would be putting on little shows , flying in circles way up there inside the tower for my customers.
I finally decided they had to leave. I hung some strips of aluminum foil in their fly zone. They pretty much did leave,one comes back every so often but doesn't spend much time .
"White nose" is a Bat illness that has killed a large number of them, last I heard, they don't know how it is spread,so a popular tourist cave 35 miles from here was closed to humans,because maybe "we" were the species spreading it?
There is a house here that had 1,000s of bats all living between the chimney and the wooden siding someone had built around the bricks (Dumb!)
It was quite impressive at dusk to see them all flying out at once, and impressive after they were done, seeing this large pouring of a stream of "Pepper" down a chimney.
With certain weather conditions and with certain heating plants,any screen or mesh you put over a chimney can freeze solid, plugging the flue and be fatal to those in the house.

Reactions: HexMe

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
WGN news did a segment on bats. It was really awesome! They mentioned building bat boxes not only to help keep them out of your home but also it provides them with a safe place to live and raise their adorable bat babies. Bat population counts are low and bat boxes will help. Oh btw its like super good luck and a great honor to have one in your home. Killing one is said to invite evil spirits and energy. My wife and I want to build a few bat boxes and put them on the roof of our building. We live in a standard 2 story storefront style building with a flat roof. We have big plans for the roof. Bats are awesome!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
Bat houses are awesome. I don't really see many bats over here near this house (odd, since we are surrounded by woods and wildlife), so no need for a bat house. They were all over when I lived at home when I was young, though. My aunt lives in Florida, and I think they put up some bat houses, if I'm not mistaken. I know they were talking about it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
​The only time I had birds get in my house was thru the chimney which has no chimney cap at all. I've had a screen and bricks up there for several years since it's only used for my hot water tank. The furnace vents out a PVC pipe from the wall.
Can you access your attic? I'd be curious since that's how I found all my roof problems and I make a yearly trip up there now. I rarely see bats --you've got me interested in checking them out now!
:cool:

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
You're so lucky. We don't have any bats (as far as I know) here in South Florida, even though we have plenty of mosquitoes, LOLs. :)
I know I have seen some in Texas and Alabama when I lived there but that was years ago. Too bad you didn't get a photo of him or her, though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yes, we have a glorious attic! It's a walk up, very big, with vaulted ceilings and lovely large windows! It's unfinished though. But the attic was one of my favorite parts of this house before we bought it. I could just picture pushing a nice writing desk right up against the large front window and typing away up there. But it gets unbelievably hot in the summer, and of course freezing cold in the winter. I hope some day we can find a way to afford finishing the attic so we could actually use the space for more than just storage. But for now I like to be able to say that we have "bats in the belfry".

I know, I wish we had thought to get pics of the little guy. But it was such an exciting moment, I didn't want to miss it. Actual moments are often missed while one is scrambling for the camera.

Scatterbrains...your bat looks like he is wearing a toupee!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!! OMG, my heart can't take this! My husband wasn't even home this time! Another one came flying across the living room. I freaked and ran out, shutting all the doors that he could potentially escape by...I got down low and called my doggie out of the room, poor thing is almost 15 and cannot hear so that took some doing. And once we were both out I realized I left my phone in there. I crept back in and got buzzed a few times at which I screamed like a friggin banshee. My husband got home within 30 minutes but in that time I got to watch the little guy climbing around on the Roman shades, trying to hide from the light I assume? This one was noisy, he was chittering at Dave something fierce. But in the end we got him in the bat-catching mesh hamper and let him go outside.

Now...HOW IN THE HECK are they getting into my living room??????? I'm calling someone tomorrow.... I know they hang out in the attic but what I want to know is how and WHY they are coming downstairs?! That's 2 in a week!

I need some wine....

Still cute...but good grief, very startling especially when one's brave husband is not at home!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts