Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started getting some of my props out of storage in the shed to see what needs to be touched up etc.. and when I pulled out my my cemetery sign I noticed something had used some of the letters for a snack. I already have to worry about weather damage, kid damage and damage by me mishandling them and now I have to ward off hungry critters too!

Mine is kind of minor but has anybody else had issues over the years pulling stuff out of storage and it being damaged for whatever reason. Kind of sucks if your expecting to pull stuff out ready to go and have to fix them first

. DSC04165.jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yup, my latex grimrot guys are pretty much busted, from a combination of age and heat fluctuation during storage. That's going to take some major work to fix - bandages, liquid latex, repainting. I got them out of storage today to get started.

Got quite a few, hm, cheaply made animated props that aren't in the best shape either. One of which is probably going to need a Febreeze bath.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Ouch! That's a nice looking sign (and a great photo!)

My wife and I years ago made a kind of gremlin thing out of paper mache - I hadn't seen the forums yet so it was pretty crude by todays standards, but we bundled it up and left it in the garage. I forgot that our paper mache was just flour and water (food!), and that paint was just protecting the outside and not the inside. Mice got in and nibbled away about a quarter of his face and a good chunk of a couple of limbs. That disturbed me enough that we just chucked the whole thing. :eek:

But we can rebuild him - make him better than he was. Better, stronger...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Makes it look slightly weathered? Sorry about your sign =( you can probably build up the eaten parts with wood putty ( I would recommend elmers since it doesn't have acetone)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son recently went into the storage shed and told me about a funky smell, which I soon found out was a family of rats living in my zombie props. They didn't nibble on anything but the clothes on the zombies were all soaked in rat piss. I lost count of how many times I was sick even with a mask on, the acidic smell was disgusting. Now off to the 2nd hand store for some new zombie attire

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't bother "fixing" it.... quick touch up paint and you'll have that erroded aged look that so many work REALLY hard for... and all done by your little halloween elf.
Yeah I think that is the route I am going to take. It was probably meant to be, it might have been the Halloween spirits telling me it was too pretty and needed a bit of roughing up and decided to show me how. I think I will distress some more of the letters edges and the backboard and repaint it weathered. I should have done it that way in the first place.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,498 Posts
Don't bother "fixing" it.... quick touch up paint and you'll have that erroded aged look that so many work REALLY hard for... and all done by your little halloween elf.
^^THIS^^. Once you touch up the damaged areas a bit, it likely won't be that noticeable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts