Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many a story over the past couple years of props getting stolen and such. I was just reading here how a guy just had all his floodlights stolen. Not even the fixtures, just the bulbs. Weird!

Last night the thought occured to me, why not use a prop-1 controller for haunt security? Has anybody done this?

I know some folks have had good luck with Ping sensors which through code, you can program certain things to happen at certain ranges.

Imagine, if you would a Ping sensor and Prop-1 dedicated to security. At a certain range, say within the haunt's fence, the lights come on. Heck, why not even get into the spirit of things and have some good scary props fire off! Light the place up like daylight AND scare the poop out of the vandals!

I don't know. Just a random thought that crossed my mind last night. :)

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Lighting everything up might be a good idea. I'm not very creative in the security department because nothing out my way has been vandalized much.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
We had motion sensor security floodlights fitted to the house a few years ago for free by the HOA type thing they have here.

One of the very, very, few good things they have done. They work a treat and i would suggest that everybody get one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
At my folks house we had theft on 2 years out of 26 that we did our yard haunt. We lost lots of masks and they knocked a bunch of stuff over. The other year they took a full sized free standing Freddie which looked awesome. Might be peace of mind but nothing happened after motion lights were installed.

Also probably not worth much but because I picture kids coming in my yard and possibly quickliy trying to grab and run with lighted stuff I always tie the cord around something sturdy thinking if you were doing that it might surprise you and cause you to drop the thing and maybe change your mind......doubtful maybe but makes me feel better doing it.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
A few weeks ago my neighbor, who's a little off, came and took down my mother’s department store scarecrow and nicely set it down in the middle of the night. I guess the red flood light I recently added caused the friendly smiling scarecrow to become a tormented evil one at night? I was still planning to do my normal display but didn't want to wake up one morning with everything taken down...

I did just this and used a motion security light. By adding electrical tape on the sides of the sensor, it targets only the area someone would need to cross to enter my yard. Inserted a light socket to ac wall outlet converter and ran an extension cord to another location on the yard. The sensor now trips a bright radiant shell of light to shield my mother’s friendly scarecrow from the odd neighbor while not disclosing where the sensor is. If this doesn’t stop her, I’ve contemplated having it trigger a “Get off the grass!!” recording or better yet an air horn.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use land mines and a sign that reads, "anyone caught tresspassing, will be turned into a prop". This usually does the trick to keep the thieves out!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts