Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this statue at Big Lots on sale a couple weeks ago. Made a child's tombstone. I'll finish the painting tomorrow and post completed pics but here are a few "in process."

I've carved the base and given it some cracks/character. Base coat is on along with some sponged accents. Have to tweak it a bit and it will be done. Stands about 3.5 feet tall.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,487 Posts
Awesome stone, and can't wait to see the finished pics! :cool:

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as usual beautiful stone!
Thanks!

jdubbya, what is your stone painting technique?
Mostly luck! Seriously, I poached a lot of ideas from Terra and Frankie's girl, then the luck hopefully kicks in!

Awesome stone, and can't wait to see the finished pics! :cool:
Thanks! Hope to post them tomorrow

This is going to look great. I love your designs.
Thanks T. I really liked this statue and it was perfect for the scale of this monument.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Wow that is really awesome! You do fantastic work!
When I saw it, it reminded me of a castle in the Netherlands. The owners had lost their child at an early age and they had a monument made for him on the castle grounds. Here's a pic of it. The person in the photo doesn't like having her photo taken....therefore the gray area.

Larger photo here: http://www.msmeeple.com/childstatue.jpg

MsM

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
That is looking fantastic! I love that statue...I saw it at Big Lots last year and wanted it really bad but never could catch it on sale. :( And of course it sold out last year and again this year before I could get my hands on it (I just couldn't bring myself to pay $40 a piece!).

Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that is really awesome! You do fantastic work!
When I saw it, it reminded me of a castle in the Netherlands. The owners had lost their child at an early age and they had a monument made for him on the castle grounds. Here's a pic of it. The person in the photo doesn't like having her photo taken....therefore the gray area.

Larger photo here: http://www.msmeeple.com/childstatue.jpg

MsM
Cool monument MM. Now, about that gray figure in your pic...LOL

That is looking fantastic! I love that statue...I saw it at Big Lots last year and wanted it really bad but never could catch it on sale. :( And of course it sold out last year and again this year before I could get my hands on it (I just couldn't bring myself to pay $40 a piece!).

Thanks. Yeah, the statue retailed this year for $50.00. I managed to get it for $33.00 and some change which I could justify. I knew when I first saw it I had to get one and probably would have paid full price if they only had one left.

*****SHUDDER***** Crrrreeeepy
A fine compliment! Thanks!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished

Here are a few of the completed monument. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts

I saw this same statute at one of our BIG LOTS just yesterday. I bought a different one last year that I want to use for a gravestone project this year. I'd try checking out the BLs in your area again (they have a location search engine on their website). Right now BL has a 30% off Garden clearance sale going on.

BTW djubbya, outstanding job. What kind of paint did you use?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow! very nice indeed,such a beautiful piece.
Thanks!

I saw this same statute at one of our BIG LOTS just yesterday. I bought a different one last year that I want to use for a gravestone project this year. I'd try checking out the BLs in your area again (they have a location search engine on their website). Right now BL has a 30% off Garden clearance sale going on.

BTW djubbya, outstanding job. What kind of paint did you use?
The base coat was a dark gray. I sponged on some watered down moss green over this and then mixed some nutmeg with the dark gray and daubed this on. All the paints were latex. The statue has all of these hues/colors so the match came out pretty well.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Outstanding jdubya! I'm really starting to like the monument style tombstones... they really seem to add something to the cemetery scene!

Again, wonderful looking stone!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts