Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my progress on what I’m calling BBQ MAN. Since there aren’t too many outside decorations this year (long, sad story) I wanted to have something as a main attraction when ToT’s come up to the door. I had the idea a few days ago and finally found the time to start yesterday. I wanted a man, standing in his front yard, very casual as if it’s a steak on the grill, bbq’ing his own head. (These ideas are what happen when you don’t sleep)

I only have about 3 hrs in him right now, so hopefully today he’ll be fleshed out and ready for details. The skull is just for visual reference, I will be making the severed head and neck from scratch (hopefully). I wanted to try the hot coal effect that I’ve seen around here, so that’s what he’ll be bbq’ing over and that will provide the light for the face and body.

01.jpg
A very quick sketch of what I was looking for.
02.jpg
Base, legs, raw materials.
03.jpg
Rough measurements to make sure he's not towering over the grill.
04.jpg
Close to what the final pose will be.
05.jpg
I'll post more as progress is made.Wish me luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BBQ MAN - UPDATE - Progress WIP pics

I just wanted to post some progress pics. I've been visiting someone in the hospital past few days so I haven't gotten the chance to make further progress. Hopefully this weekend.

006.jpg
Right and Left hands and the neck stump ready to be primered. There will be more detailing done after the primer to even everything out. I want it to be a little rough for texture.*
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
007.jpg
Reinventing the wheel. They only had right hands, so I hacked them up and made my own left hand. I also removed the right thumb and gave it better placement, cut off the fingers and arranged them in a more casual way. I will add the thumbnail on the correct side, but this detail is not too important since this part will be dark. Next time I will do it from scratch but these worked in a pinch.
008.jpg
A pose closer to what I had pictured originally. Casual, not too stiff. The body needs to be fleshed out a little but this is the basic framework.
009.jpg
A better view and a change in position of the neck. It looked a lot creepier on an angle rather than straight up and down.*
010.jpg
A crude lighting test to see how the light reflects on the face and body. It won't be pitch black but more than dark enough to see the main details.

Next up is the hot coals for the grill, making his head then some final detailing and paint work.

Thanks for the support so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBQ MAN - Finally Done!

Thanks to all that followed his progress. I just tested him last night at midnight and he looks damn good. Here are some final shots. I had to sneak away and post these. All he's missing are the empty beer cans and the can that goes in his left hand. Otherwise he's complete. I was going for a Total Recall meets Raiders of the Lost Ark with a dash of Harvey Dent look. I only had a day to sculpt and paint everything.
013.jpg
Final shot of BBQ MAN, sans clear coat.
014.jpg
A profile shot and a close up of some detail. I would have loved to spend a few more days on this guy but I'm happy with what he turned out to be.
012.jpg
One last final test. I made some thicker blood from pva glue and a few other things and it looks great on the neck. It stayed shiny and thick. I also dirty'd up the appron and pants a bit.
015.jpg
A view of the hot coals. I've been dying to try this effect and I'm happy with the results considering this is my first attempt. I went ahead and added some ashes because I wanted it to look more like BBQ coals.

Thanks for looking. Hope everyone has a great night.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am definitely NOT coming to your house for a barbecue!
Serving your guests would take on a whole new meaning ...

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies and the best barbecue movie ever - Fried Green Tomatoes
"Secrets in the sauce"

FGTomatoes.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
PoCoHauntGal
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing