Halloween Forum banner

A Halloween Treat Twist

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  BadTableManor 
#1 ·
Oh, it's good to be back! I have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm planning on doing something different for the Halloween treats that I give out this year, and I'd like everybody's opinion.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Craft ROBO, and I've been designing some neat things. As Halloween treats this year, I've designed a few small papercrafts. With the help of my Craft ROBO, they're all punch-outs and have perforated folds. The only tool needed is glue. Here's a sample:

I've been wanting to do this for a few years, so I decided to go forward with it this year. Each papercraft is on 4x6 paper. There is a cover sheet (printed on regular paper) . . .

. . . with black & white illustrated text instructions on the reverse. Then, there are two sheets of punch-out parts, printed on heavy glossy paper. A couple of blank cardstock sheets are inserted for rigidity and protection from candy bombardment. All of this is inserted into a re-sealable poly bag. Everything is printed on a color laser printer, is clean-cut, and looks very professional. I only have three designs at the moment (see them here), but I'd like to have between 4-6. I have other ideas that may come to fruit.

I know little kids are too young to understand what these things are (or can even put them together), and I think teenagers will shy away. I plan to have candy available, and I'm thinking of including a piece along with each papercraft; Bazooka bubble gum would be perfect. If I decide to insert the gum into the poly bags, Bazooka is small, flat, and won't destroy the papercraft. There's also the added bonus of the Bazooka comic and the burst of bubble gum scent when the papercraft is first opened. Mmmmm! There will be extra candy set aside to give to the really young in lieu of the papercraft, and teenagers can have to option of only having the candy.

I did the math last night, and I determined that each papercraft (not including the candy) costs $0.42 to make. Making 125-150 of them comes out to be very expensive ($52.50-$63). The labor is all done by me, so there's no cost there. Despite the price, I love doing things like this. It's for the kids.

Every trick-or-treater gets one free papercraft. If they want more, they pay $1 for each additional one. I may also make them available to purchase online for a limited time each year.

I am also thinking of making a display to either place at the entrance of my haunt or in the new seance room where the treats will be given out. That way everyone can see the completed papercrafts in person and maybe even choose which one they'd like to have/buy.

The papercrafts are definitely different, and no-one else in my neighborhood does anything like this. In all of my years of trick-or-treating, I've never come across anything more than candy being given out. Over the years, the papercraft collection will grow with new designs each year.

What do you think? Will people go for this? Any ideas/recommendations?

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate to be a downer, but I honestly don't see that these paper projects will have much kid appeal on Halloween night. I'd be afraid most would end up in the trash. Sorry :eek: .

If I were spending over .40 per treat, I'd rather go ahead and hand out full size candy bars. That's something you know the kids will love on halloween!

#3 ·
They are stunningly cool, do you have any type of halloween party that you could make these as invites to or as a party favor? Or give them to the parents of the tricker or treaters, they would think it was great. As far as giving them to the kids, it might be like giving a kid a well thought out card with a $50.00 bill inside, they will never even read the card.

#4 ·
Well, it's certainly an experiment for this year. I know I always loved putting things like this together when I was a kid (I still do!). I actually have family members (3 different families, total) who come over to help with Halloween, so we all chip in for dinner (pizza), candy, and scaring.

The invitation idea is wonderful. Unfortunately, many of the folks I knew in the neighborhood all moved away, and the neighbors are now all strangers or the houses are vacant due to the recession. There used to be Halloween parties.

I'm not really sure how well the papercrafts will be received by today's youth. I only have my own childhood to draw from. I doubt one non-candy item in the trick-or-treat bag is really gonna disappoint anyone. If they do end up in the trash, it doesn't matter; it's a loss the minute they're handed out anyway, right?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know it's a lot of hard work to put into something that may fail, but that's how I am. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Keep the comments coming!

#5 ·
True some kids might not find the allure of these but if they're anything like I was when I was a kid they'd try to keep it as long as they can. I'd still have lots of things from my childhood hadn't my mom decided that I was too old to have them. I say go ahead with your idea. You might not get them all but I'm willing to bet that there are some kids who will appreciate them.

#6 ·
I like the idea Trader Sam. You may just need to go with designs that are more tailored to the age group. I like the coffin..can you do pumpkins too?

I would think parents would appreciate the idea of the paper craft. I like the idea of give out treats that aren't necessarily candy. As a child growing up, I would have gone crazy over something like that....you can get candy anywhere....but that is unique and they can keep it...my parents always hid the candy be brought home and gave it to us a little at a time.

You might check out some sites like lillian vernon and Oriental trading company and buy trinket items instead of candy to put inside....as for teen agers...well at a certain age I don't think they trick or treat so much for the candy as just the chance to get out and be silly, scare each other and see all the cool stuff people do.

Go for it!

#8 ·
Since Mom and Dad usually go through all the candy that the kids get from trick or treating, they will see your paper craft and probably think it's pretty cool. If the parents can't get the child interested in it, they might even keep it for themselves.

Oh - and I wouldn't charge for additional paper crafts. The kids coming to the door won't have money and the parents usually stand too far back to see that you have something for sale.

#9 ·
It's been suggested that the papercrafts could be handed out fully-assembled. But, they'd be crushed by candy. Plus, assembling over 100 of them would be a pain.

I'm not really concerned about making money. I just can't afford to give out more than one per person. I do see the problem with the money. Many parents actually accompany the kids, but who'd be dumb enough to carry a wallet filled with cash on a dark evening, roaming through a strange neighborhood? At least, offering them online would a) help pay for them, and b) would allow anyone across the nation to grab a couple for themselves or gifts for the kids. Who knows. It's fun to try something new.

#10 ·
It's been suggested that the papercrafts could be handed out fully-assembled. But, they'd be crushed by candy. Plus, assembling over 100 of them would be a pain.
Not to mention that it would take the fun out of it. It gives the kids something to do between snacking.

I'm not really concerned about making money. I just can't afford to give out more than one per person. I do see the problem with the money. Many parents actually accompany the kids, but who'd be dumb enough to carry a wallet filled with cash on a dark evening, roaming through a strange neighborhood? At least, offering them online would a) help pay for them, and b) would allow anyone across the nation to grab a couple for themselves or gifts for the kids. Who knows. It's fun to try something new.
I don't know your financial situation but you do have a year to come up with the money so it won't be so bad if you just save little by little before and after each Halloween instead of trying to come up with the money a week before Halloween.

#11 ·
This is an awesome idea. I know when I was a kid it was the non-candy treats that really stuck out (well, and the full size candy bar houses). Candy is gone pretty quickly but these they will keep around for much longer.

EDIT And I forgot to mention, my 6 yo daughter LOVES doing papercraft with me and would definitely be pumped about receiving these.

#13 ·
That's a very cool idea, Trader Sam, as are the crafts themselves. I think, unforunately, that it's pretty much hit-or-miss, though, since younger children usually won't understand it unless their parents are willing to help them out (and most parents are just too busy these days...:rolleyes:) and the older ones generally won't care about something like that. They'd be perfect as party favors or invitations, like another member suggested, though;)

#14 ·
Wow! Looks like my kids would have been the odd ones!
I can imagine that my daughter would have liked the idea and kept it stashed in her room with the intention of putting it together. I would have found it unassembled four years later while cleaning, but that's another issue entirely ;).
For my son, it would have been like getting socks for Christmas. For him, just the candy bars and bubble gum, thanks just the same.
Seems like you may be onto something though, if everybody's kids are like all the previous posters.

#15 ·
You could give them the choice. We usually have, in our candy bowl, candy, little bags of Halloween pretzels (the parents love these for the little, little ones), and Halloween pencils and little Halloween notepads. The kids love them, and many of them take them instead of candy (makes sense, they're getting candy everywhere else, why not get a pencil and notepad too). The first year my wife got them, I thought they would never go. To my suprise, they were gone within the first hour.

#16 ·
Robert - you did a wonderful job on them - and having them pre-scored is a huge plus!
I've noticed through the years that there are different types of ToTers. Some are in it just for the treats - and that's ok!
Some will look at the work done on the haunt, say, "Wow! That's cool!" and move on. They may mention it the next day, may not. Again, that's ok.
But then there are the ones that are drawn to the haunt like a moth to a flame. They stand there, taking it all in, processing it, watching the lights, motion, details. their parents have to drag them away. And you know they are the ones that make it all worthwhile, because they are going to carry on the tradition.
You're doing the papercraft for yourself, because you WANT to , and it'll make you happy. But you are also doing it for those kids that will keep it years after the candy is forgotten - and I say BRAVO!

Be sure to send an email with them to Ray Keim at Haunted Dimensions by Ray Keim . I think he'd get a huge kick out of them!

#17 ·
I guess most certainly some kids will only want the candy, but the unique treats like that are the ones that you remember and make the trick or treating all that more enjoyable. I think it's a great idea and always good to put hard work into anything that brings you joy and great memories.

#18 ·
It's a different idea. I think it'll all depend on the kids, some will be interested and some won't. Maybe offer it to them when you give them candy, so if the tot doesn't want to have to build the coffin or piranha it won't be wasted, and if they do you'll know it's gonna be worth while because they will make it and see that it is not crushed in their bag.

#19 ·
Thanks, all!

I do realize that there is a wide spectrum of TOTs out there, which is why I was wondering if this would work or not. If kids are willing to go for pencils and notepads, I think they'll go for these. I don't expect them to be kept for years, though.

Saving money all year is a good point, and I never buy anything at the last minute. I start planning for Halloween in July. I already had most of the materials for the papercrafts; I only had to buy the poly bags. The killer is the toner; that's why these are so expensive to make. I'm sure I've mis-calculated the cost of toner usage, so the papercrafts are more likely cheaper then I've estimated. HP has a microchip on their toner cartridges that keeps track of how many sheets have been run through. I think after so many sheets (despite how much toner is used on the page), the chip tells the printer that it is empty . . . even if there's still toner left. It's odd; I'll have to look into exactly how it works. But, I love my printer!

I just might not include the candy with the papercrafts and let them choose. It'll save money, provide more candy (in case the papercrafts run out), and there will be more leftovers to keep . . . if any (I love Bazooka gum).

The next papercraft will be a vampire bat that flaps his wings when you squeeze his body. I need to work out the mechanics of that.

#21 ·
Hi Trader Sam,

I think its always great to be able to give the kids something different. I think it really excites them. My coffins were made with a slightly different idea in mind but I can see we have had some of the same thoughts on some things.

At my place the families come through my house & so the parents are right w/ the kids & usually everyone stops & stands in the kitchen for awhile, thats where we hand out the treat bag, the popcorn & usually I bake & the parents nibble. Because we been getting so many adults I decided last year to make something for them.

So I started putting together these coffins & we talked it over here & decided 5 gourmet chocolates (we manufacture Chocolates) in each coffin & one per family.
Lets talk about cost......yup its up there, especially w/ 5 chocolates we make in there. SO we said we'd make 100 coffins & go with it.

The question was brought up....what do we do when the families ask for more coffins & they will. How do we handle that? So we decided I had to give out the coffins & handle "IT". I knew even going w/ 100 was risky because I would voucher to say we have over 100 families that come, but anyways, we never pulled it off cause I only got 60 coffins made.

So this season is the season we are doing the coffins for the adults. What you said about toner$$$$$$ was so very true & for me it was a big time factor because I printed them out & each coffin is 3 pgs. of print, then I glued them to posterboard so they would be more sturdy. Next came the cutting & setting up of the coffins & then I finished w/ a coat or 2 of mod podge.

So we just pulled the 60 out of storage & I have not yet started the additional 40 as yet.

If you ask me whats going to be the biggest issue with these.......I know people are gonna try & get more than one out of me......there will be things like...Grandma's in the car, or we want one for our aunt......I know whats coming cause my aunt will be here from Chicago for halloween, her 1st halloween with me in over 30 years, but she is one of those people that pushes hard when she wants her own way so I do have experience in this!lol

I won't sell them because I want to make sure I have at least one for every family. SO however it goes...it goes & I'm sure there will be lessons learned but I too fell in love w/ these adorable little papercrafts & it took me awhile to decide if I wanted to do something this costly.

As far as time invested in making them....I was pretty sick at the time & got stuck in a chair for awhile, this was the most comforting activity to calm my nerves & keep my mind off the pain. BUT....it took awhile to get them right cause after I made the 1st one I was like...forget this!!! But then they grew on me.....so good luck to you & it will be interesting for us to compare notes after halloween!

#22 ·
Lovely coffins!

I understand why you wouldn't want to sell them so that there are enough in stock to give out to everyone else. I don't think I will sell mine, either. If they wish to have more than one, they'll have to buy 'em online. I think I'll print some quick business cards to hand out (with a web address) in case the stock runs out.

I'll have the online store up and running soon (stay tuned!), making them available through the first week of November. They'll be $1(each)+S&H. Shipping should only be a couple of bucks; I'll have to look into shipping supplies.

Folks asking for extra treats for an absent person is expected, and I'm not sure how to handle it, exactly. I think I'll have to address each issue separately. Although, I won't be the one handing out the treats. I prefer to scare.

#23 ·
Sam - it's a cool idea and the execution is GREAT! ... not to mention generous of you at 40 - 42 cents a pop.

That said, you need to realize that only certain kids will appreciate it, and I doubt if any will realize the level of your generosity. Please recognize that the TOTs are gathering candy on Halloween night, and anything else short of an ipod is not appreciated. Most will think you're being cheap for not handing out candy.

Several years ago my wife's work closed its doors. For some reason they had a large box full of some mood rings that had been intended to be part of a promotion that never happened - individually wrapped. No one else wanted them, but my wife thought TOT's would LOVE them.

The first year we put them on a tray, next to the candy cauldron and said, "Candy or a ring?" It started dismally and became an experiment. One teen age girl took a ring ALL NIGHT LONG!

The next year we started including them with the candy handed to girls that looked to be 8-12 years old. That seemed to go pretty well.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, and it might not change your plans, but be ready for some disappointment from the TOTs, despite your generosity.

#24 ·
I know this is not what you wanted to hear, and it might not change your plans, but be ready for some disappointment from the TOTs, despite your generosity.
Thanks for the input, LT Scare; your insight is valued. What I want to hear are honest opinions . . . good, bad, or indifferent. I'm definitely getting some good ideas. I WILL be doing this regardless, but I still want input. Bring it on.

Failure is definitely a possibility. It always is with something new. And keep in mind that the only thing I actually had to buy were the poly bags. The rest is from existing materials. As an artist, I always have a semi-wide range of things to use that I buy for various projects each year. So, although the papercrafts roughly cost $0.41 to make (I still have to look into the true toner costs), I only actually spent very little on this new endeavor.

That said, I've just finished the online store. It's nothing too fancy or flashy.

#25 ·
Like I said before it's good for those in between snacking moments. Lots of parents limit the amount of candy a child can eat on Halloween so when they're not eating they can be working on one of them. If your idea is successful would you mind taking some suggestions from the people here at the forum about new designs or whatnot?

#27 ·
If your idea is successful would you mind taking some suggestions from the people here at the forum about new designs or whatnot?
Hmmm . . . I don't know. From a legal standpoint, that could be problematic. Someone could make a fuss about being compensated for their idea(s) that I would be profiting from.

#26 ·
I just thought of something else tonight to mention. We have a commercial web site that we sell retail on but most of our work is to wholesale accts., I wanted to mention that from a standpoint of interest in these little coffins that around halloween a lot of our candy accts. look at our halloween web site cause they know we have a big celebration. So I just wanted to let you know that right off the bat as soon as they got posted on my entry page & our accts. started seeing them....they wanted to order them for their stores right away.

I had told them that was just a project for my TOT's parents but they asked if we could do them in the future. SO you might be surprised at the luck you might have selling them. If I retailed these in the stores they would have to be sealed & I have a major concern as to those chocolates being sealed in a package with a container made up with toner & mod podge. Here for halloween I will put the candies in the coffin the night before halloween & they will only be tied with string so I know they don't need a shelf life.

#28 ·
Well, at least one good thing has come from this. To display the papercrafts, I've designed a plush display board. It has multiple uses, so it can be used as different types of decor if needed.

I think it will look best hanging from chains. The depth of the piece is kinda lost in these photos, but the plush area protrudes about an inch. The skull was sculpted out out Super Sculpy.

The foam board is 1/2-inch thick, and it is painted red.

#30 ·
Here's what I think: It's bloody BRILLIANT! As a matter of fact, come this payday, I'll be ordering about 10 of your papercrafts. My personal favorite is the bat. Absolutely adorable, and it's something I'll keep forever.

Hats off to you Trader Sam for your kindness and generosity towards the kids. If you inspire even one child, it's totally worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.