Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, it's good to be back! I have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm planning on doing something different for the Halloween treats that I give out this year, and I'd like everybody's opinion.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Craft ROBO, and I've been designing some neat things. As Halloween treats this year, I've designed a few small papercrafts. With the help of my Craft ROBO, they're all punch-outs and have perforated folds. The only tool needed is glue. Here's a sample:

I've been wanting to do this for a few years, so I decided to go forward with it this year. Each papercraft is on 4x6 paper. There is a cover sheet (printed on regular paper) . . .

. . . with black & white illustrated text instructions on the reverse. Then, there are two sheets of punch-out parts, printed on heavy glossy paper. A couple of blank cardstock sheets are inserted for rigidity and protection from candy bombardment. All of this is inserted into a re-sealable poly bag. Everything is printed on a color laser printer, is clean-cut, and looks very professional. I only have three designs at the moment (see them here), but I'd like to have between 4-6. I have other ideas that may come to fruit.

I know little kids are too young to understand what these things are (or can even put them together), and I think teenagers will shy away. I plan to have candy available, and I'm thinking of including a piece along with each papercraft; Bazooka bubble gum would be perfect. If I decide to insert the gum into the poly bags, Bazooka is small, flat, and won't destroy the papercraft. There's also the added bonus of the Bazooka comic and the burst of bubble gum scent when the papercraft is first opened. Mmmmm! There will be extra candy set aside to give to the really young in lieu of the papercraft, and teenagers can have to option of only having the candy.

I did the math last night, and I determined that each papercraft (not including the candy) costs $0.42 to make. Making 125-150 of them comes out to be very expensive ($52.50-$63). The labor is all done by me, so there's no cost there. Despite the price, I love doing things like this. It's for the kids.

Every trick-or-treater gets one free papercraft. If they want more, they pay $1 for each additional one. I may also make them available to purchase online for a limited time each year.

I am also thinking of making a display to either place at the entrance of my haunt or in the new seance room where the treats will be given out. That way everyone can see the completed papercrafts in person and maybe even choose which one they'd like to have/buy.

The papercrafts are definitely different, and no-one else in my neighborhood does anything like this. In all of my years of trick-or-treating, I've never come across anything more than candy being given out. Over the years, the papercraft collection will grow with new designs each year.

What do you think? Will people go for this? Any ideas/recommendations?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but I honestly don't see that these paper projects will have much kid appeal on Halloween night. I'd be afraid most would end up in the trash. Sorry :eek: .

If I were spending over .40 per treat, I'd rather go ahead and hand out full size candy bars. That's something you know the kids will love on halloween!

·
Registered
475 Posts
They are stunningly cool, do you have any type of halloween party that you could make these as invites to or as a party favor? Or give them to the parents of the tricker or treaters, they would think it was great. As far as giving them to the kids, it might be like giving a kid a well thought out card with a $50.00 bill inside, they will never even read the card.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's certainly an experiment for this year. I know I always loved putting things like this together when I was a kid (I still do!). I actually have family members (3 different families, total) who come over to help with Halloween, so we all chip in for dinner (pizza), candy, and scaring.

The invitation idea is wonderful. Unfortunately, many of the folks I knew in the neighborhood all moved away, and the neighbors are now all strangers or the houses are vacant due to the recession. There used to be Halloween parties.

I'm not really sure how well the papercrafts will be received by today's youth. I only have my own childhood to draw from. I doubt one non-candy item in the trick-or-treat bag is really gonna disappoint anyone. If they do end up in the trash, it doesn't matter; it's a loss the minute they're handed out anyway, right?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know it's a lot of hard work to put into something that may fail, but that's how I am. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
946 Posts
True some kids might not find the allure of these but if they're anything like I was when I was a kid they'd try to keep it as long as they can. I'd still have lots of things from my childhood hadn't my mom decided that I was too old to have them. I say go ahead with your idea. You might not get them all but I'm willing to bet that there are some kids who will appreciate them.

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
I like the idea Trader Sam. You may just need to go with designs that are more tailored to the age group. I like the coffin..can you do pumpkins too?

I would think parents would appreciate the idea of the paper craft. I like the idea of give out treats that aren't necessarily candy. As a child growing up, I would have gone crazy over something like that....you can get candy anywhere....but that is unique and they can keep it...my parents always hid the candy be brought home and gave it to us a little at a time.

You might check out some sites like lillian vernon and Oriental trading company and buy trinket items instead of candy to put inside....as for teen agers...well at a certain age I don't think they trick or treat so much for the candy as just the chance to get out and be silly, scare each other and see all the cool stuff people do.

Go for it!

·
Banned
535 Posts
Cram the candy in the coffin!!!! Im 29 and would take that in a minute! :) Putting them all together would be a nightmare and lots of time but thats what i would do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Since Mom and Dad usually go through all the candy that the kids get from trick or treating, they will see your paper craft and probably think it's pretty cool. If the parents can't get the child interested in it, they might even keep it for themselves.

Oh - and I wouldn't charge for additional paper crafts. The kids coming to the door won't have money and the parents usually stand too far back to see that you have something for sale.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been suggested that the papercrafts could be handed out fully-assembled. But, they'd be crushed by candy. Plus, assembling over 100 of them would be a pain.

I'm not really concerned about making money. I just can't afford to give out more than one per person. I do see the problem with the money. Many parents actually accompany the kids, but who'd be dumb enough to carry a wallet filled with cash on a dark evening, roaming through a strange neighborhood? At least, offering them online would a) help pay for them, and b) would allow anyone across the nation to grab a couple for themselves or gifts for the kids. Who knows. It's fun to try something new.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's been suggested that the papercrafts could be handed out fully-assembled. But, they'd be crushed by candy. Plus, assembling over 100 of them would be a pain.
Not to mention that it would take the fun out of it. It gives the kids something to do between snacking.

I'm not really concerned about making money. I just can't afford to give out more than one per person. I do see the problem with the money. Many parents actually accompany the kids, but who'd be dumb enough to carry a wallet filled with cash on a dark evening, roaming through a strange neighborhood? At least, offering them online would a) help pay for them, and b) would allow anyone across the nation to grab a couple for themselves or gifts for the kids. Who knows. It's fun to try something new.
I don't know your financial situation but you do have a year to come up with the money so it won't be so bad if you just save little by little before and after each Halloween instead of trying to come up with the money a week before Halloween.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is an awesome idea. I know when I was a kid it was the non-candy treats that really stuck out (well, and the full size candy bar houses). Candy is gone pretty quickly but these they will keep around for much longer.

EDIT And I forgot to mention, my 6 yo daughter LOVES doing papercraft with me and would definitely be pumped about receiving these.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it's a great idea! Especially if you're the only house doing something like this. Let's be honest, kids will binge the first night on candy and then need something else to do besides stuffing their cute pudgy faces with chocolate!

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
That's a very cool idea, Trader Sam, as are the crafts themselves. I think, unforunately, that it's pretty much hit-or-miss, though, since younger children usually won't understand it unless their parents are willing to help them out (and most parents are just too busy these days...:rolleyes:) and the older ones generally won't care about something like that. They'd be perfect as party favors or invitations, like another member suggested, though;)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Wow! Looks like my kids would have been the odd ones!
I can imagine that my daughter would have liked the idea and kept it stashed in her room with the intention of putting it together. I would have found it unassembled four years later while cleaning, but that's another issue entirely ;).
For my son, it would have been like getting socks for Christmas. For him, just the candy bars and bubble gum, thanks just the same.
Seems like you may be onto something though, if everybody's kids are like all the previous posters.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You could give them the choice. We usually have, in our candy bowl, candy, little bags of Halloween pretzels (the parents love these for the little, little ones), and Halloween pencils and little Halloween notepads. The kids love them, and many of them take them instead of candy (makes sense, they're getting candy everywhere else, why not get a pencil and notepad too). The first year my wife got them, I thought they would never go. To my suprise, they were gone within the first hour.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Robert - you did a wonderful job on them - and having them pre-scored is a huge plus!
I've noticed through the years that there are different types of ToTers. Some are in it just for the treats - and that's ok!
Some will look at the work done on the haunt, say, "Wow! That's cool!" and move on. They may mention it the next day, may not. Again, that's ok.
But then there are the ones that are drawn to the haunt like a moth to a flame. They stand there, taking it all in, processing it, watching the lights, motion, details. their parents have to drag them away. And you know they are the ones that make it all worthwhile, because they are going to carry on the tradition.
You're doing the papercraft for yourself, because you WANT to , and it'll make you happy. But you are also doing it for those kids that will keep it years after the candy is forgotten - and I say BRAVO!

Be sure to send an email with them to Ray Keim at Haunted Dimensions by Ray Keim . I think he'd get a huge kick out of them!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I guess most certainly some kids will only want the candy, but the unique treats like that are the ones that you remember and make the trick or treating all that more enjoyable. I think it's a great idea and always good to put hard work into anything that brings you joy and great memories.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
It's a different idea. I think it'll all depend on the kids, some will be interested and some won't. Maybe offer it to them when you give them candy, so if the tot doesn't want to have to build the coffin or piranha it won't be wasted, and if they do you'll know it's gonna be worth while because they will make it and see that it is not crushed in their bag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, all!

I do realize that there is a wide spectrum of TOTs out there, which is why I was wondering if this would work or not. If kids are willing to go for pencils and notepads, I think they'll go for these. I don't expect them to be kept for years, though.

Saving money all year is a good point, and I never buy anything at the last minute. I start planning for Halloween in July. I already had most of the materials for the papercrafts; I only had to buy the poly bags. The killer is the toner; that's why these are so expensive to make. I'm sure I've mis-calculated the cost of toner usage, so the papercrafts are more likely cheaper then I've estimated. HP has a microchip on their toner cartridges that keeps track of how many sheets have been run through. I think after so many sheets (despite how much toner is used on the page), the chip tells the printer that it is empty . . . even if there's still toner left. It's odd; I'll have to look into exactly how it works. But, I love my printer!

I just might not include the candy with the papercrafts and let them choose. It'll save money, provide more candy (in case the papercrafts run out), and there will be more leftovers to keep . . . if any (I love Bazooka gum).

The next papercraft will be a vampire bat that flaps his wings when you squeeze his body. I need to work out the mechanics of that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i really like your idea..i would love to have 1 myself..(could i come trick-or-treating...just look for the 34-year old in a playboy bunny costume with 2 monsters with her!!!Lmao!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts