Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a Hitchcock Halloween this year. I think it will be really cool but there are some challenges (besides collecting over 100 birds!)

Hitchcock's genius was in psychological suspense. No problem with haunting up The Birds and Psycho. I have plans for Spellbound, Rear Window, Vertigo, Frenzy and Rope but the props/vignettes won't take up much room and I have a big backyard.

I've always had a graveyard featuring the year's theme characters. It would fill out the yard and be classic Halloween but it's not really classic Hitchcock. Although I could attach birds to the tombstones. And Norman's epitaph "A boy's best friend is his mother" might tie it together.

Any opinions/comments on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think it would be fine as well and it will help fill in ......put names on them from some of his movies, the school teacher from the birds, the cop from psycho. I know there are more but I'm drawing a big blank :eek:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
LOVE the Hitchcock silhouette idea!!!

You might make humorous epitaphs relating to the films.

Here lie the remains of Lila Crane
She should have been so much wiser
Before she booked her fateful stay
She should have checked TripAdvisor.

(bloody knife near stone- or draped bloody shower curtain)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
You should absolutely do a cemetery! Not only will it help to fill out space and add the haunted element you're looking for but it can also be a tribute to his final film, "Family Plot".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You should absolutely do a cemetery! Not only will it help to fill out space and add the haunted element you're looking for but it can also be a tribute to his final film, "Family Plot".
That's a good point. And in any case, who wrote thre rules on what you can and cannot put up for Halloween? Tie in some epitaths, but for corn sake, have fun!

i like the Hitch silhouette idea as well.

We did the Birds a few years ago, with myself as Hitch and my wife as Tippi Hendren. Bought about 2 dozen blackbirds from the dollar Tree, and a set of Martha Stewart bird silhouettes. I then cut out another 60 or so and stuck them all over the ceilings and walls in our living and dining rooms. Pretty effective.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I definitely think that a cemetery would be perfect for a Hitchcock theme. At the beginning of his television show he has been known to frequent such places.

alfred-hitchcock-gravedigger - Copy - Copy.jpg

As far as birds go, Allen Hopps of Stiltbeast Studios made this great how-to video.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,441 Posts
I can't think of anything to help you, but I love the Hitchcock theme idea. I'm a big Hitchcock fan.

"The Trouble With Harry" might be another good film to get some ideas from.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
and make sure you get the sound effect of the bird attacks and loop it. The last attack at the end is the best when they go after Tippi because of the length of the attack, the flapping of the wings, the bird sounds. Yea I'm a fan !

·
Registered
293 Posts
DaveintheGrave, I was going to mention The Trouble With Harry. I think you could definitely pull off a graveyard.

I wish I could come! I love Hitchcock!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
and make sure you get the sound effect of the bird attacks and loop it. The last attack at the end is the best when they go after Tippi because of the length of the attack, the flapping of the wings, the bird sounds. Yea I'm a fan !
Deadview, we did the same thing for our entranceway. And you're right, that section has the longest most vocal attack.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, the graveyard is in!

The sound effects of the birds is crucial and I've been trying to figure out how to do that. How do I get that sequence and how do I loop it? And then how do I play i? The bird scene is in the front yard so I can't leave my laptop out there.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had a great idea for the graveyard entrance. Facing silouhettes of Hitchcock as "gates". Now I have to brainstorm on a sturdy but pliable and thin black tubing or such to build it. Any suggestions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts