Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I tried to partition a couple rooms using some very, very lightweight cloth. I tried "removable" 2 sided tape; it wouldn't stick to the cloth. I hot glued cardboard strips to the cloth and let that interface to the tape; lasted about 1-2 minutes before it fell down. Used non-removable 2 sided tape. that worked, put pulled paint off the ceiling when I took it down.

Anyone have a good solution for hanging stuff with something that can hold, but does not pull away paint? I even tried heating the tape with a heat gun before removing it, that didn't work either.

I know those gummy foam tabs work pretty well, the kind you stretch and pull to remove, but they are pretty expensive.

Anyone have ideas? Still early enough to order stuff online if something is out there. I want to hang some cloths again this year and need a solution now, instead of cussing the day before the party!!!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I had the same problem on my porch trying to hold up black cloth wall coverings. I finally gave up on the stucco-grade duct tape (took the paint off and not that reliable) and made some spring-loaded PVC poles to hold up the cloth. They're designed kind of like the old pole lamp supports. Here's a pic of the assembly. The pole is 9" of 1" PVC, with a dowel inserted in one end. The screw in the PVC acts as a stop for the internal spring. I used cane tips to grip the floor and ceiling. Just drape the edge of the cloth over the end of the tip and it will be held tightly against the ceiling.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had though of that and it might be an option for me in a few places.

After I posted, I surfed eBay and found 373 "3M Command" tabs for about $20. They are small, made for Christmas tree lights, but I figure with that many I can make it work.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I sometimes use Bron double-sided tape at work for securing small components for CMM measurements. It sticks like crazy and has never damaged the painted surfaces that I apply it to. You can find it at hobby stores - model makers use it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up buying eBay item 310163736307, "3M Command Decorating Clips - 5 Packages of 20" I bought 3 packages, for 375 of the little adhesive tabs, shipped, for under $20. They come with little clear plastic hooks (made for Christmas tree lights). I stuck one up on my ceiling as a test and will hang a cloth on it. I know these things come off without leaving marks or pulling paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts