Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am a practitioner of haunting other holidays - and because I think it is only right to haunt Christmas when stores start replacing ghouls with Santa weeks before Halloween day - I like to include spooky stuff in with my Christmas decorating. I had some Das clay that I wanted to use up and figured a bunch of monster-themed gingerbread cookie ornaments would fit in nicely with all my Nightmare Before Christmas ornaments.

They were made out of Das clay (made by Prang), painted with acrylic paints, and then I used matte dimensional fabric paints to mimic decorator's icing. I'm going to use ribbon to suspend the larger "cookies" and cord for the little ornaments. I will probably remake them eventually because Das clay is very fragile and relatively heavy (neither characteristic being great for big tree ornaments).

Unfortunately the photos are not super clear (and yes I actually tried to get a little detail in like sponging and speckling on darker paint over the base coat and making fine lines with the dimensional paint), but you get the idea.

Clockwise from the top left: scarecrow, Bride of Frankenstein, Frankenstein's monster, Cthulhu, Sam from Trick 'R Treat, and zombie. I used some shiny red dimensional paint between the zombie's ribs.

Clockwise from the top left: devil, mummy, Dracula, witch, wolfman, and skeleton.

Left to right by top to bottom row: ghost, Sally, Jack Skellington, cat familiar, bat, half "I love brains!" zombie, Zero, severed head #1, four pumpkins, and severed head #2. I did add shiny red dimensional paint to the torso of the half-zombie and the neck stumps of the severed heads for a little gore.

·
The Cloven Bunny
2,965 Posts
Those are the cutest things I have ever seen in my life! I especially love Sam and the Skelly! Great job!

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Those are great! I could have used those on my Halloween Christmas tree this Christmas. Hmmm I'm thinking foamy gingerbread men need to be added to my project list. lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw, thanks so much, brandywine1974, maleficent, and MorbidMariah! If anyone tries making their own (even if they aren't Halloween related), I'd love to see them!

maleficent: Even if you do a different theme each year for your big tree, why not have a mini haunted Christmas tree somewhere? Alas, my family hasn't done a full-sized real tree in a lot of years, but I compensate by decorating a little tree in my room where I can keep it from our overly curious and "wrecktastic" feline friends. When I have the room I'd like to decorate a few themed mini trees around my own house or apartment (aka post-dorm life) for the general ornament themes I have, like ocean, prehistoric, Halloween/Nightmare Before Christmas, world wildlife/ethnic, and traditional. I think a little Halloween tree somewhere, even if it isn't in the forefront of your decorations, would be welcome in many a haunter's home.

I would definitely recommend using a lightweight material like foam. I may use Crayola Model Magic if I remake them so that I can still round the edges of the upper surface and also not give my little tree a hernia ... if fake plants could get hernias, that is. I may also make them a little smaller (these are about 4 inches tall for the classic-shaped cookies) since these will take up a heck of a lot of space on my tree. I would like to add some fake red-hots and other classic decorating candies made from polymer clay as accents on future cookies as I love well dressed and accessorized gingerbread character cookies.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Those are great! I love them, especially Mummy and Skeleton :) I will have to try these next year...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, all!

Buggula: Thanks! While I'm hoping to open an Etsy shop soon, I don't sell anything yet. It looks like I need to wait until sometime this Summer before I can really consider it (I just have way too much on my plate now to keep track of a shop, too).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts