Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Haunters!

My wife and I were cleaning out the garage a few weeks ago and we came across some card board tube sections that my wife was saving to take to school (she's a pre-school teacher) but she decided that we should just throw them in the recycling bin. The tubes were all about 3" in diameter and 3" to 4" long. See below for a pic:

starting tube.jpg

I looked at it for a long time then decided that I needed to save some of them for a Halloween project. I wasn't sure what at the time but I knew that I'd come up with something. Then it hit me...candles...big candles.

So I started to stack them up, cut them in half, etc and covered them in paper mache and ended up with this:

tubes covered in paper mache.jpg

Then I added some hot glue for the drips:

drips added to candles.jpg

Then I painted them and learned a valuable lesson. After I had put a coat of paint on, I noticed that every edge of the newspaper showed up when it was painted, it looked terrible. Then I got some Viva paper towels (no texture) and covered each candle in one piece of paper towel so that there would only be one seam that I could put to the back and re-painted. Here's the final product:

finished candles.jpg

The candles on the left side of the picture are made from 2" PVC pipe. I wanted to see how my cardboard tube candles would look by comparison. The PVC tubes are smoother by comparison but in the dark you can't tell the difference.

So, if you have any cardboard tubes lying around you might want to think about making some candles.

Happy Haunting!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great idea! I even saw that Dave Lowe used those tubes for shackles. I wish I had some of those to repurpose.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys...there is a certain satisfaction in repurposing otherwise useless stuff.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looks great! I discovered how good hot glue is for candle drippings a while ago. It looks so close to real wax, you can't tell the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts