Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Friends,

So watching the Youtube clip of the Pneumatic Groundbreaker has convinced me that I really need to overcome my fear of working with pneumatic cylinders and learn the craft.

I'm not a builder (it took me quite a while to complete a flying crank ghost using a wiper motor), so I've never used a compressor, let alone own one, hence my question.

What can I get by on to run that prop?

I found a very cheap compressor for 15 bucks at the local dollar store that puts out 300 PSI, but I'm afraid that in order to create the type of Halloween props I'm after, I may have to get something a a bit more costly. I hate to spend too much, since I can't see myself ever buying any tools that would require an air compressor, but I would really like to build some pneumatic props.

So can I get buy on a cheap air compressor that puts out 300 PSI for something like the ground breaker?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You can get a compressor for around $80 at harbor freight. You need a storage tank to keep the air until needed unless you are going to fill a storgage tank/propane tank yourself. Chances are that $15 one was a air filler for tires and such running off of 12 volts.

This will get you started and you can run 1 or more props with a manifold and air regulators to control the amount of air you want to put into each cylinder. I used a 6 gallon "pancake" compressor to run 3 props but I'm uping it to a 30gal. I'd say that groundbreaker is running at 60-100 PSI. You'll learn quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get a compressor for around $80 at harbor freight. You need a storage tank to keep the air until needed unless you are going to fill a storgage tank/propane tank yourself. Chances are that $15 one was a air filler for tires and such running off of 12 volts.

This will get you started and you can run 1 or more props with a manifold and air regulators to control the amount of air you want to put into each cylinder. I used a 6 gallon "pancake" compressor to run 3 props but I'm uping it to a 30gal. I'd say that groundbreaker is running at 60-100 PSI. You'll learn quickly.
Hey thanks for the info.

So If I picked up a manifold and air regulators from monsterguts could I use the 15 dollar air filler for the prop?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well first I'd see if this $15 compressor has a storage tank. Chances are it's something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos//04000-04099/04077-t.gif

If not spend the money and get a real compressor like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos//95400-95499/95499-t.gif

You don't need anything huge if you are just starting out. You don't need an air regulator or manifold unless you are running more then one prop. The compressor has a regulator on it for one prop. You will need a solenoid to control the air when you want it to go off. Then a prop controller to control this. The list goes on and on.

These guys sell really great kits which include cylinder, solenoid, exhaust muffler, tubing, compression fittings and if you want prop controllers.
FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chances are that $15 one was a air filler for tires and such running off of 12 volts. say that you have great experience while shopping "ChinaBuye" ,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts