Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the area so stopped in at a 99 CENT ONLY STORE to see what they had in...surprisingly a few items that would be handy in a halloween haunt. Grabbed some pics, here they are:

Fencing (like Big Lots):

Pool Noodles are already in stock:

Western theme bandanas:

Carnival/Circus items:

Not the best artist? How about this 4 ft x 20 inch banner you can personalize with your act name. Comes with poles. Found it standing up 4 feet in the air in a box similar to the pool noodle box.

I picked up one of the banners and think I might add some backing material to it and pop in LED globe lights (sign's plastic so don't want to melt the banner with regular lights) along the "now presenting" signage border to give it some punch and highlight the act's name.

Since I have a magician prop in the works, I picked up a long thin scarf I saw there to be part of the act. Didn't take a photo but it's a cream background with black curled mustaches on it. Just reminded me of a magician mustache. They also had a long thin scarf that had a navy blue background with white stars (a la American Flag look). Thought that looked interesting as well.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned the design of both of those edging fences has been sold by BIG LOTS over the past few years. My BL store was only starting to put out spring mdse when I was last there but next time I'm in I'll make a point to check out their 2014 fencing and post under the BIG LOTS thread. If you have a BL in your area it might be your solution if you don't live near a 99 CENT ONLY STORE. Near the end of summer they always mark the fencing down as well, which is when I bought the majority of mine for my haunt.

BTW if you are on the West/Southwest coast (CA, AZ, NV, TX) I noticed that 99 CENT ONLY STORES are opening several new stores in January 2014 : Carson, CA; Casa Grande and Scottsdale, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Waco and Humble, TX (believe more store openings are expected through out the year).

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another California store opening this summer

Just checking their site tonight and noticed that they are opening another location in California, Lake Forest. Scheduled date is in June. Check their website for updates: http://www.99only.com/grand-openings

i'll be making a trip to my local store soon and will post any interesting items.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stopped in and have to say at this point in time not as much as DOLLAR TREE currenlty has. I bought a knee high pair of red socks that will go with one of my clown outfits. I want to make the clown taller than his clown suit length and figure I can add length to the leg supports and the knee highs will cover the additional material. Kind of goofy look with "wader" pants and long ankles but he's a clown so goofy is in.

Another thing I picked up was more of the Calypso 60" hair braids. This time they had it in Black (1B) and in dark brown (color 4). Great for any hair application use....hair, ponytail, applied facial hair.

Aside from items pictured above previously, also noticed they still have in stock white zippered temporary coveralls. Long sleeved. I picked a few pairs up last year for body forms, a great use suggestion by a fellow member here. Just rubberband the end of the pant legs and sleeve ends, stuff coveralls and add body parts to finish (hands, feet, head).

Oh and my store also had left over from last halloween time the chocolate brown handled fabric bags that say "Got Candy?" in white print. Easter and 4th of july mdse was out.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I could see using those plastic fences for fence 'Toppers" and the first few feet at ground level being pvc pipe with some pieces of smaller steel re-bar inside a few of them for strength.
How do these fancy plastic 99cent fences last outside? Will the Sun fade them or otherwise ruin them?

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a good idea about the white overalls. What do you stuff them with? Are you able to add a head? Can you get them to look like a sitting person. Hmmm... This sounds interesting.

Do you have a pic of one you used last year?

I bought a few packages of the coveralls last year but didn't have the need to use them with last year's Haunted Hotel theme. TheMonsterSquad had mentioned using them in his post last year, along with posting a photo of them in their packaging: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/128658-2013-99-cents-only-stores.html Perhaps he will see this post and post any photos he has of his creations. I didn't buy any this past trip and not sure where the ones from last year are stored or would try to set one up now. My plans were to use them as body forms either in my grave yard (dead bodies above ground) or in my Mad Lab on slabs along with my John Doe sitting up prop as extra morgue citizens. I have plenty of those hands and feet props from Dollar Tree, 99 Cent Only Stores to use for the extremeties and just need a head...or not! I think with clothes on top they'll make decent, cheap bodies.

Actually I noticed that the wrist and ankles of the coveralls have elastic (according to the photo of the packaging from TheMonsterSquad's post).

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could see using those plastic fences for fence 'Toppers" and the first few feet at ground level being pvc pipe with some pieces of smaller steel re-bar inside a few of them for strength.
How do these fancy plastic 99cent fences last outside? Will the Sun fade them or otherwise ruin them?

The fencing at 99 Cent Only looked to me to be some of the same as the ones I've been buying from BIG LOTS the past few years. At a buck a section they would be cheaper than the BL ones unless maybe it was during one of BL end of season sales. I believe BL has them on their site for $8 for a set of 4 panels.

I bought mine for a cemetary fence topper as well. Haven't done the cemetary scene in a while so its a project waiting in the wings right now. However I did use a few sections of the black "Spike" panels two years ago (see photo of fencing above in thread) to add a spiked fencing effect to our real courtyard half wall (the wall was entrance to the vampire castle). I cut off the fence's upside-down-U-shaped pieces from the panel leaving only the Spike portion. I then drilled holes, to support the current "legs" of the panels, into planks of wood that were painted black, using the wood as a base to stand the fencing panels upright into. I don't have a photo so hope that makes sense. That way I just laid the base-with-panels on top of the half wall, centered it on the top stone piece and it looked pretty good and part of the wall. I did have to rethink the base as I was doing this because the piece of wood I used first time out wasn't heavy enough not to be moved by the wind, but the "wrought iron" spiked fence panels came out nicely.

I have never used any of the fence edging material long term outdoors so can't answer you about the longevity of it after lengthy sun exposure. Probably a question for the prop section. I know a lot of members have been buying it and using it for fence toppers for their fencing.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and can add that they had just gotten in a few boxes of gladiolas. Several colors. Nice looking. Lay them on a casket or do a funeral arrangement. The red was a nice color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts