Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow haunters!

I was browsing Pinterest, as I am wont to do, and found something that I wish I could take credit for, it's absolutely brilliant!

Basically, you can make lighting for your tombstones out of soda cans and a string of clear C9 Christmas lights (though I think I would use colored bulbs my own self). :D

Here's a link to the tutorial:

http://celticmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/97-cent-soda-can-lights.html

I really want to do LED spot lights but time and money are lacking. I have plenty of soda cans and a few old strings of C9 lights lying around (free is good!). I think I can pull this off for this years haunt!

Enjoy!

Chuck

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Seriously, I wish people would get their heads on straight and calculate the real cost of things. That's not a 97 cent light.

They spent at the minimum:
$0.97 for paint
@$0.37 per can for soda cans
@$4.00 for a string of lights

Overall, for 36 of these soda can spots, they probably spent in excess of $35 (1 can of paint, 3 12-pack cases of soda, at least 4 strings of lights)

Okay, so it is roughly a 97 cent spotlight, but they weren't calculating things with any accuracy. It was just "97 cents for a can of paint and everything else was free!" That's not the way to think when pricing out a project. You situation and selection of available materials is unique to you and no one will ever match the price you claim with this faulty "free! free! free!" way of thinking.

So yeah, everyone do us a favor and calculate the real price of the project as if you had to go out and buy all the materials new. That way, when we're interested in a project, we can give it serious consideration based on reality, rather than experiencing BS excitement over a price tag that can never be repeated, and getting bummed out when we realize it will be an icy day in Hell before we ever manage to come close to matching the price.

Only thing that should be "free" is tools used. You should be using your tools often enough that amortization reduces the influence on project cost to pennies per tool. That heat gun I bought years ago for $17, I have used it so much that distributing that $17 across all the projects I've done, it has effectively cost me about 2 cents per project. :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,829 Posts
blarghity does have a point.

I haven't owned a string of C9 lights since the 70s, I'd have to go buy those things. As for the rest of it, I do have that stuff in the recycling bin or the basement. I just can't imagine anyone here NOT having black paint of some sort! Isn't it in the Halloween by laws or something?:D But yeah, you really can spend more than $1 each if you don't drink soda or own the lights, etc.

I would also like to remind everyone, those suckers are gonna get hot too so be careful where you put them. But it's still a great idea.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad everyone liked this idea. I just checked my lights the other day, unfortunately, they are painted on the inside (as opposed to colored glass) so I don't think they will be bright enough. I'll have to do a test to see but I think I'm out of luck for this year. I hope someone gets some use from this.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,155 Posts
Seriously, I wish people would get their heads on straight and calculate the real cost of things. That's not a 97 cent light.

They spent at the minimum:
$0.97 for paint
@$0.37 per can for soda cans
@$4.00 for a string of lights

Overall, for 36 of these soda can spots, they probably spent in excess of $35 (1 can of paint, 3 12-pack cases of soda, at least 4 strings of lights)

Okay, so it is roughly a 97 cent spotlight, but they weren't calculating things with any accuracy. It was just "97 cents for a can of paint and everything else was free!" That's not the way to think when pricing out a project. You situation and selection of available materials is unique to you and no one will ever match the price you claim with this faulty "free! free! free!" way of thinking.

So yeah, everyone do us a favor and calculate the real price of the project as if you had to go out and buy all the materials new. That way, when we're interested in a project, we can give it serious consideration based on reality, rather than experiencing BS excitement over a price tag that can never be repeated, and getting bummed out when we realize it will be an icy day in Hell before we ever manage to come close to matching the price.

Only thing that should be "free" is tools used. You should be using your tools often enough that amortization reduces the influence on project cost to pennies per tool. That heat gun I bought years ago for $17, I have used it so much that distributing that $17 across all the projects I've done, it has effectively cost me about 2 cents per project. :D
Luckily, we have the accountant Blarghity...to keep us on track and in focus.:rolleyes: But I do see your point. :)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
That's a pretty handy idea, no matter what the cost. I don't have any clear C9 light strings, but I do have several of the clear LED light strings, size C6 I think.

I might just try it with some of those.

Thanks for posting that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts