Halloween Forum banner

9 volt battery amperage (mAh)?

2207 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  craigsrobotics
Ok, this is driving me nuts....I am in need of a "9 volt battery eliminator/adapter" to power a set of LED eyes controlled by a color changing / fading circuit...here's my dilemma - When the unit is powered by a 9 Volt battery, it works fine...BUT, when I try different 9 volt adapters (i.e. each having a different milliamp / amp rating), I get nothing, not even a flicker....so my question is, obviously this circuit requires exactly a 9 Volt battery to power itself (and must have some protection as to not get overpowered or underpowered), therefore, can anyone tell me what the mAH / amp rating is of a standard alkaline 9 Volt battery, so I can size an AC/DC adapter to use in its place? It sucks to all "royal hehaw" to have to keep replacing batteries for something so trivial....Ahhhgg....:eek:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Bête noire
2,623 Posts
That seems too weird. Battery output fades over time, and it wouldn't make sense to have to replace the battery when it gets down to like 8.5 volts. I know you've already checked, but do you have the polarity correct on the wall adapter? Even if the adapter isn't an exact match for a battery, you should be getting some response.

· Bête noire
2,623 Posts
Craig, I found a number for TBD - you could try calling and ask what's up with the circuit. The number is 630-830-9561. I also found this email: [email protected], but don't know if either of these contacts are still valid.
The only other thing I can think of is that the battery puts out a pretty steady voltage, and if you're using a non-regulated supply it may make a difference.

· Bête noire
2,623 Posts
Actually, I called Sue (Denny's wife) once to see if I could get a copy of the instructions for my UDT II IR controller, and she kindly faxed me a copy. I think they're still trying to support their customers in whatever way they can. If you really get stuck, you could try calling and see if they can offer some advice.

· Bête noire
2,623 Posts
One other thing - I've found that sockets and plugs are not universal in size (but you knew that). I had a problem getting a good connection on a socket recently, and found that if I bent the center pin in the socket slightly to one side, I got a solid connection. The barrel of the plug was too large to contact the pin. This might be why you're getting no response at all from the LED board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.