Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I have decided to have a party this year based on "An 80's Halloween", and while I definitely want to include some 80's cheesiness in this theme, I want it to still have scary Halloween elements. I've done an internet search on 80's Halloween parties, but they definitely OVERemphasize the 80's aspect. I already intend to incorporate some of the classic 80's horror icons such as Freddy & Jason, etc, but if anyone has ideas on how to balance the two parts of my theme together, I'd appreciate it!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,420 Posts
i would start by thinking about why you chose the theme in the first place. i assume it wasn't a random choice--the 80s likely evokes a feeling or a memory for you that led you to go that route. for me, the 80s were my childhood years, when i was first discovering what halloween was and enjoying all the things that kids do on halloween. if it's that same feeling for you, or if it's something else entirely, let that be your starting point.

focus on halloween in that period, and not just an 80s party that happens to be on hallowen, and i think you'll avoid those stereotypical things.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Hi Harleysangel, stick with your 80s horror for decorations and then encourage your guests to dress in 80s outfits. That will balance out your party without you going heavy into 80s time period decorations (like Rubik's cube and Pac man). You might name your buffet or drinks after 80s nostalgia tv shows, movies, etc. I always thought having a prom scene could be fun. You can do it up all 80s and it calls to mind Footloose and Pretty in Pink but also Prom Night, Night of the Creeps and Carrie (although the last was late 70s).

Potential ideas are Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Hellraiser, Michael Jackson's thriller zombies, Poltergeist --Here's a bunch of ideas for you: https://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-the-80s/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts