Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long and short of it, I'm getting a cash recognition thing (timing is incidental, not holiday bonus) and expect $800 after taxes and putting some towards some other things.

If you haven't followed me long, I build everything, don't do a lot of shopping, and thus don't even really know what is out there. I've seen chinese knockoffs of the cumulus fog machine online in this ballpark and that's about it.

Harvest theme (though there is a bit of graveyard mixed in for the next two years)
NO jump scare animatronix.

What do you go out and purchase?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Since you build everything is there any tools you need?....You mention a cumulus chinese knock off....I would probably build my own so I could put the main amount towards a good quality fogger that will last many years....Plus if the humidifier disk quits working, it will be much easier to replace if it's your own build....I watched a home build a few months ago that is a good video because he did the trial and error to get a good working unit....He showed me something I didn't know about keeping the fogger a few inches back from the pipe to get a drastic increase in more output....I also like how he implemented a water pump to keep the tank filled to the line all evening although I would have to test myself to see if that would be needed or if the water level would be fine for the few hours I would be running it....So yeah, build your own so you can invest in a much better quality fogger than the chinese knock off would be....You'll probably think of 100 different things before you actually spend the money though....LOL...ZR
Here's the link

·
Registered
895 Posts
Long and short of it, I'm getting a cash recognition thing (timing is incidental, not holiday bonus) and expect $800... I build everything, don't do a lot of shopping, and thus don't even really know what is out there. I've seen chinese knockoffs of the cumulus fog machine online in this ballpark and that's about it.

Harvest theme (though there is a bit of graveyard mixed in for the next two years)

Like you, we make nearly everything we put out on Halloween. Our yearly budget is way tighter than your current windfall, so putting it toward something we couldn't actually do ourselves would be the direction we'd go. We want fog for our yard, but it was a pretty easy decision to opt for a cheaper fogger because our yard is small and doesn't need a monster to cover the 30x15 area. That said, we have never used the foggers we have because when push comes to shove, we wind up pushing our electrical outlets to the max with things we love more than fog.

We'd actually use the money to add outdoor outlets dedicated to a new circuit breaker. We have an older house. Fifty years ago no one thought there would be as many electrical demands as there are today. We have to pull power from outside outlets accessing three separate breakers to keep our haunt lit and running without tripping anything. A new 15 amp dedicated outside outlet seems like a great use of extra money.

But you might not need what we need, so we'd suggest you look at what you really want to see come Halloween and move forward to make that happen. However, as Zombie Raider mentioned, mayboe you can use your talents to create things on your own to stretch that money into multiple projects rather than one single thing. Why have one fogger if you can create one for hundreds less and use that money to expand your harvest theme? What are the things you look at and say, "I can't actually do that myself," or "I really, really don't want to bother making that." Those are the things you should spend your new found money on. (But that's us... in the end do what you want and we guarantee that it will be money well spent. Even if that happens to be a fogger.)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
If it was me, and specifically wanting something for a haunt - vortex tunnel. I it isn't enough for a ready-made one, but if you DIY, it might be.

Congrats on the bonus and recognition. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Long and short of it, I'm getting a cash recognition thing (timing is incidental, not holiday bonus) and expect $800 after taxes and putting some towards some other things.

If you haven't followed me long, I build everything, don't do a lot of shopping, and thus don't even really know what is out there. I've seen chinese knockoffs of the cumulus fog machine online in this ballpark and that's about it.

NO jump scare animatronix.

Happy Holidays UnOrthodox. It's only 336 days till Halloween 2020 so you better get shopping. Short answer on what to buy - POWER TOOLS – If you don’t have them already invest in tools (miter saw, drill(s), circular saw, heat gun, air compressor, etc…). If you already have tools then invest in STORAGE for your props. A third option is to stock-up on prop making supplies (glue, paint, fabric (burlap), etc…) as that stuff can add up quickly. I've been an avid follower of your haunt for several years and you’re like me when it comes to making props, grab what you can, as cheap as you can and DIY the hell out of it. So any of these options would work for you… P.S. Attached is a picture of my Black Friday Halloween Haul; and yes I was rocking my Frightprops zombie T-shirt the whole time I was shopping.

Halloween Black Friday.jpg

Halloween 2020 - ready to go

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats on the bonus! Here are some thoughts:
1) take your better half out for dinner for putting up with all your Halloween crap.
2) I concur with @The Skeleton Crew - buy some tools that can help you work more efficiently. And buy quality tools!
3) I would hesitate on the fogger. You can make the chiller on your own for much less and if it’s windy then the whole thing becomes worthless. This past year was the first time I used my fogger in 3 yrs because it wasn’t even worth plugging it in.
4) how about some video gear so you can show the rest of us what you’re making next. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you build everything is there any tools you need?....You mention a cumulus chinese knock off....I would probably build my own so I could put the main amount towards a good quality fogger that will last many years....Plus if the humidifier disk quits working, it will be much easier to replace if it's your own build....I watched a home build a few months ago that is a good video because he did the trial and error to get a good working unit....He showed me something I didn't know about keeping the fogger a few inches back from the pipe to get a drastic increase in more output....I also like how he implemented a water pump to keep the tank filled to the line all evening although I would have to test myself to see if that would be needed or if the water level would be fine for the few hours I would be running it....So yeah, build your own so you can invest in a much better quality fogger than the chinese knock off would be....You'll probably think of 100 different things before you actually spend the money though....LOL...ZR
Here's the link
Looking at building my own lead me to the chinese knockoffs. To the point of having my daughter on the phone with suppliers of the humidifier disks (she's in chinese immersion and was playing translator). Come to the decision I'd only save about $100 building it myself, and I'm real iffy on a some of the electirical stuff. Plus I'm ~90% sure the one I was looking at is the chauvet without the name.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like you, we make nearly everything we put out on Halloween. Our yearly budget is way tighter than your current windfall, so putting it toward something we couldn't actually do ourselves would be the direction we'd go. We want fog for our yard, but it was a pretty easy decision to opt for a cheaper fogger because our yard is small and doesn't need a monster to cover the 30x15 area. That said, we have never used the foggers we have because when push comes to shove, we wind up pushing our electrical outlets to the max with things we love more than fog.

We'd actually use the money to add outdoor outlets dedicated to a new circuit breaker. We have an older house. Fifty years ago no one thought there would be as many electrical demands as there are today. We have to pull power from outside outlets accessing three separate breakers to keep our haunt lit and running without tripping anything. A new 15 amp dedicated outside outlet seems like a great use of extra money.
We just did that with the house renovations 2 years ago. Well worth the $$$. And, this is in the neighborhood of a full year's budget for me as well.

But you might not need what we need, so we'd suggest you look at what you really want to see come Halloween and move forward to make that happen. However, as Zombie Raider mentioned, mayboe you can use your talents to create things on your own to stretch that money into multiple projects rather than one single thing. Why have one fogger if you can create one for hundreds less and use that money to expand your harvest theme? What are the things you look at and say, "I can't actually do that myself," or "I really, really don't want to bother making that." Those are the things you should spend your new found money on. (But that's us... in the end do what you want and we guarantee that it will be money well spent. Even if that happens to be a fogger.)
That's where I'm at, I don't even KNOW what's out there as I just don't look that often. I'm not altering my planned builds, so just might add something (it might end up going to one of the other hobbies).

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was me, and specifically wanting something for a haunt - vortex tunnel. I it isn't enough for a ready-made one, but if you DIY, it might be.

Congrats on the bonus and recognition. :)
Oh.......that's going on the list....and a laser swamp as well (don't know why this made me think of the laser swamp)

·
Registered
484 Posts
On vortex tunnels... I get motion sickness just looking at those things. I've noticed that haunts are very aware that strobe lights are a problem for those with epilepsy and make sure to warn people, which is very cool. I wish there were vortex tunnel warnings as getting sick is not scary to me. I have to close my eyes to get through them. Just my two cents 🙂

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Congrats on the bonus! Here are some thoughts:
1) take your better half out for dinner for putting up with all your Halloween crap.
2) I concur with @The Skeleton Crew - buy some tools that can help you work more efficiently. And buy quality tools!
3) I would hesitate on the fogger. You can make the chiller on your own for much less and if it’s windy then the whole thing becomes worthless. This past year was the first time I used my fogger in 3 yrs because it wasn’t even worth plugging it in.
4) how about some video gear so you can show the rest of us what you’re making next. :)
Tools are a possibility, but I have a face made for radio. (though a camera upgrade is always on the list with me)

If you want a sneak peak at what I'm making next...those are 4'x4'x6" blocks, a couple of 4'x8'x4" ones on top, a 3'x 6'x 10" down low, and hidden underneath is a 3'x4'x9' solid block.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On vortex tunnels... I get motion sickness just looking at those things. I've noticed that haunts are very aware that strobe lights are a problem for those with epilepsy and make sure to warn people, which is very cool. I wish there were vortex tunnel warnings as getting sick is not scary to me. I have to close my eyes to get through them. Just my two cents 🙂

Thanks for that input...considering some of my customers, I need to run this by the school.

·
Registered
11 Posts
besides the addition of pneumatics the one jump technologically that set my props apart from my (beginner) props was the ability to weld. I would use the money to buy a nice mid-level mig welder and maybe a few welding classes at the local community college, never worry about props breaking or tipping over from wind again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts