Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
I typically stay away from "oil free" motors, they have a tendency to burn out a lot sooner than an oil cooled motor. That being said, that is a pretty low Db level for a compressor, and all but one of the 48 reviews were four stars out of five or better so it may be worth a look.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
It is louder than you think, but quieter than others. ;-)

I have a generator that operates at 53-59db and you can really talk over it, or if you face the exhaust away from you and stand a few feet away it's basically unnoticed.

69 db is like noisy street traffic
80 is like a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
591 Posts
78db from how far away? Sometimes those numbers get creative.It very well could be from next to it or it could be from 40ft away.if your really thinking about it go down to your sears store and have them plug one in and decide if it too loud or not.the sales people our on commisson so they will do that for you for the sale.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
Good luck getting them to turn it on.

I asked a guy at Lowe's to plug in an expensive dust control system so I could hear how loud it was, and he flat out refused. I told the manager that "joe" just lost a sale and took my biz elsewhere.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Wilbret has a great point about how loud compressors can be (even so-called quiet ones). I suggest running long air lines to your haunt and have the compressor somewhere else (mine is in the basement, the haunt is in the garage).

I had a great experience at Sears. The salesman volunteered to turn the compressors on for me (I was deciding between an oiless and oil pump). In fact, I'm finding myself going there more and more. Those guys really know their stuff. That is good 'cause I don't squat when it comes to power tools. :rolleyes:

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
I use craftsman pancake 2.0 hp gal (portable) & a full sizes stand up 220v. The smaller one is oil less & use if for airbrushing,air tools & home repair (my biz) & had it for 4+ years of constant use & holds up well.
the one icemanfred is looking at is a nice pump. But they are about mid sound range. Garage it on halloween best,but when it kicks on can add to the scare ! :D
Halloween time small one sees a good 4 hrs running 3-4 props But i also have an inline hose to a couple aux propane tank converted to hold 10 more gal of air. The big one i use mostly when i work on my hot rod for HD stuff & full car painting.
Can't beat a craftsman. They (salesman) do know they're stuff & worth the cost. For the price & service you couldn't pay me to use anything else....& i have,keep going back to craftsman.
Also try not to extend the cord unless you use a HD 10 gauge,best to run longer hose,plus it adds air capacity.If you want quite,they are expnsive !

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
I run 2 compressors, or at least I did.... one is in the backyard, way way way away, with plenty of hose. The other is in the garage. Air compressors are just loud by nature.

I have seen some quiet compressors, but they are almost always in the 2-4 gallon portable range, which makes sense. Makita, Ingersol-Rand and some others come to mind. However, the SCFM is going to be lower than you may need with those compressors.

I ran my props on a small 2-gal compressor just fine in year one, but it RAN ALL NIGHT, and it was annoying. Year 2 I added a storage tank, which helped.

Year three I added storage for each big prop and I added 23? gallon compressor that I borrowed from my brother.

This year I don't know what I will do... will need an electrician to beef up the circuits in the garage before halloween, for sure.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Wilbert,you would be best to add aux tanks as long as your elect system is ok.
No pyro technics please !!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wilbret has a great point about how loud compressors can be (even so-called quiet ones). I suggest running long air lines to your haunt and have the compressor somewhere else (mine is in the basement, the haunt is in the garage).

I had a great experience at Sears. The salesman volunteered to turn the compressors on for me (I was deciding between an oiless and oil pump). In fact, I'm finding myself going there more and more. Those guys really know their stuff. That is good 'cause I don't squat when it comes to power tools. :rolleyes:
But terra they I sure all the salespeople run to help you cause your HOT!or at least the pic in your avitar you look it!LOL

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking with the 26 gal capacity and possibly another 11 gal tank connected to 1 spitter prop set to a 2 second firing.
The compressor might only have to fill once.

the research I have done suggests that 78db is pretty quite in terms of a compressor.

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

So quite, I want to hear it first

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
yep

78db is indeed quiet for an air compressor, hence my original reply. The thing is, it will still be very loud. You will need to place it some distance away to conceal the noise.

Behind a garage door does pretty well, and long hose works even better.

thumpthumpthumpthumpthump for 5 minutes then whiiiiiisssssssh... isn't very eerie. ;-)

I was thinking with the 26 gal capacity and possibly another 11 gal tank connected to 1 spitter prop set to a 2 second firing.
The compressor might only have to fill once.

the research I have done suggests that 78db is pretty quite in terms of a compressor.

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

So quite, I want to hear it first

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
checked availabilty of this compressor online. called to make sure, its there.

drove to the store and it wasnt there (when I got home to check another zip code, it was completey sold out/discontinued.).
But the bigger one was there. asked to plug it in. they said they arent allowed.

Any others want to coment on the 78db rating?

I didnt want a small tank, cause I was hoping to with a larger tank it wouldnt need to refill more than once.
But one of the props I want to use it with is still under development (it is a spitter type prop.)
. and I dont exacly how much aire it will use. so its hard to tell how small a tank i can get away with. Dewalt was smaller tanks (4 gakl) witht the 78db rating (more$$$).
But I am cocern that its not big enough?

So It seems its either 33 Gal or 4 gal.

any advice???

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
I think the four gallon would work if you are only going
to put the spitter on it.

I have to things right now on my 8 gallon one of the props is in a bush
that jumps out at everybody that walks by almost constant and the compressor
works fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts