Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There has been a lot of talk this year about projecting images on walls, fog, plastic, etc. Well, I just found a projector that even I can afford!

WARNING: You must act fast! Woot.com is a One Deal - One Day site. At midnight tomorrow night (Central time), even if they have bunches left, they stop selling them & move on to something else (a few days ago it was a $150 laptop computer).

No, I don't work for them (look at my post count...) or get any kick-backs. They are just a great site selling (usually) great stuff at (always) great prices. And if it ain't great, they'll say so.

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think you'd be better off trying to find a decent used ZoomBox DVD Projector. They seem to have a better projection from everyhthing I've seen and read. That's what I'll be looking for!

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, I thought these projectors were a good deal at $90, but now $60? Have you ever bought from these guys before? At this price, someone should buy them out and sell complete Hallowindow kits.
Yes, I have bought from them several times. They are very reliable. They ship the slowest means possible, but what do you expect for $5? That's right, shipping ALWAYS costs $5, whether it's an SD card or a TV.

·
Registered
683 Posts
However, the fact that the projection screen your using is rather semi-transparent (it's just colored air, after all), you're going to need a fairly bright projector (which the torpedo isnt) or much closer to have a brighter source (but in return possibly amplifying the screendoor)

If you can stomach a $60 experiment and $10-$20 loss if you flip it on craigslist, it might work out.

Victor

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
If you go to the discussions on today's woot on the right hand side, then find tacolove's posted review you'll see it's not even worth the $5 shipping. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think you'd be better off trying to find a decent used ZoomBox DVD Projector. They seem to have a better projection from everyhthing I've seen and read. That's what I'll be looking for!
Yeah we've had our ZBox for over 2 years now and its been great. We do a few Oct. partys in the garage and project a 9 x 6 area on the garage door.....works well, just needs to be completely dark with the focus adjusted well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Just a note...I have the torpedo projector. It's not bad. I think all the bad reviews about it is that people are expecting HD quality from a $60 projector...I mean come on. For the money it will do a decent job for halloween.

Now, if your wanting to project from across the street. Well, that projector won't do it. But again then your expecting too much. For smaller effects, shorter distance it's great.

Of course with any projector the darker the better...and I think most haunts are in the dark anyway. I did test it in a room 10feet away from the wall with the light on and it was still visible.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
I bought one yesterday on WOOT. I'll post my findings here, and maybe a test on a wighead for a madam leota effect, using Mr.Chickens video.

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
I for one would really appreciate that DrM. I was really temped to buy one myself but got scared off by the reviews. Maybe someone who got one and hated it will be selling on e-bay sometime soon. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just got mine in the mail from woot today. Not a HD projector by any means... but not bad at all for $60!!! Will work great for the haunted house! I'll let Dr. M give a more detailed review, as I'm leaving town in about 10 minutes, but overall... i'm impressed!

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
I just got home from work to see it was delivered, so I opened it up and turned it on...just the menu screen mind you, and so far I think it aint bad either. I'll do more testing when I have more time.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I just got home from work to see it was delivered, so I opened it up and turned it on...just the menu screen mind you, and so far I think it aint bad either. I'll do more testing when I have more time.
Hmmm...I may have to look into these a bit more....Please get some video up when you have a chance.
Also, what's the largest picture you can get before it becomes too faint or distorted?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
If you have a "Tuesday Morning" store near you they are advertising the "Wonderwall" video projector this week for $69.00.
I saw a demo of one Saturday and it puts out a really good picture.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts