Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the online prices for finials + shipping I knew my fence budget would be blown. Unable to find a suitable substitute I decided to make my own. I purchased two sheets of 3mm black craft foam and was able to make 40 finials for $2.00. I think these look great for the price, and once painted you wont be able to tell what they are made from, not to mention they are safe so no one is going to stab themselves or put out an eye.

Supplies
12x18x3mm craft foam (black if possible)
Hot glue/gun
scissors
marker or pen

Each finial will need the follow pieces cut from the foam.
These dimensions were designed to accommodate 1/2 PVC fence that is about 3' tall. Adjust accordingly.
(2) triangles - mine are 2" at the bottom and 3" tall
(1) 1.5" x 1.5" square
(1) 1"x 3" strip (I made mine 3" + 1/16)

I made a template out of thin plastic but cardboard will work just as well. At 2"x3" you should be able to get 36 finials from one sheet. Adjust the shape and size to fit your haunt, make it wavy, serrated what ever floats your boat.

1. Trace the template across the bottom one after another, then flip it over and trace a second row.
IMG_20130211_211003_578.jpg

2. Cut out the triangles match in pairs then cut one of the pairs in half length wise.
IMG_20130211_212455_348.jpg

3. Glue the two halves to each side of the triangle creating a spear shape. Cut ouf a 1.5" square for each spear and glue to the bottom.
IMG_20130211_212944_772.jpg

4. Cut out a 1"x3" strip and glue it to the top of the PVC
IMG_20130211_205440_150.jpg

5. Glue the spear to the top of PVC/foam strip.
IMG_20130211_205023_317.jpg

6. Paint it with faux rust to match your fence. (tons of tuts on this just search the site)
I haven't painted mine yet, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can do this outside.

Thanks for looking
DZ

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure they are still living in my basement, I too have to deal with wet October weather. You got me thinking... Ill make a mock one or two and put them out for the spring and see how they hold up.

Those look really fantastic! How do they hold up in the weather? Most of us get a big wet storm right before Halloween.

·
Registered
365 Posts
very kool... stolloween did pretty much the same thing and I think just weatherized his... (spar urethane maybe)
either way... at 2 bucks for 40 if they get ruined you'll have a craft for the kids during the off season!

thanks for sharing a different version of these.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just painted a few mock ones last night. I plan to place these outside and see how they hold up. I used a base coat of black latex paint applied via brush. Drylock in areas to add a gritty texture and then a little spay of popcorn ceiling patch (just testing to see what kind of texture I could get out of it.) A second layer of black then dry brush rust and dabs of spar to add shine. Yes this is quite excessive, but I was testing different techniques... Im not totally happy with the results, the rusting dry brush got a little out of hand....
IMG_20130213_065122_239.jpg IMG_20130213_065058_023.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
yeaah... the rusting may be a little bit much... a little too bright I think... a simple gray wash may knock it down enough....

and at night it may be better to have it pronounced so you pick it out from just plain black!

either way I think they look great. Thanks for posting. I have a cauldron and a grey fence that I've been thinking about changing up so I'm always checking into these fence and rust threads.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Those look awesome! I may have to consider trying that... great idea, thank you. :)

Although, it might still be fun to have someone put out an eye... LOL
(It's fun until someone loses an eye... then it's HILARIOUS!)

·
Registered
102 Posts
looks great. i made about 24 ft. of fencing to go around my graveyard but i bought pvc finials for about 25 cents a piece from king architectural metals. they have some cool ones also, they need a bit of alteration to fit pvc pipe. finial.jpg

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I may just make some of these for our fence. Seems to produce an excellent look and the price can't be beat!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,337 Posts
gee - it may be time to retire the store-bought fence panels to the backyard trail and make a new fence from scratch for the front yard.... VERY cool finial technique! Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im testing the durability / longevity of the foam finials by placing them out in my yard for the spring. I figure the extreme weather swings we get here in the midwest should cover all the ranges of temperate and moisture. I placed this one about 3 weeks ago on the side of my house, exposed to sun, rain & frost. So far its holding up well, I see no obvious wares to the foam.
DSCN0175.jpg DSCN0179.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discosombie,
Thanks for the idea of using foam to create the finials. My son and I finished are fence over the weekend and they look great.
Thanks again,
Flying Conch
Cemetery Fence Old Salem Way.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts