Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally finished a really easy project. I call it the 44 gallon Vortex and man does this thing rock.

I used the design most people use around here except a few changes.

First I wanted a big chamber so I went for the 44 gallon. I used 4 8ft dryer vents inside and a 3 foot 4 1/2 PVC pipe down the center which elbows to the out chamber. I went this way so the center pipe is encased in ice instead of only surrounding the inner pipe work of the dryer vents.

It was really easy and took about a hour to complete. HD sells these dryer vents that screw into the vent work you need a coupler to fit them to each other but that is cheap.

All in all this thing rocks, I mean I can not even begin to explain how low this fog stays put. It is merried with a Chav 1700 fog machine so I wanted it to travel pretty far through the duct work to cool it down. Here is the chamber and an outside pic. I don't have video on my cam so boo-hoo. But trust me besides my FCG this is by far the most entering thing I've built. Now I can hide peanuts in the fog to replicate bugs and they will never know. Trust me build one and you to will be crazy about it.

Here are the pics.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I hear a lot of good things about the vortex design and it is fairly popular. From the videos I have seen it looks like it works really well. I have seen the GotFog.com version work well which is what I do. Any method will work as long as it is getting the fog good and cold before it exits.

The best thing to do is go to YouTube and search for Fog Chillers. You will get a lot of returns and can see them and all the different styles in action.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this design last year with great results although the only problem was that it took 80lbs of ice to fill it.

With mine, I wanted to have the fog inside but I didn't want a water mess so instead I sat it outside of the window and put on a garbage bag from the output to the window with the controller inside.

Here is a vid of my results:

YouTube - Garbage Can Fog Chiller

·
Banned
524 Posts
You do fill this with ice right? Does that not create a problem with the weight crushing the tubing inside?
Yes you do fill it with ice.

If you use the aluminum dryer duct that is a little more rigid then that flimsy shinny paper looking duct then you would be ok.

It would work better with the aluminum dryer duct since it will hold the chill better.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Looks like a great design. Better then most trash can chillers that I have seen. I bet it works great. I need to build a couple more. I might go with this design as I won't cringe as much cutting into a trash can than a cooler....LoL Also I am sure I can incorporate the can into my display covered with come creepy cloth covered or burlap and set some props on top.

Have you thought about attaching some drainage tube to the outlet? I hear it works really well and think I might try it as well to spread the fog nicely. Here is a video of what I am talking about.

YouTube - 2007 Fog Chiller / Tube

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Mix Salt and Ice Water will keep the temp. below freezing...Mythbusters proved it. I've done it to chill beers but not for a fogger. You might want to try it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny you say that... I was wondering the same thing. I was just reading online that adding salt to ice can drop the temp below -21 degrees. I wonder how much salt is required.. and if it would be a waste of time. I built gotfog.com's cooler chiller and haven't tested it yet.

One reason I wouldn't want to use salt is if the melted ice and salt leak out and get everywhere. I can't imagine the salt water would do wonders for my landscaping.

I wonder if the "volumiser" from Vortex is just salt?

http://www.deathlord.net/Products/Pics/volumizer.jpg

·
Registered
591 Posts
As the fog chills it sinks down though the ice cooling it more before exiting out thought the other opening.Something I have been thinking about doing but haven't had time or money this year is to make some kind of tombstone or cyrpt that would really be a fog chiller on the inside so you would have your chiller but would look like a prop and may quiet the sound from the fogger at the same time.if anyone desides to market this I get a cut. and if anyone builts this for them self please say where you got the Idea.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
As the fog chills it sinks down though the ice cooling it more before exiting out thought the other opening.Something I have been thinking about doing but haven't had time or money this year is to make some kind of tombstone or cyrpt that would really be a fog chiller on the inside so you would have your chiller but would look like a prop and may quiet the sound from the fogger at the same time.if anyone desides to market this I get a cut. and if anyone builts this for them self please say where you got the Idea.
I have seen a tombstone FogChiller that looks really cool with the fog spilling from the skulls on the side. I'll look for a picture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts