Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone user Acrylic Mirrors in their haunt? Real mirror is not an option. I want to keep it light and safe. I am building a garage haunt with wall panels that are 48" x 72". I have some money to spend but would love to get the price down from an average of $150 per wall...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I helped a buddy a couple of years ago make a plexi mirror and while it was not 4x6 it was pretty good size. We got a good sized piece of plexi from a sign maker, it had a small flaw and was under $10. (Other areas to check for a good deal on the material would be a habitat style restore etc.)

We then used automotive tent film sold at the local parts store ~$15 a roll, to make the plexi into a one way mirror. The trick to the tint was to use water and a small rubber spreader for bondo or a hand held rubber spatula (type without a handle) to remove the air bubbles. Total for the plexi mirror was about $25 which was super cheap.

Another very light and inexpensive idea is to build a 2"x2" frame and cover it with the heat shrink style window coating folks in snow country use to add extra insulation to their windows, it used to come in a mirror finish as well. Issue however would be fire resistance if you have an inspection to worry about and it may not hold up to the occasional bump by a guest. However it would only take minutes to fabricate if your wife will let you borrow her hair dryer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Another thought:

While regular mirror is not very safe you can get used aluminum frame patio doors super cheep (if not free!) These are tempered safety glass and very robust so it would be a marked improvement over a regular mirror. Like the plexi, add mirror tent and they are good to go. While not super light a 3x6'8 door is really not that heavy if you find older aluminum frame single pane units. These also would have far less fire code issues.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks everyone for these ideas. I would love to incorporate these ideas into a garden. Don't want perfect mirrors just a little bling!!!;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts