Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this last year and it was fun to see some of the replies. So how are you faring in terms of preparation and being ready for the big night, whether it be a yard haunt, walk through, or even a party.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a lot to do but working steadily and should have everything ready in time, even if it means working up to and including Halloween itself.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Are you kidding... No where near as ready as we'd like. Still have a few projects to finish up, more then a few things to find in the stack of totes stack floor to ceiling. Little things like a job has been getting in the way this year.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would be fine except the weather has kept me from doing things on schedule. It's just been too hot at night or raining.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
State of Readiness, you say J-Dub? Pretty much spot-on at our place. I dont normally set out props until the 24th but this year will be different. A Haunted signpost and a giant Grim Reaper roof crawler will go up Monday. Plus, I'm fabbing up a vertical fog chiller, and doing touch-up painting on props. You always learn something new doing this; this year I learned that cheap dollar store neon paint reacts to black light. Next year out graveyard will be awash in UV... Plus I'm adding some additional plywood cutouts for our Great Pumpkin/Peanuts homage that we do for our across-the-street neighbors.
So, busy, but not frenetic...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
I'm sorta "meh" on this year. We had 5 ToTers last year so I'm not getting my panties in a wad over stuff anymore.

What I AM worried about is getting my crafting done before next Saturday. I plan on selling stuff at the fire dept. dinner & I've still got lots to do for that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have some "tweaking" to do at the barn but all scenes (13) are at least presentable. Biggest worry is mechanical stuff. Will it work through 6 nights without crapping out? Then again will anyone show up. It's our first try at a public haunt and who knows what response will be. I' sure we will be working up until the last minute.
We did a night time walk through last Friday with a couple neighbors and it seemed to go well. Just remembering to turn everything on was a challenge. Must make a better list.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pretty much done, just filling in details. Realized that I had one tombstone that I hadn't finished a base for, it's now done and will go out today. Bought a new LED flood for the expanded graveyard but it was defective out of the box, will replace today. Got new lighting for our Halloween tree but it was too windy to put up yesterday. Hopefully today. Have one animated prop I need to finish, but if I don't, then I don't. That's the only major thing left. Otherwise, it's all up and working just fine. It isn't worth stressing over. I get done what I get done. Nobody will know the difference if I don't.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,987 Posts
I have the basics out (cemetery fence, headstones, blowmolds) but none of the fun details to give it character. I don't even have the people skeletons or the lights out of the depths of the garage yet!
Yet, here I sit at work, close enough to quitting time that I don't want to start any more projects - thinking of all that I could get doing at home before the darn rain starts again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am very zen about my decorating this year. It will get done, or it won't and that's ok. I have finished all the projects that were low hanging fruit, I have a few more that I don't really expect to be done by Halloween given my energy level, and I'm surprisingly ok with that. I have the majority of the bits for my costume, that's the next must get to task, but it's straightforward, I'm sure it will get done. The only thing that I'm stressed even a bit about is my mother's halloween party. I'm supposed to help her set up for it, and while it's fun, there's added pressure and expectation there. I'm sure it will be fine, she was thrilled to just get her hands on my party supplies, and I'm not going to be the only one helping her, I'm just in a new job with new and interesting expectations and a rather unpredictable schedule, so I'm trying not to overpromise how much I can help.

·
The Haunting Girl
854 Posts
The best word(s) to describe my state of readiness: (insert assorted swear words here).

Between the weather and my health issues I've gotten almost nothing done this pre-season. It's been too hot or too rainy... When I get halfway decent weather I'm usually too tired or hurt too much to work on anything. Then to top everything off my power station for my hot wire tools just went bad the other day. I will hopefully be able to borrow one from the haunt that I work for so I can finish my tombstones for this year.

If this rain keeps up all my work won't even matter. My whole haunt kind of hinges on having dry weather so my yard doesn't turn into a swamp. I really feel down right now... I'm hoping the pro haunt I work for can actually open this weekend. They lost their opening weekend to the rain (it's a local farm), and it just rained a lot again last night. I'm hoping once things really get going that I'll feel better about the whole season.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I really only stress on the 30th and 31st. Even if I am behind my schedule. I always get it all done. So this year will be no different. The only thing that ever puts a kink in my plans is we have a large company anniversary party every year the Saturday before Halloween. So I work a ton that friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It makes it more difficult to get things done

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
I'd say that we're on-track so far (fingers crossed; you never can tell what curveball will get tossed at you!), and were able to get the first week elements out on the night of the 1st.

Basically, the first layer of lighting, and a few jacks at this point....in essence, just letting folks know we'll be there:

2018- Week 1.jpg

The neighborhood seems to be used to this 'slow-roll' approach by now; each week a new layer will be placed through the weekend before the Big Day, when the bigger props will go out.

With any luck, we should be ready to go full-throttle on the 27th, or 28th.

Of course, it would help immensely if I would quit coming up with last-minute "wouldn't it be cool if" notions...:eek:

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,766 Posts
My wife never gives me permission for more than a day or two of prep and set-up so I secretly assemble things when she's asleep...loving the newly prescribed sleeping pills which get her to bed around 930pm.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The best word(s) to describe my state of readiness: (insert assorted swear words here).

Between the weather and my health issues I've gotten almost nothing done this pre-season. It's been too hot or too rainy... When I get halfway decent weather I'm usually too tired or hurt too much to work on anything. Then to top everything off my power station for my hot wire tools just went bad the other day. I will hopefully be able to borrow one from the haunt that I work for so I can finish my tombstones for this year.

If this rain keeps up all my work won't even matter. My whole haunt kind of hinges on having dry weather so my yard doesn't turn into a swamp. I really feel down right now... I'm hoping the pro haunt I work for can actually open this weekend. They lost their opening weekend to the rain (it's a local farm), and it just rained a lot again last night. I'm hoping once things really get going that I'll feel better about the whole season.
Yep....same here. It's supposed to storm for the entire next week. Feeling very down. I would hate to work all year on my display and not even have it out for a week. Huge waste of time, ugh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts