Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from the UK:) Had a few days holiday from work so got quite a few things finished to add props for Creepy Carnival. My Hubby and Daughter have been frantically running around the house trying to hide anything that glows, spins or moves or it gets hacked!;)
Anyway, first one to the list is the spinning clown. I was originally just going to hang this from ceiling as a static prop but then spotted my Daughters disco ball so I have used the motor that spins that to turn the hoop and it does spin really well. To keep it light weight the costume is just fitted to a coat hanger, and the head is a plastic mask I used for pirates last year, just repainted and stuck on a ball made from plastic bags taped together and stuck on the hook part of the hanger. Once the wig was on you can't see the fixing. I will be adding some battery operated lights also ( sorry I have only posted one video, as I was filming my Gorilla prop when the batteries died, so the rest are just photos, but I will add videos when I can)

Pink Costume Piñata Plant Fictional character
Green Pink Clown Costume Fictional character

I decided I wanted to have a circus animal area, so I have made this Gorilla in a crate. I had an old Christmas Hat that had a tree on the top that moved from side to side when you pressed a button, so I pulled that apart, got rid of the christmas tune and attached this to a step pad and added the Gorillas hand. When you go past and stand on the pad the arm moves side to side and it will having growling noises, I will cover in fur but have left it so you can see the movement.

Art Wood Sculpture Visual arts Fictional character
Art Wood Fictional character Illustration Visual arts

I have also made a ghost train carriage and am currently making a track for this, which will come out of the wall through fake doors. The ghost is made with same head as spinning clown, attached to a garden cane and covered in torn white plastic bags. This is then stuck in the carriage which is just made from cardboard box. There is lights on the front, and I will also add white LEDS to inside the ghost.

Present Toy
Room Furniture Shih tzu Interior design House

To add to circus animals I have made an elephants head. This is made from a cardboard cut out covered in paper mache and painted. It will be attached to a oscillating fan so it moves form side to side and will coming out of red curtains, I am also making a leg to stick out also. Underneath the leg will be a skeleton as if the elephant has crushed his trainer. There will also be elephant noises.

Paper Elephant Drawing Paper product Art
Elephant Elephants and Mammoths Indian elephant African elephant Working animal

Finally, a really quick clown head, again made from a head I used for pirates, re-painted it and the red nose is attached to a small hand held fan so it spins around when pressed.

Clown Skull Illustration Art Bone

As usual any comments or feedback on how to make these better would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
Wow! these look really good!!! The elephant head is pretty unique, I would probably stuff the clown in the ring some to give him a body shape? Also a large long black uv light at night will make these pop in the dark.....Fantastic love them all. The gorilla is perfect, nothing to say about that scary box.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the ideas, I agree the UV light would work well. I have tried to stuff the clown with bags and other things, but it really makes a difference to the spinning power of the motor so not quite sure what to use to give that body shape without loosing the spin? :eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paint It Black, the air filled pillows are a great idea. My Mum is getting a delivery next week which would probably have those or something similar in so I will give it a go:)

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Nice creations!

I can see where the hoop clown could be tricky. Sounds like you either need a stronger motor or maybe just a very thin but strong wire frame work to help fill out the shape of the clothes. Possibly there's some floral wire that would work. You could always wrap two or three strands of really thin wire together to create more of a cabling that would add more strength. When weight comes into play it's amazing how extremely lightweight items even packing peanuts can add up quickly. Only other thing I can think to suggest would be thin long balloons to fill out arm and leg clothing (like those for making balloon animals), with the wire restricted to his torso area for shaping. Only other thing I can possibly think of to lightly add form would be using some of that polyfiber fill for stuffing pillows. It can be pulled apart quite a bit and still have some shape to it.

Not sure where you were thinking of lighting on this prop, but I could see adding those battery-operated tiny rice LED lights wrapped around the hoop. If not wrapped all the way around at least the upper half.

The ape in the crate looks great (hey that rhymnes!) as is. Is the toy arm mechanism sound or motion sensored? Make sure you have lighting to enable trigering if you need it.

Like you sense of coloring. Really everything looks great.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, I agree the UV light would work well. I have tried to stuff the clown with bags and other things, but it really makes a difference to the spinning power of the motor so not quite sure what to use to give that body shape without loosing the spin? :eek:
Would balloons work???

All of the props looks great, so colourful, the UV light is a good idea, it would really set them off!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ghost of Spookie:) Didn't think of balloons:rolleyes: Have loads of different sizes here so I will give that a try think that's a good idea just to give it a bit more shape. Only reason I used the disco ball motor was because we already had it so thought it made sense to use that rather buy one (always stealing someones stuff, if it moves, spins or lights up...I will have it!) I have just got a load of those little battery operated LEDs from the Pound Store, so was going to wrap them all the way around the hoop and the hide the battery pack under his leg, they flash on and off so should look ok. I have tried to stick to the same colors, I have used green, purple and pink on all my stuff the carnival sign, ticket booth etc just thought I would do something different to the usual red and white. The toy arm mechanism has a little wire on that was attached to a button on the original hat I pulled to bits, so I have attached that to the wire on one of those step pads, it's black so can't be seen but as soon as someone steps on it it activates the arm. I am going to have the ape/gorilla noises playing all the time though. There is only one thing that can spoil my plans, and that is the weather in the UK, not usually great in October so always have to two plans ...where all the outdoor stuff is going to go if it is raining!!!!!!:( Great rhyming too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts