Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seem so cool but I can't really see any good ideas for them for Halloween.

Sure I could print off some jagged skulls and bones to put in the front yard, but I can also get those for a few bucks on Nov. 1 (like I did this year).

I keep really wanting to jump into 3D printers, and I wondered if anyone had any great ideas for them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use my little printrbot simple for lots of stuff, mostly custom cases for my electronics. Most of 'em can't print really big things (plus is takes forever to print them) but little details are very doable and look good.

I printed out fake hexagonal bolt heads for some props, rust painted them, and hot glued them down. You can print several in one print to go faster.
I made a custom part for a magic wand that looks great. Fence finials, a golden snitch (from Harry Potter)... it is overwhelming realizing just what you can do with them.

Maybe check out Thingiverse.com. Hundreds of good ideas that may spark an idea.
neverhart

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I use it for odd little parts that either need to be precisely fit onto another, or need to be clean and geometric. I also work at an effects shop from time to time that uses them extensively. The downside is that every print needs more or less extensive cleanup to get rid of the layer lines, so as far as finished pieces go, you kind of have to weigh whether it's worth your time to do that so that you can have exactly what's in the computer, or if it makes more sense to just make it by hand.

We are getting one in December. I am hoping to print the pointy bits for my new fence with it.
It would be most efficient to print one or three, clean them up, mold them, and pour up resin copies. Cost would be comparable, too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pointy bits = finials (-;

I use it for odd little parts that either need to be precisely fit onto another, or need to be clean and geometric. I also work at an effects shop from time to time that uses them extensively. The downside is that every print needs more or less extensive cleanup to get rid of the layer lines, so as far as finished pieces go, you kind of have to weigh whether it's worth your time to do that so that you can have exactly what's in the computer, or if it makes more sense to just make it by hand.
What Mr. Chicken said. A 3D printer is great at making something that must be very specifically shaped (like something that fits onto something else) although you do spend some time and effort making sure it fits exactly (quite often the plastic may shrink from exact dimensions, necessitating you print it a little bigger than you want the shape to be.) I'd say for most non-professional haunting needs, the layer lines aren't problematic, especially when you prime and paint them which can fill in the small inconsistencies.

And like Monsieur Poulet also mentioned: if you need to do a big run of objects, printing one out, creating a mold of it, and pouring resin copies of it is probably the most cost effective way to do it.

neverhart

·
Registered
460 Posts
I will soon have access to some 3d printers, and I've got a few plans. First is some light switches that look like the ones in Frankenstein's lab. I am also hoping to make some cool monster & plant specimens.

At the workshop I will soon be joining, there is also a printer that cuts shapes out of paper - so it gives similar lightweight results for decorative objects, but the material cost is much less. With some varnish on the outside, the objects are waterproof & long lasting as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just remembered that some people have figured out how to print endless strands of chains. I imagine being able to get custom decorative chains in whatever size you want would be appealing to most home haunters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm into animatronics so having a 3d printer is great. I have done eyes, hands, servo mounts, and olafs arms, hands, and hair. There great once you get them dialed in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts