Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 3d printer. I have just convinced my better half to buy me one for my Birthday. Cant wait for it to arrive. I'm already designing stuff to make wit it. I'm working on a bracket for a vortex mirror so I can move the vortex around. Should look cool.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't have one but they are fascinating. What engineering program are you using to make 3D models? I'm only familiar with Makerbot software, but I'm sure there are plenty of other options. I have no real computer skills when it comes to design, so I've been hesitant to even look into buying a printer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We've got one at work. It's useful, and great in a shared environment. I haven't been able to justify the cost of owning one myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using Inventor 14 for my design work. I used do design machinery as part of my job a few years ago.
I am currently building a laser vortex with a movable mirror angle which I'm going to control with an Arduino. Just printing the last part now.
I have been very happy with the printing quality so far.
As for the cost, this unit was $330AU. Not much more than a paper printer for you office.
I will post a few pics of what I have made soon.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've been looking at them for about 2 years now but so far they've been impracticable for someone like me with 0 experience....That being said I'm closer than ever to getting one....There is free programs like ie: Cura seems to be a popular one.....I don't want to buy a cheap kit you have to build from scratch (my experience level almost guarantees it won't work without an insane amount of hours dedicated to the task) and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars for a turn key solution either....I'd love to have one with a 12 inch squared build plate but the prices for those are insane.....Many of the kickstarter program printers that looked promising a year ago are having trouble releasing a working product.....Makerbot announced it was laying off it's entire work force and sending manufacturing to China....With everything being so new and moving forward at an incredible pace, I've had a really hard time wading through all the info to find a solution.....Cubify seems to be the "Apple" equivalent in the 3D printing world but I refuse to pay their start up price for a printer and then turn around and pay double (or more) for their proprietary cartridge filament spools only available from them.....And then you have to send the cartridge back so they can refill it....Not to mention if the filament breaks or binds inside the cartridge, your done.....No Thanks.....I did find a company http://robo3d.com/ that looks very promising.....They have a printer for $800 with a print volume of 10″L x 9″W x 8″H....I think it's third generation so a lot of bugs/refinements have been made....Enough people use them now they have a support forum and the people seem knowledgeable/nice/willing to help out...It has an auto leveling feature....They say this eliminates a lot of print issues right off the bat....The filament is affordable and can print with various materials....You can add improvements as you can afford it like a dedicated interface so you don't have to use your computer.....This looks like it would make a nice intro into the world of 3d printing for me....I can definitely feel your excitement......ZR

·
Registered
99 Posts
i've never had a 3D printer and didn't um...actually realize they were available to the public now! ^^0 but i hope when you get the printer, you'll share your experiences and creations! i've never really been able to figure out the extent of what you can make with those.

so what are some of the other things you're planning on making with your new toy?^^

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
They've been out to the public for several years now....I think anyone that understands what they do realizes this is going to be an every household item in the future....One day it's going to be to the point you push a button and print what you want...Probably have commercial files for purchase kind of thing.....You can print just about anything you can imagine....Go to thingiverse and type in halloween for examples or go to youtube and type in halloween 3d printing.....I personally want to start making my own customized yard inflatables and a 3d printer will allow me to make anything from arduino / 4 inch speaker / electronics enclosures to customized servo brackets that would be held in place by sewing pockets inside the inflatable....Also small par cans for LED lights to negative moulds to cast plaster for vacuforming.....I would also need special brackets like servo arm to 1/4 inch connector for quick connecting wooden or carbon fiber rods.....The 3d printer would be perfect for these kinds of purposes....Like I said, go to thingiverse and youtube for endless ideas!....ZR

i've never had a 3D printer and didn't um...actually realize they were available to the public now! ^^0 but i hope when you get the printer, you'll share your experiences and creations! i've never really been able to figure out the extent of what you can make with those.

so what are some of the other things you're planning on making with your new toy?^^

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A friend of mine uses one at our local library in Knoxville, Tenn.
I use several 3D programs
and I mine look into this one weekend

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are definitely lots of fun, but also lots of work to get the settings just right. I have a Flashforge Creator Pro and love it. As for software I use Blender, 123D, and Simplify3D. I know there are free programs, but I think Simplify3D is great and definitely worth buying. I'm new here and actually just posted these in the for sale by merchants thread, but here is what I create with mine, vintage style Halloween toys on wheels. I collect the real, vintage versions of these. Without 3D printing I wouldn't be able to design and create my own. Have fun with it!

DSC_0439.jpg

These are available at: witchhousedesign.etsy.com

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been 3D printing for a few years. I started with a Printrbot Simple made of wood (first version) that I had assembled. I'm now using a Prusa i3 that I built. I printed a bunch of parts and ordered other pieces online to cut down to size. In the end, it was a real PIA. The prints posted here came from that machine that can print 14x8x8 (LxWxH).

I would highly recommend something like the Printrbot Simple metal. It has done well in the last 2 or 3 years for the Make magazine printer review/tests for the lower end price of printers ($500'ish). Moving up in price the Lulzbot is another highly rated machine. I would start on the lower end to get your feet wet and go from there.

It's a vertical learning curve, but it's a lot of fun. We now have a lot of different, exotic filaments that makes printing more fun. I just got some filament that has metal in it, and I've been working on purposely rusting it. My son was digging a Fallout badge I printed and rusted.

The Terminator skull below is one of the largest, single print items I've done (7" tall) and it took 36 hours. Printed in chrome paint, it looks pretty good IMO. I also like the Celtic skull. It has a lot of nice detail. All of these models can be found on thingiverse.

I also use Inventor and Simplify3D. You definitely have to think in advance of how you're going to print something as you're designing it. I used to use Repetier Host, but FWIW I've had real good results from S3D.

T-800-2.jpg

Coasters.jpg

Jack-iphone5 case.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

EddiethEd.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
woooooaaaaaaah......:eek: you....you can make this kind of stuff with a 3D printer.....???

....i am impressed and i kinda sorta want one now too....XD

·
Registered
401 Posts
yeah, you can really get carried away with printing stuff, but it can also be challenging in terms of calibrating the printer to get quality prints.

I really like the coasters I had printed last year, but there is a significant flaw with them...if you look closely you'll see it....the Crown Royal glass is empty :(

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We have had one for years but it had issues so we didn't use it much. Now we have a Boxzy whci does 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC. We haven't used it yet because the laser was messed up and we are waiting on a couple more parts. I have some files from http://www.thingiverse.com/ I am dying to print though including this for the top of my cemetary columns.

image_preview_featured.jpg

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That's a really cool bat!....ZR

We have had one for years but it had issues so we didn't use it much. Now we have a Boxzy whci does 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC. We haven't used it yet because the laser was messed up and we are waiting on a couple more parts. I have some files from http://www.thingiverse.com/ I am dying to print though including this for the top of my cemetary columns.

View attachment 278630

·
Registered
567 Posts
I plan on getting a 3D printer for my son this year. He turns 21 in September and this would make his day. I am a little overwhelmed with the choices. Hopefully he will thank dear old Mom with some Halloween goodies.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
For sure don't let yourself get sucked into buying an inexpensive printer as it'll only make it much tougher to do. I just got an email where Monoprice has a small one for $199. The problem is the build space is under 5" cubed. So it becomes frustrating when you can't print even an iphone case.

The problem with the low cost printers is typically the hotend is of low quality and will be susceptible to jamming. So as soon you start printing you'll find that it won't extrude filament or it will be intermittent, etc. I've seen where the printers work fine right out of the box but after a few hours things just go downhill from there.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
every once in a while I will re visit 3d printers.

I think its funny that you find the first things people print are upgrades for the printers themselfs.

anyone else do any research on robo 3d r1 plus??
I see staples has it for $100 cheaper. today is the last day of the promotion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts