Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Probably too soon to have it's own section but without a doubt in the next few years it's going to be HUGE!!!.....I can't imagine what Halloween creations people will come up with but my mind is racing with animatronic eyes, heads, hands, owls , crows, etc.....Finally the ability not only to print the object but also all the internal servo mounts, rods, etc.....I won't even get into 3d scanning and the doors that will open up....Just think, want a scary hand?....Just pose your hand the way you want, scan it and print!.....OK, it's going to be a little while until the software makes it that easy but I'm sure there are a lot of people working on it.....Now that they are growing in popularity, it's just a matter of time until the price comes down making it more affordable....I'm not ready to learn CAD software either so it will be just a bit longer for me.....ZR

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sort of
CNC machines take a block and remove from it to create an object where as 3d printers build an object layer by layer by extruding plastic or other materials.

Wikipedia is the best if you want to learn about the technology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing#Consumer_use

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not a bad idea. It could be a place to offer both decorative tchotchkes and useful items like replacement gears.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the decorative tchotchke category-- which is all I've found so far. I've gotten ossuary dice, mini cryptid skeletons, a hand shaped shot glass. They make printed body parts, including skulls and organs, that are taken from medical scans. They can print in plastics, metals, and ceramics/porcelain--- some very, very cool stuff. I don't have the knowledge, but I see the hardware really coming down in price, and it's a temptation!
Already if you have a need, there are designers at Shapeways who will help you produce your replacement gear or make your vision of a mask come to life.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
The industry will be huge as it becomes more affordable and accessible. My neighbor has made 3 of his own 3-D printers, is an inventor of sorts. He printed a little robot for our daughter, it is pretty cool!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There are several printers that can print in nylon now....The pinball enthusiasts are restoring their old games like crazy since they can simply print the parts to make them work again......They said it's great because they can print a brand new part instead of buying an old used brittle part on Ebay.......A 3D printer builds the piece up layer by layer by very small amounts (in millimeters)....The smaller the amount the finer the detail....Here is a quick time lapse video of a skull being printed if you've never seen one in operation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_-UiU9CuU The one I've been eye balling is the cube pro but it's $2500 and you have to buy special cartridges for that particular one (like $100/cartridge) so it's not cheap....I would need at least a 10 inch square print area to be able to do a full size head....Although I've seen guys that really know what their doing break the print down to several prints and then assemble the pieces into an object that's bigger than the printer can print in one go.....This is definitely a game changer for the near future.....ZR

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
sort of
CNC machines take a block and remove from it to create an object where as 3d printers build an object layer by layer by extruding plastic or other materials.

Wikipedia is the best if you want to learn about the technology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing#Consumer_use
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just read up on it and i have to have one. Who wants to give me money? C'MON...............

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My dream someday is to design a 3 axis skull that will print all the innards as it's printing the outside of the skull....so when it's done printing you can clean it up, pop in some servos and ready to roll....I've already seen printed eyeballs and hands.....Even a working animatronic owl and crow.....The holy grail though would be to successfully print a fully animated hatbox ghost like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFD-TBRdgA Once you had a successful print design for the arms/hands etc , you could print up all the characters of your dreams with any movement....I'm reading about 3d printing almost every evening and a lot of it is hard to grasp for a newbie to be honest....I have a friend that does this for a living now but he's busy running a shop in the mall and spending countless hours getting that business off the ground.....I know over the next year or so they are going to "dumb" the software down so the average person can use it but I'm afraid it may be too dumb to design something as intricate as a working animatronic....Also it would be nice to print with different materials like nylon for the mechanics because it's much stronger than the plastic which would be fine for the skull.....Also they have a flex material now for making things like iphone covers so you can slip them over for a tight fit....I think it would be cool to make a skin over the skull so it's more like a zombie but I don't think the flex material is that flexible....Anyway this is all too new to me to really figure out what printer,software, etc just yet so I'll keep reading for now..... It's definitely something I see me getting in the future though....ZR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts