Halloween Forum banner

3d hologram?

Atmosphere Effects: 
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Icepick 
#1 ·
#4 ·
that is kewl ... at least, since i haven't tried it, and from looking at the video, it looks like it would be kewl :)

now, how do we make a holographic video so that we can make something that'll make a, say 6' tall image?

i've found some images on you tube and it looks like the same image is located at the corners of an imaginary square.

or are there differences for each image?

if the images are the same, then this should be a "relatively easy" prop to make ... project the image onto a 45degree mirror so that it projects up onto the plexiglass ... or is there another easier way?

amk

#6 ·
icepick,

yeah, you're probably correct unless you used, say a shower curtain under the plexi

looks like for large scale, at least the video that i saw, they use 4 projectors ... 1 for each side of the plexi ... i'd imagine that getting the 4 projectors perfectly aligned is a huge pita
i'm guessing that they're projecting down?

i wonder what this video used to project onto over the glass? this has me thinking that wouldn't the image that is being seen is the lcd image in the projector ... so projecting onto a mirror and up would work ... ? as it appears that they're just projecting onto the plexi ? ...

now i'm confused ... lol :)

if i had some time i'd perform a little experiment ... does pepper's ghost work if you use a mirror? maybe someone's already tried this???

amk

#7 ·
While this is pretty cool, not sure this concept has much use for haunters. To get a large hologram you would need a very large glass or plexiglass pyramid along with 4 projectors in a very complicated set up. I think the standard projection techniques that most of use do a very good job of creating the illusions most of us are after.

#8 ·
I don't know about that, I thought of tons of possibilities for this and immediately went in search of how to 's and larger applications. I totally agree with J-Man that standard projection techniques are great! (In fact I typically use some form of them almost every year.) But one of the things I love so much about Halloween is that it offers limitless creativity and endless possibilities. I love the constant pushing of artistic boundaries, and am always amazed by the ingenious things haunters come up. Sadly I am technologically challenged so I will be probably be sticking to the standard projection options. So while this probably won't make it into my wheelhouse, I can definitely imagine some really cool ideas for it and would love to see someone utilize it.

#9 ·
It's entirely possible to use this effect in a haunt. The issue is size of the setup to get a full size (in this case we'll say a person) image. It will take up an awful lot of real estate. The hardest part is lining up the four videos so they make a cohesive image when walking around the illusion. What the above (or below depending on how you view the forums) image of the full size doesn't show, are the corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.