Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fan girling over that Katherine Collection framed art since last year. I decided to try my hand at a simpler version. You can do this with just about any similar hanging prop.

Awesome Katherine art

4769fea4fa7d402acad4510c788d3a07.jpg

Last year I picked up this hanging ghost girl for cheap at the At Home store. I liked that the back of her head was flat. The frame is from Goodwill. This will be the 3rd Halloween repurposing it. I found some Victorian style fabric on sale at Joann's and simply stapled it around the canvas.

IMG_3415.jpg IMG_3417.jpg

I placed the ghost girl on top. I took some thin wire, poked it through the fabric/canvas and tied it around her neck. That's it. Here's the forward and side view.

IMG_3419.jpg IMG_3420.jpg

Some variations: If you secure your hanging prop at the shoulders, the head will bend down more. Definitely do if you are hanging your art higher on the wall.

You can also cut a slit towards the bottom of the frame. Slide all the excess material through there and secure in back. This will give you a similar look to the Katherine Collection art. Add some embellishments. Since mine was a ghost, I decided to leave her material loose over the frame.

If your prop has arms, another idea is to cut slits around the shoulder area, pull the arms through in the back and then bring them around the front. You could make it look like it's holding it's own frame -- like the nun from the Annabelle movie.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Printersdevil, I just did another one today. It really elevates a cheap prop to a higher level. This was some cheap canvas art, red material and fringe. I cut a couple slits in various places and fed wire through so his cape would "flow" nicer. Before, I could only hang this little guy on a door knob. Now he's become more of a central piece of flair for my party.

IMG_3542.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another 3D Haunted portrait. Wanted to make Jack the Ripper. I used a frame but in this one, he's ghostly--actually coming out of the wall. One large frame. One hanging head. Pick up the Grandinroad creepy hands with lanterns (currently 30% off sale) https://www.grandinroad.com/creepy-h...5506?&&prank=1 - I took the back off the frame and used a staple gun to secure the hanging head. Make sure you have enough length so the head sits straight when against a wall.

IMG_3733.jpg

Found a Victorian style curtain at Goodwill and pinned to wall. Had a dickey (partial shirt and tie) to hide his neck. Use any material for that. I secured the hands to the wall. The I got black material which I shredded and draped around the hands and head. I used push pins to make it look more like an outer coat. I also used push pins to make it appear he has shoulders. The positioning helps create the illusion that the arms are where they should be in relation to his body.

He has glowing eyes. I'm hoping to secure a knife in one of the hands by party time.

IMG_3734 2.jpg IMG_3736.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DisembodiedVoice, you might find it on eBay. I went to a garage sale that was the contents of some guy's Halloween store that went out of business. All the props looked like they were from the late '90s, early 2000's. It was life size.

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this. I love the Ripper frame. What head did you use, don't think I've seen him before ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts