Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a good one !! the 31 of october falls on a saterday this year !! But as far as i kan remember Halloween where i comme from has always been on the end of a school day !! like last year was fine on a friday !! but this year im woundering wat day !! friday or saterday !! i would like both !! :)) hummmmmmmmmmm ????????????

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I've never known it moved at all...:confused: is that just a local thing??
Halloween is October 31st Regardless of what day of the week it falls on..
Same way as Christmas is always December 25th.

But hey..Halloween's too good for just one day. Having it over an entire weekend is just fine by me!:D:D

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yeah our town has Trick-or-Treat on the 30th if the 31st falls on a Sunday. don't really understand why!?
I assume it's to appease those of certain religions who would find our celebrations distasteful on their sabbath..

·
Registered
152 Posts
It became a big issue here in Lexington ky area a few years ago. If I remember correctly they moved it from a Sunday for religious reasons, then one year some group that celebrated the Sabbath on saturday complained then University of Kentucky got involved because they had a ball game schedueled for the night they wanted to move trick or treat to. Finally decree came down Halloween/Trick or Treat is Oct 31st no matter what.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
It became a big issue here in Lexington ky area a few years ago. If I remember correctly they moved it from a Sunday for religious reasons, then one year some group that celebrated the Sabbath on saturday complained then University of Kentucky got involved because they had a ball game schedueled for the night they wanted to move trick or treat to. Finally decree came down Halloween/Trick or Treat is Oct 31st no matter what.
And quite rightly so.
As halloween is essentially a pagan festival, those devout followers of other religious denominations probably do not participate in it's festivities anyway.
They're the ones behind closed curtains with a "No Trick or Treat"" sign on the door.

Christmas day would not be moved because it fell on the Jewish sabbath of Saturday, or the Muslim holy day of Friday.

Whilst I advocate respect and tolerance for all creeds and beliefs, I feel that to treat the ancient festival of Halloween as something trivial, that can simply be brushed aside or altered to avoid upsetting certain peoples sensibilities is quite simply, wrong.

*falls off soapbox*

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
And quite rightly so.
As halloween is essentially a pagan festival, those devout followers of other religious denominations probably do not participate in it's festivities anyway.
They're the ones behind closed curtains with a "No Trick or Treat"" sign on the door.

Christmas day would not be moved because it fell on the Jewish sabbath of Saturday, or the Muslim holy day of Friday.

Whilst I advocate respect and tolerance for all creeds and beliefs, I feel that to treat the ancient festival of Halloween as something trivial, that can simply be brushed aside or altered to avoid upsetting certain peoples sensibilities is quite simply, wrong.

*falls off soapbox*
But if you leave it on a Sunday, you don't get many ToTs. I'd rather have the ToTs. Heck, I'm get off work today because the 4th of July is on a Saturday, so I can't really complain about slipping Halloween a day....especially to get more ToTs.

Of course, they don't celebrate the 4th of July inEngland like we do here :D

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Read last years threads on the big day and you'll see nearly everyone was disappointed on the low turnout,especially for a friday. I am almost afraid it will be just as bad this year. I kind of like the idea of a town picking the day...that gives me a chance to do our house and then a friends in another town..providing they don't ALL go that way!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
But if you leave it on a Sunday, you don't get many ToTs. I'd rather have the ToTs. Heck, I'm get off work today because the 4th of July is on a Saturday, so I can't really complain about slipping Halloween a day....especially to get more ToTs.

Of course, they don't celebrate the 4th of July inEngland like we do here :D
I suppose if you look at it that way, (As in more TOT's) then I can see how it could work to our advantage as haunters, after all Halloween for most of us is about having fun.:)
It's just the principle behind moving it that I don't agree with.

Read last years threads on the big day and you'll see nearly everyone was disappointed on the low turnout,especially for a friday.
Deadna.

That was strange..I was anticipating a big turnout last year, being a Friday and with the weather being so kind to us for the time of year, But my numbers were significantly down. Haven't been able to work out why, but it seems it was a general thing and not just here in the UK.

Speaking of the UK..We don't celebrate the 4th of July at all.
We see no reason to celebrate the fact that you kicked us out before we could teach you to play football properly...
;):D:D

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
We see no reason to celebrate the fact that you kicked us out before we could teach you to play football properly...
;):D:D
UK has football??!!!:eek: Here I thought that all you guys did was ride horses and hit balls with hammers and watch Harry Potter all day!!!:D...Too bad you guys don't celebrate the 4th...You miss out on barbeque,games and later when it get's dark, watching your favorite uncle/inlaw/cousin/etc... try not to blow himself up after much drinking throughout the day....ZR

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Ah! We get our chance to do stupid things with high explosives on November 5th.
:D

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
That was strange..I was anticipating a big turnout last year, being a Friday and with the weather being so kind to us for the time of year, But my numbers were significantly down. Haven't been able to work out why, but it seems it was a general thing and not just here in the UK.
Sorry for taking your ToT'ers.....:p

I will tell them to head back....

Ah! We get our chance to do stupid things with high explosives on November 5th.
Ah yes.....
The time of year where i am allowed into the schools chemical store and get several ingredients for a rather large explosion!!
No Joke Either!:D

Ruggerz

·
Registered
21 Posts
My neighborhood had all but stopped ToTing many years ago. A mall in the area started a Halloween thing and most parents took their kids there. When I started working at a local park we moved everything including the haunt there and it is the most popular time at the park. We set up in the campground for two weeks. Doing activities during the day and hauntings at night.

This has worked out really well and we get a ton of people. Even the people camping now set up their own stuff so it's like a really huge block of Halloween yard haunts.

If anyone likes to set up and your neighborhood has seen a drop in ToT's, I'd recommend talking to a person in charge at your local park. More than likely they would love to have people do something like a haunt as it brings in a ton of people.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I couldnt care less what anybody says about halloween, it is on the 31ST PERIOD! I will always celebrate it on the 31st even if i am the only one left on this planet who does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts