Halloween Forum banner

31 Days of Halloween -- October Movie Marathon

14K views 135 replies 45 participants last post by  Paul Melniczek 
#1 ·
All right, here's the promised thread. Feel free to jump on board and post your selections. I know people have been posting some current viewings. This is a planned event to get your TV spook on for the entire month of October! I watch a lot of annual repeats, but it's always fun to make up the list and see how many I can watch.

#2 ·
1. Ghost Rider (My 8 year olds family movie night)
2. Halloween (John Carpenter)
3. Trick r Treat (Sam)
4. The Hollow
5. Fright Night
6. The Raven (Vincent Price)
7. Hocus Pocus
8. Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
9. The Ghost and Mr Chicken
10. Sleepy Hollow (Disney)
11. Graveyard Shift
12. Pet Cemetery
13. The Dead Zone
14. Silver Bullet.
15. Snow White (My 10 yr olds family movie night)
16. The Wolfman
17. Dracula
18. Frankenstein
19. Monster House
20. The Halloween Tree
21. Sleepy Hollow
22. Hubbys Choice
23. Tower of Terror
24. Nightmare Before Christmas
25. Friday the 13th part 1
26. Night of the Demons
27. Garfield Halloween Special
28. House On Haunted Hill (Vincent Price)
29. Hubbys Choice
30. Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
31. The Worst Witch

#4 ·
I'm actually in need of some help...I'm still trying to track down a copy of the original Halloween, Halloween 3 and 4 and Nightmare Before Christmas. The original Halloween is the major one I need...since I have Halloween II already and 3/4 would just be nice...but aren't needed. Also NBC isn't really in my eyes a "Halloween" movie so it would just be a bonus. But I've tried to find the original Halloween on DVD for years! No one sells it or at least it seems that way...and I don't want to buy it online...shipping. I should also find a copy of the original Ring.

Anyways besides that I just don't know how to order it (my list). I only have 36 horror movies...excluding my zombie movies (I've seen them so many times) and the odd "family" Halloween movie I have. So maybe you guys can help me pick? I mainly want to watch ones I haven't seen before...so I'll mark the ones I've seen.

Here's my horror movies:

The Blair Witch Project
Trick or Treat
American Psycho - Seen
Army of Darkness
Bloodrayne - Seen
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Seen
Cabin Fever - Seen but LOVED it
Christine - Seen
Friday the 13th 1-4 - Seen the first
Friday the 13th Killer Cut
Halloween (Rob Zombie) - Seen
Halloween II (Rob) - Seen
Halloween 2 - Seen
Halloween: H20 - Seen
Hellraiser
House of 1000 Corpses
It - Seen
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4
Planet Terror
Psycho - Seen
Psycho (1998) - Seen
Rosemary's Baby - Seen
Silent Hill - Seen
Rose Red - Seen but it was years ago
Suicide Club
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Seen
The Evil Dead
The Grudge
The Ring Two
The Shining - Seen a million times but love it!
The Skeleton Key - Seen
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original I think?)
The Village
The Wicker Man
Trick r Treat

Family:

Halloweentown 1/2 - Seen but years ago
Hocus Pocus - Seen but years ago

Zombies:

Night of The Living Dead - Seen
28 Days/Weeks Later - Seen
Carriers - Seen years ago
Dawn of The Dead - Seen
Day of The Dead (2008 bad remake) - Seen
Land of The Dead - Seen
Night of The Living Dead (remake) - Seen
Resident Evil - Seen
Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Seen
Resident Evil: Degeneration
Resident Evil: Extinction - Seen
Shaun of The Dead - Half seen (didn't finish it)
World War Z - Seen
Zombieland - Seen

#5 ·
Keep checking this thread. You'll find some great selections. If you have AMC or IFC, both channels air the Halloween movies, the former as part of their annual Monsterfest (Fearfest it's now called) marathon in October.

#6 ·
So, admittedly my list will not be for everyone. I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed horror movie connoisseur. I've watched several hundreds of horror movies. I sway towards the newer, yet not tremendously bloody movies. I'm not a big fan of excessive gore. It's just not my thing. I'd prefer a creepy, heady kind of horror/thriller than a "chop everyone up in hundreds of pieces" kind of a movie with blood splattering everywhere.

With that said I've got a little of everything in this list and am purposely leaving some "obvious" movies off, like The Shining. The Shining is a favorite of so many people, but I just never really cared for it. I never found it scary in the least, not even for it's time. I understand I'm in a small minority there, but anyway, here's my list starting slowly and culminating with some of my very favorites. There will be some in this list that some of you don't like, but these are my favorites so tough... :p

1 Bram Stroker's Dracula
2 The Others
3 It Follows
4 The Ring
5 The Secret of Crickley Hall
6 The Purge
7 Rose Red
8 The Babadook
9 White Noise
10 Poltergeist
11 Poltergeist II
12 Signs
13 Amusement
14 It
15 The Wolfman (2010)
16 The Vanishing
17 Shutter Island
18 Zombieland
19 Cube (1997)
20 Halloween (2007)
21 The Descent
22 Midnight Movie
23 1408
24 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
25 Insidious
26 Insidious 2
27 The Blair Witch Project (1999)
28 The Conjuring
29 House on Haunted Hill (1999)
30 Trick 'r Treat
31 Halloween (1878)

#7 ·
Here's my list in no particular order: (I probably won't be able to see them all)

1. Dracula (Lugosi)
2. Frankenstein (Karloff)
3. Bride of Frankenstein (Karloff)
4. Son of Frankenstein (Karloff)
5. The Wolf Man (Chaney)
6. The Mummy (Karloff)
7. Creature from the Black Lagoon
8. White Zombie (Lugosi)
9. The Black Cat (Lugosi and Karloff)
10. Murders in the Rue Morgue (Lugosi)
11. Island of Lost Souls (Lugosi)
12. Plan 9 from Outer Space
13. Ed Wood
14. Psycho (Perkins and Leigh)
15. City of the Dead (Christopher Lee)
16. Night of the Living Dead (original)
17. Dawn of the Dead (original)
18. Zombie (Fulci)
19. The Exorcist
20. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
21. Halloween (John Carpenter, Jamie Lee Curtis)
22. Friday the 13
23. The Shining (Kubrick)
24. The Thing (John Carpenter)
25. From Beyond
26. Evil Dead 2
27. Horror of Dracula
28. Return of the Vampire (Lugosi)
29. The Haunted Palace (Price)
30. The Body Snatcher (Karloff)
31. Trick R Treat
32. Sleepy Hollow
33. House (1977)
34. The Mummy (Hammer)
35. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (Disney)
36. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (Lugosi, Strange, Chaney)
37. Young Frankenstein

#9 ·
@batgirly, +1! This time of year I also lean toward the Universal Monsters. The old Horror and Camp is Halloween for me. I can watch a horror movie whenever, I like to make October special.

Reactions: batgirly
#10 ·
Ok. Got my list together. Might be a few changes here and there but I like the line up :D list is from the 1st to the 31st.

1. Haunted Mansion
2. Dawn of the dead (remake)
3. Scream
4. The crazies
5. House of wax
6. Stay alive
7.World War Z
8. ParaNorman
9. Hotel Transylvania I/II
10. Ghostbusters (original)
11. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
12. Harry Potter Goblet of fire
13. The fog
14. The craft
15. Beatlejuice
16. Zombiland
17. They Live
18. Freddy vs Jason
19. Van Helsing
20. Darkness Falls
21. 28 days later
22. Monsters vs Aliens
23. Nightmare on Elm st 1 or 3
24. Dylan Dog
25. The Covenant
26. Legion
27. Sleepy Hallow
28. Hocus Pocus
29. Halloween III
30. Halloween specials (TV and Shorts)
31. Trick r Treat

#14 ·
Check your TV listings for a channel called Comet TV.

http://www.comettv.com/

They run all sorts of cool stuff from sci-fi to horror. They're currently running lots of kaiju flicks right now. Watched Godzilla vs. Mothra last nite.

They also run the original MST3K on Sunday nites!

On my cable system it's one of the HD channels but you can get it through an antenna. Now, they're not running first run movies, but fun cheesy sci-fi & horror, like Troll & Troll 2!!

#15 ·
For all the classic horror movie buffs, TCM has acquired some really great stuff for October this year--a lot of the classic Universal monster movies and Hammer films. No doubt Husband and I will tune in to that...

In the meantime, here are some Blu-Rays the husband bought recently. I'm really curious to watch CARNIVAL OF SOULS as I've not see it, but I promised DH and myself I wouldn't indulge until I finished the comics project I have on my drawing board (which I can't wait to plug soon as it's also horror-related!).

Collage Art Poster Collection Font

#16 ·
I spent the last week of September setting the mood for October with:

Sleepy Hollow (DVD)
I've watched this many times and I'm still in love with the atmosphere. The score is a big part of the appeal for me (even in its overly bombastic moments) as is the desaturation of forests, houses, and costumes. When blood sprays, its satisfyingly garish against the graytones. It reminds me of the Hammer, AIP, and Bava horror films from way back - most notably in the zoom in on eyes staring out of an Iron Maiden (a la Pit & The Pendulum). Some fun macabre humor and one of my favorite Depp performances makes this a go-to movie for me every autumn.

Lady In White (DVD)
Firstly, what I love about this movie. The Autumnal feel is wonderful. The classroom scenes are some of my favorites with the lit Jack-o-lanterns on each desk, the reactions to the scary story being told (one kid's bunny ear slowly droops in dread), and the dark cloakroom with the fanlight window that overlooks... a graveyard? Strange, but cool! A couple of moments have haunted me for years; the slow reveal of the figure outside of the sleeping boy's bedroom window and the same figure's descent down the stairs in an abandoned cottage. Shudderific! The dramatic sequence of the boy locked in the cloakroom dreaming of his dead mother, waking up crying, then witnessing a spectral apparition is so memorable. And the shocking murder of a man in front of his wife was well played. It's apparent this was a labor of love from the writer/director/producer. That said, I don't watch this one as often as I used to and, having seen it the other day, the reasons are clearer to me.
The tone shifts are frequent and jarring. The accumulated weight of tragedy throughout the story is pretty heavy, so lighthearted or humorous moments often come across as just odd. This is compounded by a score that sounds sometimes inappropriate, forced, or overly sentimental. So, for me, this is a once-every-few-years thing.

Extraordinary Tales (NETFLIX)
A collection of animated shorts based on Poe stories. Not all of the animation styles are to my taste but it's nice to have this on in the background. Listening to Poe's words is quite a moodsetter.

The Ninth Gate (DVD)
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this movie, but I liked it enough that I rewatched it several times, enjoying it more each time. I like this guy's video review.

A movie I want to watch again soon is What We Do In The Shadows (AMAZON). I rented this a while back and got a real kick out of it. Several vampires cohabiting mockumentary style. I need to own it. Trailer

Reactions: NikkiL
#17 ·
SLEEPY HOLLOW is one of my favorite movies, no matter the time of year or genre. We saw it in the movie theater when it came out. The atmosphere is excellent, and I consider it Johnny Depp's best film, and along with THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, Tim Burton's finest effort as well. It's a timeless classic with a talented cast and unique spin on the original, maintaining just the right balance of faithfulness to Washington Irving while adding dimension to the characters, and mixing in a splash of dark humor.

#18 ·
1. Halloween (1978)
2. Night of the Demons (1988)
3. The Blair Witch Project
4. Trick R Treat
5. Night of the Demons (2009)
6. Tales of Halloween (2015)
7. Night of The Living Dead (1968)
8. 13 Ghosts (1960) - Make sure you have a ghost viewer!
9. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
10. Any Unviersal Monster movie
11. Satan's Little Helper
12. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
13. Sleepy Hollow
14. Hocus Pocus
15. The Worst Witch (1986)

#19 ·
Halloween October Movie List 2016

Saturday October 1 – The Crawling Eye
Sunday October 2 – Blair Witch
Monday October 3 – Slime People
Tuesday October 4 – Legend of Hell House
Wednesday October 5 – Carnival of Souls
Thursday October 6 – Godzilla (original)
Friday October 7 – Phantasm
Saturday October 8 – The Wolfman
Sunday October 9 – Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
Monday October 10 – Headless Horseman
Tuesday October 11 – The Hollow
Wednesday October 12 – Mark of the Vampire
Thursday October 13 – Equinox
Friday October 14 – Land That Time Forgot
Saturday October 15 – Tarantula
Sunday October 16 – Sleepy Hollow
Monday October 17 – House on Haunted Hill
Tuesday October 18 – The Haunting
Wednesday October 19 – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Walt Disney), Donald’s Scary Tales
Thursday October 20 – Willow Creek, Abominable Snowman
Friday October 21 – Young Frankenstein
Saturday October 22 – Dracula
Sunday October 23 – Alien
Monday October 24 – Curse of the Demon
Tuesday October 25 – Pumpkinhead
Wednesday October 26 – It Came From Beneath the Sea
Thursday October 27 – The Gorgon
Friday October 28 – Night of the Living Dead
Saturday October 29 – Trick r Treat
Sunday October 30 – Disney’s Halloween Treat

HALLOWEEN – TCM Classics, Halloween

#20 ·
I'm enjoying this thread and think it's a great reference for some of the titles I haven't heard of or seen yet. I'll have to create my own list and jump in. Thanks for the great ideas. And I love that October starts on Saturday this year. Nice way to kick off the scary movie season. :)

#21 ·
I don't have a list yet but I've told myself I want to watch ( at least half the month) movies I haven't seen before. I haven't seen several of the new movies that have come out which I'm sure suck because no one can make a good horror movie anymore but I have a hard time rewatching movies I've already seen.
I can't do Halloween, Friday the 13th, Freddie, Trick R Treat, I have seen them to death.
I guess I am going to try :

Conjuring 2
The Darkness
Pride and Prejudice and zombies ( not horror but zombies so it counts for my list)
Clown ( maybe, I hate clowns but I might try it)
The other side of the door
The Boy
The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Paranormal Activity Ghost Dimension

Does anyone have any suggestions that are sort of new? I'm looking up some of the less mainstream ones I've seen on peoples lists
What about Netflix ? does anyone have any suggestions that are on there I do like more supernatural scary than a human person doing a bunch of killing and i hate the Hostel, Saw type things.

#22 ·
I hate ordering the list myself but since I couldn't get any help...

1. Halloweentown
2. Halloweentown 2
3. Hocus Pocus
4. Ghostbusters
5. Ghostbusters 2
6. Rocky Horror Picture Show
7. It
8. The Shining
9. Rose Red
10. Christine
11. Army of Darkness
12. Evil Dead
13. Friday the 13th
14. Friday the 13th 2
15. Friday the 13th 3
16. Friday the 13th 4
17. Nightmare on Elm Street
18. Nightmare on Elm Street 2
19. Nightmare on Elm Street 3
20. Nightmare on Elm Street 4
21. Suicide Club
22. The Grudge
23. The Ring 2
24. The Village
25. Hellraiser
26. Cabin Fever
27. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
28. Halloween II
29. Halloween 4
30. Halloween 5
31. Halloween (I'm going to get this one way or another...even if I have to watch it on TV -_-)

#25 ·
I started back in September, but here's what me and the wife have watched so far:

Psycho I-IV
Chopping Mall
The Mephisto Waltz
Dead Alive
Hellraiser III
10 Cloverfield Lane

And at the theater, we went to see Don't Breathe and Blair Witch. We're going to go see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children this week.

Beyond that I'll try to work in my usual favorites, like Poltergeist, The Shining, Halloween 1-3, The Thing, The Lost Boys, etc. I'm also going to try to get through all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies and possibly all of the Friday the 13th movies as well, in addition to some others that we've never seen.

disembodiedvoice, have you seen Jacob's Ladder? It's not new, but it might be something you'd like.

#31 ·
Curious to know what you thought about 10 Cloverfield Lane , Blair Witch and Don't Breath ? I'm interested in all three of these.
I took my daughter to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night and we liked it, slow in some parts but not too bad, overall it was a pleasant surprise.
I'm going to look up Jacob's Ladder, it sound familiar but I'm drawing a blank on it, will definitely check it out.

#26 ·
I'm a huge rob zombie fan! I love anything remotely related to Halloween too! Heck at night I'll watch re runs of Goosebumps on Netflix haha! I love Tales from the crypt!

1. 31
2. Halloween (RZ)
3. Halloween 2 (RZ)
4. Devils Rejects
5. House of 1000 Corpses
6. Lords of Salem
7. Texas Chainsaw Masacare (ALL)
8. Poltergeist (ALL)
9. Blair Witch (2016)
10. The Possession

That's all I can think of at the moment ladies and germs!

#28 ·
Halloween (Carpenters)
Trick R Treat
Tales of Halloween
Sleepy Hollow
Nightmare Before Christmas
Hocus Pocus ... how have I not watched this yet this year....
The Witch
Psycho (original)
Child's Play

#42 ·
I'm avoiding my list I think. I feel like I'm probably trying to save them until closer to Halloween but then it'll end up sneaking up on me.

So far I've watched Psycho and Tales of Halloween from my list but I've watched a bunch of others, lol.

#34 ·
I'm a bit more bolder I guess, trying to get one in for each of the 31 days, which has never happened. How is anyone else doing? I've watched 3 out of my 6 so far, so I'm all ready behind. Been very busy with work and stuff lately, but tonight isn't over yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.