Halloween Forum banner

Describe your stae of readiness

• I've got this. No sweat

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I'm not ready but will be

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I'm really scrambling to get everything done on time!

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I'm hosed!

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who's ready and who's not?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're on target but have a decent amount of things to do yet. The last week will be a marathon of early mornings and late nights but it'll all come together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Half way, but I save the really fun stuff for last!
Me too- have the large spiders overtaking the side of the house and the tombstones, etc ready in front yard- save strobes, fog machines and 4 Atmosfearfx dvd's and projectors until a few days before hand.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I didn't make any big plans for this year so all I have to do to be ready is set out a few more decorations and make two paper mache pumpkins for my little girl. :) Of course, I'm already making plans for next year and it will be interesting to see how prepared I am a year from now. :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've been sick since the end of September and am no where near ready. The outside is mostly done but the inside is really just a big mess at this point, half empty bins are everywhere and nothing is in its ultimate spot. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm way behind over past years. Nearly a week and a half of non stop rain, coupled with coming down with the flu really slowed my progress.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Stumblin', mumblin', grumblin' and fumblin'...but I think I'm on track to get most of what I want done, done.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I think that we're making a few changes to my original plan. I'd still like to build a cemetery fence, but I haven't had a chance to get the wood for it yet. All I have at the moment is PVC, Liquid Nails, and spray paint!

I really didn't want to put the cemetery up before the fence, but I may have to. Speaking of the cemetery, I bought brackets and stakes to help keep my stones from blowing away, but the brackets have to be glued to the backs of the stones (another Liquid Nails project), and then I have to cut stakes to slide into the brackets.

I think I got last-minute vetoed on the tunnel and mantle/fireplace ideas. It's a shame, because I really, really wanted to make a parlor walk-through, and utilize the wheelchair ramp, too. He would rather we got out the old beat up "spare chair", set up a dummy in it, and park it (with brakes engaged) on the ramp, to keep people from walking up it; and then have something at the top, to keep them from going down it, too.

I also haven't decided on whether or not I am making window silhouettes, even though I really like the idea. I've just had such a hard time finding lights bright enough to show anything off, and I don't want to use the room lights.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I have candy, so I am ready.

Decoration wise, I put the rebar for my pentagram in and slid some scarecrows over it so that if someone walked through the yard they would get impaled and I have moved piles closer to where they need to be. The next two days are critical in determining how much will get setup this year

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just ran into so many snags and nothing is turning out as I had hoped. I just went out tonight and bought some stuff to help me fix my errors. Hopefully this weekend I'll have everything up, barring any other stupid mistakes.

Update: I think I'm ready to throw in the towel. I purchased the wrong spotlights and the store to return them at is about three hours away.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Themyst, maybe take a short break? I find that helps when my projects are getting away from me.

As for my plans, I'm glad I decided a little earlier to scale back my plans. So I have stuff to get done, but nothing that will ruin anything. Have to get some stuff ready for a party next week, at which point I should have up any important things. After that, whatever I get done is basically me getting a head start on next year.

i'm finding my biggest issue is lighting. No outlets outdoors, and the outlets indoors keep failing. (And no hope the landlords will get it fixed before the party.) I have tried out various solar lights, but alas, it appears we have too little sun to make it worthwhile, and the rain does a number on them. I'm thinking of investing heavily in battery operated lights next year, or something.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Me either, DeadED.
I always plan bigger than is humanly possible (particularly when I can't count on any help) so I have an A list of what must be done, a B list of what I'd like to get done, and a C list of what I'd have done if I only had staff. I'll get the A list done, and some of the B list. That's the best I can ever realistically hope for. And for all that, I know it would be impressive to my guests even if I didn't finish the A list. Overall, their perspective is less demanding, which is nice from mine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well with all the rain we have had in the south east lately I don't have the first decoration outside..... but I shouldn't complain, we were in a bad drought before the rain. I am usually all decorated outside the 1st of OCT! Then I hit a case of the bums that I usually go through at some point every year about how much we all put into our haunts and how often it is way under appreciated. Just have to remember it's done for us, we love it! So I am back on track and in much better spirits to race to the finish line. I am currently taking a break from the cloud of metalic vinegar cloud I have been in while spraying my garage shack. I did get all the walls done for that. Now I just have to finish spraying them all down and then the fun part! Decorating it!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well with all the rain we have had in the south east lately I don't have the first decoration outside..... but I shouldn't complain, we were in a bad drought before the rain. I am usually all decorated outside the 1st of OCT! Then I hit a case of the bums that I usually go through at some point every year about how much we all put into our haunts and how often it is way under appreciated. Just have to remember it's done for us, we love it! So I am back on track and in much better spirits to race to the finish line. I am currently taking a break from the cloud of metalic vinegar cloud I have been in while spraying my garage shack. I did get all the walls done for that. Now I just have to finish spraying them all down and then the fun part! Decorating it!
I inevitably hit a point where I think Halloween prep is ridiculous, and what in the world am I doing?! But that always passes. I get the same thing whenever I do a big art project, so that just seems to be part of the creative process.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We put out most of the outdoor decor up today, mostly just spider webs, tombstones etc. We wait to put props and do lighting until the weekend of because we don't want them to be stolen. We live in a great neighborhood, but close to a main road so it is worrisome (for me at least, the BF wants to put it all out asap!). We live in an old Victorian on a hill and it is very visible from the street. We don't get many real thefts around here, mostly kids messing around in unlocked cars, but I still don't feel comfortable putting it all out there. We will do a dry run with lighting and props the weekend before and put it all out on Halloween. We had to scratch plans for a cemetery fence (bummer) and couldn't spring for the big expensive fog machine we have had our eyes on, but I have to remind myself that no one else decorates so we will still be the best house in the neighborhood! lol. Plus being up on a hill in windy October kind of makes justification of a pricey fog machine tough, most of the fog will probably wind up next store.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts