Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished this one up today and will work on the next one tomorrow. I'm realy going to like the next one:D:D

Let me know what you think good or bad. Thanks.

·
likes candy & razorblades
1,085 Posts
very cool!

you ask for honest and here goes me being honest
is that a stick the standing fairy is holding? thats really cool! i think if he was looking up at what has ruined his day, it would add a neat perspective. I love this scene as much as the other ones. i want to live in a world where there are little skelly fairies :) Oh! make a little Bertha fairy ;) !!

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
I love this one too!!!!!

You'd better get a copyright or whatever and find a distributer! These are just the kind of thing people will go nuts over!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I love fairys..just the undead ones..he..he.

The next scene that I am going to do I think will be my favorite and last one that I post.
I don't want to keep bothering everyone with these but I do appreciate the nice comments that everyone has given.

He is holding a stick. I think I might reposition the head to look up more. I thought of that earlier but thought he should be looking at what he was about to stab. But looking up might be better thanks.

I would not even know how or what to charge for these.

Shipping would be an issue...I guess I could sell them with some assembly required parts needing to be put together.

What do you all think would be a good price to sell these at. I know time and labor and material cost..blah, blah, blah but what would you pay for one? Because I have no idea.

·
Registered
591 Posts
U had stated earlier that you used a 10 dollar skeleton from walmart. Is that a "blucky"type?if so what did you do to age it? I have a couple and want to get rid of that cheap plastic look.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it was a 20" or so hard plastic..no the blow mold bluckies. The small fairies are the small ones on the skeleton garland from the dollar tree.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
VW - all of these have been outstanding...I seriously doubt anyone would consider themselves "bothered" by what you're posting - they're brilliant pieces of art!!

I'm guessing you're considering eBay if you want to try selling them?
If you're uncertain what to ask, perhaps taking the cost of the materials at a minimum (I would think full retail value is a good basis there), and adding at least some kind of buffer on that...and don't forget the cost of shipping!

How does one put a price on art?
Especially if the artist does it simply for the love of doing it?
I've given away some things that people tell me, "You should sell that! You could make good money!" - I have a hard time asking for money for anything I've made simply because I felt the desire to create it. I'm wondering if you'll have the same problem.
If you do? Suck it up, and ask for some decent dough for these!!
They are fantastic!! You deserve it!!

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Hey, a good way to find out a price for these is to list your first one on eBay and just see how it goes. You can start bidding at a price that would cover your costs to build it. In regards to how much for shipping, I would sell the smallest one first so the shipping wouldn't scare people away. Hopefully, you'd put up the skellie fairy in the jar up for bidding first. Then only tell me it's listed, no one else.....because I'd really like to have it! :)

Another option, if you don't want to mess with eBay and shipping is contact local art galleries. They sell local artists all the time and charge commissions. It can be up to half but you would still make out pretty good, that's why they are always so expensive.

Ooh, ooh...another idea. Enter a local art fair. You pay for a tent and you are good to go, though, you will need a decent supply of them.

Any of these options would give you a sense of how it would sell. But, in my opinion....you would be a success. These are exactly what the art world looks for. I would, in all seriousness, love to purchase the skellie fairy in the jar.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
VW--Pricing art is not quite like pricing other stuff. Beyond materials and time and overhead there is the simple 'coolness' factor. Glass artist Milon Townsend makes the point in lectures on selling and marketing artwork [and in all of his books on the topic] that your creativity is worth something. I price my production jewelry at materials+overhead+studio rate [my time] and multiply by 3. Signature or custom work gets the 'cool' surcharge [as do obnoxious customers like brides] of x5. There's a weird and counter-intuitive thing about pricing art--people have a vague idea of what they expect to pay for stuff. If your pricing is too low, they wonder what is wrong with it or if it was knocked out by prisoners, widows, and orphans in some 3rd World sweatshop.I'm jealous I didn't think of the skelly fairies first--you found something really special there. If you plan to go the art fair route, find a juried show--puts you in with a beeter class of gypsy. If you deal with a gallery you'll have to teach them how to pack your work for shipping. I dislike eBay and would suggest Etsy. It's a little more artsy and your little guys would be right at home there. Or you could just make private deals with people you know [from here or anywhere else] and use them as a source for beer or prop money.
A really **rough** estimate of a fair price without having your numbers for a calculation for this piece would be somewhere in the more than $50 but less than $100 range. I'm going on my gut and how cool I think these things are. And to keep me from getting lynched by fellow forum members you could have a special price for the people here who recognize your unique artistic vision at the beginning of your career. also consider bouncing pricing off a friend you can trust. Artists are notoriously bad at valuing our own work because we're too close to the process. PM me if you want more info on how to go about selling your work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts