Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. last year i bought all the supplies needed to make a 3 axis skull, but never got around to doing so.

The only thing i need is the AC/DC adapter to power the board.

I am using the VSA software, and would love for somebody to help me figure out how to sync the MP3 file to the jaw servos.

any and all help is appreciated.

thanks
-EE

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,037 Posts
Wish I had VSA here..... I'd step you through it. Theres not much to it...
Just load your sound file into VSA, then somewhere in VSA you tell it to analyze the wave...

It will do it automatically, THEN........ you need to go through and tweek the jaw movement.

There will be others on here that can step you through it. I cant remember the steps, but I know it was much easier that I thought it would be.

·
Registered
955 Posts
What board ?

I bought the Lynxmotion SSC32. I have it working now. I went to Frys and got a 8 battery AA box. I jumped across two battery holders to get 7.2 volts. With the new rayovac 4.0 batteries which are rechargeable as NIMH but less expensive it works great. So I think I can help if you have the Lynxmotion board. We can talk about VSA as well which I am learning as well.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wall Wart

Still did not confirm what board you have. If it is the Lynxmotion, you can get a 9 volt wall wart and connect to VL. Make sure you confirm the positive out of the wall wart. Another thing to consider is how manyh servo's you are driving. Wall wart are not known for amp output, so you may want to consider powering the servos separate.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
IF using the Lynxmotion SSC32, then you need a separate 9V DC supply for the board itself, then you need ANOTHER DC power source for the servos. I have a wallwart for the board, and a computer 5V power supply for the servos. A 9V battery will work fine the Board power in fact the SCC32 comes with a 9V battery clip.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
IF using the Lynxmotion SSC32, then you need a separate 9V DC supply for the board itself, then you need ANOTHER DC power source for the servos. I have a wallwart for the board, and a computer 5V power supply for the servos. A 9V battery will work fine the Board power in fact the SCC32 comes with a 9V battery clip.
not true, Doc.
By putting 9VDC in the VL (voltage logic), it powers the board at 9v, and then converts to 6v for the servos. At least, that's what HalloweenBob told me, and it's been working without a hitch.

G

·
0 Posts
I always use separate power sources for the boards (BS2, PROPn, servo controller, motor controller) and offboard devices (servos, motors, lights). It just makes everything more reliable when the boards are not sharing the same power. If the offboard devices pull more amps than your power source provides it can brown out your board and cause the boards to reset or act unpredictable or on some boards to loose thier ROM memory (ie Pico Pic).

A good rule of thumb for servo power is 1 amp per servo. With the possiblie 32 servos on a SSC32 you can quickly exceed the amp output of most wall warts....hence the separtate power for the board.

·
Registered
955 Posts
7.2 to vs1

This is the option I took. Since I have a bunch if 6 cell packs for my offroad cars, I went for the power to VS1. The jumpers all stay in place as the board comes set. VS1 will provide power to VL logic and VS2 the 16 thry 31 servo output. No 9 volts here, since you would be providing 9 volts to the servos.

Here is a link which clearly explains all connection options.

Lynxmotion Support :: View topic - SSC-32 Powering Options

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is a SSC-32. mine came with nothing but the cord that plugs into the computer.

i will have two skulls. with 2 servos each. (4 servos all together)

i'll try and get some stuff worked out soon, i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot guys
-EE

·
Registered
955 Posts
Cord to computer ?

You got a serial cable with your board ? Did it not come with a 9 volt pigtail and a another small cable ? Did you purchase the serial cable as well ? You can get a longer serial cable at Frys. They are called serial extension cables. I got a 25 ft for $10.

Oh and two servos for each skull ? I take it one for the jaw and the other for rotation ?

The reason I ask this, is because you did title this thread 3 axis skull.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i plan on making then three axis later on, but want to get the basic motions done first, so i will at least have something by halloween.

no, it did not come with anything but the cable. I will look into those extension.

thanks
-eric

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys. I hate to bring up an old thread, but yes... I'm once again attempting to start on my skulls. At this point, i have thrown out the 3 axis, and I'm concentrating on jaw movement, and head pan.

If someone could post a picture of the board with its power inlet I would greatly appreciate it.

-Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts