Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A Video shot by one of the former students of the High School

This was opening night.... video is short, but it gives a little glimpse of what we have cooking.

[video=facebook;10151263267874245]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151263267874245#!/photo.php?v=10151263267874245[/video]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
20 hours of run time.... so far I have needed to replace (1) fret/neck cable and spend way too much time retightening nuts and bolts. All the motors seem to be holding up to the rigers of such a workout. so this equates to roughly 5 hours a night at 4 nights so far. Not quite half way thru the run.... Hopefully I can get the few bugs worked out prior to next weekend. Tonight we had 1324 People come thru the haunt. Not too bad for a nights work.

Here is our last review by HauntedWisconsin.com ... Its cut and pasted off their site.

Haunted High

by dubstyle_2k (Review Crew) after attending on Friday, October 12, 2012 at about 7:30 p.m.

Submitted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review

Last year Haunted High took me by complete surprise, and quickly became one of my favorite haunts. This year, they have solidified themselves as the best in the area. Only problem is, it's their "Senior Year," which unfortunately means, Haunted High will be no more after this season. These people got it right, let's take a school that is shut down, and make it into a frightful haunted house. It's everything I have ever wanted in a haunt. The setting is familiar to us all, the halls of a high school, classrooms, detention, the boiler room! Splash in freaks and creeps around every corner and you have the ultimate haunt. The actors are what really make Haunted High awesome. If you are looking for actors who play the part like they were born to spook, look no further. This haunt messes with all of your senses, and exploits their weaknesses. Beginning to end, Haunted High is a winner. Please, do yourself a favor, check it out before it's too late, because unfortunately, this is your last chance to see this phenomenal haunt. I'm begging you Haunted High, ONE MORE YEAR!!!

Signage / Visibility / Location

Haunted High can be a little hard to find if you are not familiar with the area. I probably would have driven right past it had I not been there before, and had a GPS. With that being said, it is in an old school, so how hard can it really be to find! The only signage I saw was a banner above the entrance of the school, so unless you stumbled upon this haunt by accident, it really doesn't help much.

Wait Area / Line Entertainment

Spacious and fun. Haunted High has big screens, actors, and snacks, what else do you need. Set in the gym of the school, the waiting area is big enough to hold a large group, but makes the wait entertaining. The water damaged gym floor makes for a wacky wait, and the actors roam the room spooking you all along the way. P.A. announcements in the style that of a principal addressing the student body will make you chuckle and cringe!

Actors' Performance

Top notch performers! Haunted High seems to only employ pros! These actors have mastered the art of creeping!

Sets Scenes / Props / FX

Professional! Top notch from waiting area to the awesome show at the end!

Length

Approximately 30 minutes from beginning to end.

Crowd Control

The waiting area is roped and well maintained. Staff is on hand to control the crowd.

Most Memorable Moment

Definitely the prom scene at the end!

Summary

Once again, one of the best haunts in the area! Haunted High spares no expense. If only this wasn't the last year for the haunt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
40 Hours, and blew out the same strum elbow on Lead Guitar Skelly. I now suspect that the splined hub may be stripped out.

So..... for our final night of operation I will go in early and replace the servo and servo block.
I dont need to really to as the lead guitarist looks fine just picking, ,but its pride and principal at this point.

I also develpoed a "Jitter" in the system yesterday after trying to lift a groundloop hum in the sound system and cut the grounding prong off a power strip. The Hum is less anoying than the jittering skellie heads, so I need to undo what I did yesterday.

The last night of operation of our haunt is tonight ,and I'll recap on the system sucesses and failures a bit later on.

Hope all your projects are doing well... I sort of stopped hearing from you guys so I guess you are all busy getting ready for the big night.

Take care and good haunting...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thank you..Compliments from ones peers mean a lot.

I'll be uploading Vids this weekend.

BTW I found the source of my "Jitters"in the system
. Worth noting.... My system as a whole was not completely grounded. I had removed a grounding plug from one of the power strips trying to quiet a hum by lifting a ground... not only did it not help the hum... but it caused something goofy in the system and caused some of the servos to begin to "Jitter". replacing the power strips with ones with ground plugs fixed that problem. Plugging some lighting into a new power circut ( different wall plug ) took care of the hum.
congrats on the amazing review!!!

all of that hard work has paid off, big time

this is something that you and your people should be extremely proud of

amk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Absolutely awesome Sadler! What a great concept - a haunted high school dance. The guitar work was spot-on. Yes, lots of hard work and you can be proud of it, for sure. Thanks for sharing with us all. Wasn't in the cards for me this year, due to time constraints, but it is definitely on the to-do list. I hope you'll be available to help with advice.

Happy Halloween to Haunted High!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The failure in my #1 Guitarists Strum elbow was due to the Splines on the Aluminum drive hub stripping out.
Although I also replaced the Servo... I probably didnt have to. The replacment hub alone would probably have been enough for the repair.
As for a Grade on these "Servo Blocks" I'd give them an A+++. You guys considering building anything where additional strains and forces are on our servos, should at least consider using these. - FYI - BG

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So, Im feeling pretty good about the Guitar and drum designs, but we ran out of time to design and build our keyboard player drive...so anybody out there that has build one, I'd love to see it. Id like to see a few ideas from you guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
First I want to say what a great job you did, and excellent engineering on the drummer. Second thing is a suggestion for the strumming arms on the guitar players, you might be losing the splines in the servos due to the quick change in direction and the weight of the arm stressing it, now if you added a built in compliance system in the arm it might save your servos and look more natural. For a built in compliance, I would use a very hard spring between the elbow and the wrist then that would give just a little at the end of each stroke and might save the servo spline. Just a thought.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts