Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't think you will get one for this season from anyone at this point.

Most suppliers will not still be taking orders since they could not assure you that you will get it in time.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
I am not saying anything about quality on any of these products as I don’t own any of them (yet), but assuming all things are equal, I would rather buy three from here as apposed to not having enough to buy even one from Skulltronix.
It is virtually impossible to do a direct comparison of prices, as they are nothing alike, some people prefer sheer quantity, my personal taste is less=more, its like magic, the more you show the trick the less impressive it looks, you are far better off doing the trick just once and to such a high quality that leaves everyone impressed and telling their friends about it, pull off a mediocre trick too often and you become known as the guy who pulls bunnys from a hat.

Quality is indeed a major factor in the comparison, we have yet to see any 3 axis skull other than the SkullTroniX that doesn't suffer from precession, HalloweenBobs design probably comes closest, but from looking at the published vids it really depends on how well the kit is put together, some vids of skulls made this year show awful precession, whilst Bobs original vids from last year looked fairly good.

Precession is the tendency to move in a second or third axis when there is a motion in the first, you will typically see this when the skull is nodding or panning, and the resulting motion looks to be diagonal. Precession or the lack of is a feature of the design and the way the servos are placed, each of the 3 axis servos in the SkullTroniX are placed in such a way that all complementary motion is decoupled out of the system.

Weight is another of The SkullTroniX's key points, the Bucky Skull got rejected long ago becasue its as heavy as a housebrick, the more weight you have and badly distributed weight increases the skulls moment of gyration, and a fully assembled SkullTroniX skull has a lower moment of gyration than a basic Bucky skull before modification....an increased moment of gyration affects the smoothness of the motion and life of the servos.

They eyes system goes without say, a lot of people are finding that there isnt a lot of room inside a bucky to fit a axis eyes, but there are some interesting solutions emerging, and there is still the 16million colour eyelight system.

All these features required that the skulls were designed and made from scratch, which is of course where the first major cost difference comes from, there is just no way you can make a handcrafted skull in the USA for even close to the price that China throws out Bucky Skulls.

After the skull is built you then have the circuitry that drives it,over the long term the BoC is actually a cost saving device as since its inception the number of servo failures and returns, have been hugely reduced, when you factor in the cost of returning a skull for servicing and replacing a servo, the BoC pays for itself many times over.

DMX controllability is going to be an increasingly important feature, people are slowly cottoning onto the value of DMX, and some of the integrated SkullTroniX/DMX routines Mike Fox has been working on this year are extremely impressive....remember the SkullTroniX price does include the Enttec DMX device.

Routines are of course another included feature of the SkullTroniX

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
As for lower cost value,skullwerks has a nice skull with eyes for the $650. I am inclined to buy the skulltronix,even though more cost for the multi features.
With the DMX system linked-lights,the magic motion system-multi colored eyes, the skulltronix skeleton.Yes all alot more,but i like that if i have & can spend to get
to the next level 3 axis system,skulltronix is right there. If i was just staying with the 3 axis & wanted the eyes,then skullwerks is priced right.
They are two different skulls with each they're own best qualities,just pends on which one suites your needs & wallet.
As for the skulls on here,i believe RBC, on this forum,may still have kits you can buy to build.Graveyardmadness skulls ready to go,no eyes are the best deal for the $$$.
(my two cents....)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Be careful of the RBC kits. I know of several people who bought kits through that site who did not receive product. The money was taken, but the order for product was never filled.

She has been banned from this forum, and there are still ongoing problems there.

Just a heads up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Be careful of the RBC kits. I know of several people who bought kits through that site who did not receive product. The money was taken, but the order for product was never filled.

She has been banned from this forum, and there are still ongoing problems there.
Wow - an admin should remove the link to her store from her signature which is all over this site.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts

Just a heads up.
WOW,thats a little surprising........... seemed ok,RBC has been on here for awhile.....said to hear :(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Actually, I checked, and she seems to be back on the site. Apparently, the ban was temporary. It seems she has been sick, so I'm not sure what the reason was for not sending out goods, but the result to the customer was the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts