Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok starting my first 3 axis skull, but need to ask the experts before I do. I have been researching & watching countless you tubes & now I'm spinning & know better what I'm getting into but not really where to start...

1. Is it best to get the twisty kit from triaxial (whole set up w servos, Lindbergh skull, & other is $129.95, which seems kind of reasonable after pricing servos & the skull)? Or is it easier to get the pieces myself? Or is there a better website?
2. I have pose n stay skelly from spirit is that a viable option for a body?
3. Programming, is it really possible to DIY w 0 experience w any of this or can I buy a random program sequence somewhere?

I know there's a lot of posts on the forum about this but the good ones are older & I wasn't sure if they were still relevant.

I really appreciate any advice & you will get making an almost 8yo very happy ( if I can get this together)

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
I built mine from scratch years ago. Including cutting out the plexiglass and drilling tiny holes in the ends of threaded rods.
Not fun, but educational.

I built another, that I haven't yet put into my haunt from a kit. I'm not certain what kit it was, since it was at a Make-n-Take at which someone else bought the kits. It was much easier, not much more expensive, and it went together more quickly.

About halfway down this page there is a post about mounting a 3-axis on a Walmart skeleton. That should also work on a spirit skeleton.

Halstaff, from this and other forums, has designed a board called the Frankenstien, that uses a picaxe microcontroller, to provide random movement to the 3 axes and moves the jaw based on input audio. No programming required (besides some minor playing around in Audacity).

His link is here

He doesn't sell them commercially, but will occasionally have extras that he will sell.

You'll have to wait in line, though, because I asked him for one first to use with my 3-axis kit skull :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abunai- thanks for the great info. I think I may go with the kit @ least for my first one until I get a better understanding of what I'm doing. I'm a more hands on learner. That board is awesome. Hopefully you get one so I can too! I just don't know if I have enough time between now & Halloween to build & program, I have other projects to get to also.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OK I want on this wagon too.
I have very little to no understanding of the electronics. so if there could be a shopping list to follow, that would be great.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
I built mine from scratch years ago. Including cutting out the plexiglass and drilling tiny holes in the ends of threaded rods.
Not fun, but educational.

I built another, that I haven't yet put into my haunt from a kit. I'm not certain what kit it was, since it was at a Make-n-Take at which someone else bought the kits. It was much easier, not much more expensive, and it went together more quickly.

About halfway down this page there is a post about mounting a 3-axis on a Walmart skeleton. That should also work on a spirit skeleton.

Halstaff, from this and other forums, has designed a board called the Frankenstien, that uses a picaxe microcontroller, to provide random movement to the 3 axes and moves the jaw based on input audio. No programming required (besides some minor playing around in Audacity).

His link is here

He doesn't sell them commercially, but will occasionally have extras that he will sell.

You'll have to wait in line, though, because I asked him for one first to use with my 3-axis kit skull :)
Triaxialskulllabs twisty kit was what we used at the MNT last year. I have two.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
For those interested, I offer professional grade Lindberg 3-Axis Skulls with moving eyes, fully assembled with a great "Aged" Skull finish. Great range of motion and no unsightly screws. All top quality parts with genuine HITEC HS-425BB servos. These Skulls are special order and take 2 weeks for delivery.
You can see a demo video showing the range of motion here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnMmFYDUMk
You can find more info on my website: http://www.audioservocontroller.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TNBrad - I'm making a list as I get ready to order for the build, which I'd be happy to post once I have it together.

Anyone have suggestions on what kind of tester I should get? & if I'm making more than 1 skull do I need more than 1 tester? Also in the Frankenstein board video he mentions a $25 programming cable, not sure what that refers to. Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the feedback.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Thanks, Goddess: Triaxialskulllabs twisty kit. They went together very nicely.

The $25 programming cable is for programming the picaxe microcontroller on the Frankenstein board. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that he (Halstaff) had written a program to provide the random axis movement and if was able to send a board to you, it would already be loaded with the program.

I'll try and ping him to this thread.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks Abunai for mentioning my board and yes, you are on the list to get a board as soon as the new ones come in.
I make these up for my own haunt but don't sell the boards as a business. When I have extras on hand, I do make them available to fellow haunters. However, this is a "Do It Yourself" setup. I include a sourced parts list and a copy of the random head movement code I use to run my skulls. You'll need to order your own parts and solder the board up. You're welcome to use my code for your home haunt if you'd like or you can adapt it to fit your needs (the code is shared under a Creative Commons License).
I have the newest version of the board about ready to share. All the adjustments to the programming of the board such as servo limits, type of trigger and re-trigger delay will be done by following audio prompts. I'll be able to put the program on the Picaxe chip and send it out with the board if someone wants to totally go computer free. This will make the board completely stand alone and the user will never need to use a computer to either program or run the board.
We're tweaking the programming as we go but it's up and running. Here's what the new board looks like -

Frankenstein_Rebuilt.jpg

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Here is video of our 3 - axis skull. I used Halstaff's board and it worked like a champ! Thank you Halstaff for your help (sorry it took so long to post)!

If you notice there is no "nod", I only have "pan" left to right. I had to disconnect the nod servo because right before I set him up, his neck snapped off and when I got it back together, there was interference with that servo so I just disconnected it. I will be working on getting him back together in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am....I just received my youtube degree in soldering (thank you halstaff) & I have enlisted someone with real experience as backup!
Placing my orders for parts this coming week & then the build begins....my anxiety over this project has officially turned into excitement :D

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Halstaff,
Great job on that board, very nicely done. Disregarding the Jaw servo, can it do complex movement of 2 or more axis simultaneously or can it just move one at a time? Because it's PIC controlled, I'm guessing it's just one at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts