Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting really excited about this prop, so I thought I'd spill the beans sooner, rather than later.
I'm going to make a foam latex "skin" for one of my 3-axis skulls that is a reproduction of Jack Pierce and Boris Karloff's Frankenstein makeup.

At this stage, I'm beginning the initial sculpt in modeling clay over a Lindberg skull. Future steps involve making both a mold of the final sculpt and a duplicate of the skull in Ultracal (a type of plaster), filling the mold(s) with foam latex, baking the thing, hoping it comes out okay, and painting the final skin. If all goes well, it'll be like having Karloff the Uncanny in person!

Here's the sculpt so far. It's got a long way to go, but I've still got time at this point, and I'd say it's beginning to shape up pretty well.

Let me know what you think. I pretty much know what I need to do, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Look for updates in later posts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, just for that being roughed in, it's looking great!! I can't wait to see how it comes along, your doing a great job.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
He is coming out awesome I cant wait to see the finished product. Frankie is my all time favorite character:)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Oh thank god, I have been waiting so long to see something other then a talking skull. Way to go, can't wait to see more progress pics!

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Will this have working eyes and eyelids? If so, how will you know how the eyes will fit around the eyekit if it's not available yet? Or will the eyes be static? I like your sculpt so far, excellent start!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh sweet mystery at last I found you.......(Young frankenstein) LOL.You going to sell any "mask"copies?

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
The sculpt looks great! I thought that there was an issue with adding more weight to these 3 axis skulls. It was either throwing off the balance or burning out the servos. I could easily be mistaken, but I was wondering if you'd tested the movement yet?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will this have working eyes and eyelids? If so, how will you know how the eyes will fit around the eyekit if it's not available yet? Or will the eyes be static? I like your sculpt so far, excellent start!
I figured that since the eyelids cover half the eyes anyway, it would be hard for a TOT to notice them moving (especially at six feet away), so I figured I'd save myself sixty bucks on this guy and just go for static eyes.

The sculpt looks great! I thought that there was an issue with adding more weight to these 3 axis skulls. It was either throwing off the balance or burning out the servos. I could easily be mistaken, but I was wondering if you'd tested the movement yet?
There may very well be an issue, but I think (hope) the foam latex will be light and thin enough to not cause much of a problem. If worst comes to worst, I'll just have to upgrade the servos.

Oh sweet mystery at last I found you.......(Young frankenstein) LOL.You going to sell any "mask"copies?
I've thought about this. If I have a working mold and I can get my other projects out of the way, I'd be happy to make a few copies.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the little things on the head hair?
They're clamps or brackets or something. Check out the pictures in the link in my last post to see what it should look like. These ones are stand-ins for the real thing (though, I suppose the whole thing is a stand-in until I finalize the sculpt).

The hair will probably be faux fur styled with watered down Elmer's glue.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you deside to make a few extra masks and can sell them at a working man's price I'd be intrested in one.And one thing to me seems the lips seem just a little "flush"flat to the face.but it looks a 100 times better than anything I could do.Rock on!

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you deside to make a few extra masks and can sell them at a working man's price I'd be intrested in one.And one thing to me seems the lips seem just a little "flush"flat to the face.but it looks a 100 times better than anything I could do.Rock on!
Thanks for the tip. The lips are causing me a bit of trouble, as Karloff didn't have much of them (pic: http://www.doctormacro1.info/Images..., Boris (Boogie Man Will Get You, The)_01.jpg), yet what he did have is very unique.

I'm not sure what these would go for at this point, but if I do sell a few, I'll try to keep it reasonable.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Another update on the sculpt. I made the nose smaller and the sides of the face a little bigger. There's about 5 lbs. of clay on this right now.

I'm beginning to learn just how tricky it is to do this well.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts