Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jdubbya and I are going to do a vampire theme for the collaborative haunt this year so I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to have a crypt entrance for the patrons to walk through before going into the haunt."....If I had only known...

242 foam blocks later I started on our project. The dimensions for the crypt will be 8' wide by 9' high by 12' long. Why so big?...because I don't do half measures. lol

So here are a few pictures of the progress so far. The blocks are held together with Great Stuff and each wall is in 3 panels so it can be transported in sections and reassembled. The front façade is three pieces as well. The detail is done with a propane torch (watch the fumes!) and a heat gun. I randomly take out chunks with a claw hammer to age it a bit. Any gaps between blocks will have moss stuffed in them.

Inside the crypt will be six vampire portraits lit by carved niches in the walls to hold flickering pvc candles that jdubbya made.

I still have to build the ceiling and age the walls yet but it's coming along. Painting will be next. Figuring a flat dark gray and then dry brush a black wash to bring out the highlights. It's so damn big that I need to get as much detail as quickly as I can. Dry brushing may be done with shop towels. I'll have to experiment. If anyone has any ideas, please let me hear them!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow, that's a big project. Can't wait to see the updates on it. The TOT's are gonna flip. Great work.

Reactions: jdubbya

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
As I mentioned on the other forum, it's coming along perfectly. The texture of the blocks is spot on and I think once we get some color on them it will look just like weathered old stone. As with our past two collaborative haunts, lewlew puts an insane amount of detail into the entrance ways as well as the main rooms. The guests (more than 600) really get immersed in the theme and this will be the best yet. This will be another epic build and we'll post details of it as it comes together!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm not sure the pictures came through since they were from another forum. I have fixed that now so if you couldn't see them before they should be up now. Please let me know if they aren't

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a little more time to work on the crypt/mausoleum for our haunt entrance. My helper and I got the last of the 12 panels glued up. 240+ foam blocks and 20+ cans of Great Stuff later...

90% of the foam detailing is done. I do want to gouge out a few more cracks and roughen the edges on a few more of the stones before I start to paint.

In the twilight it almost has the color I'm going for and the detail stands out pretty well. I'm not sure I want to cover it up with paint and then try and bring it out again with a black wash. We'll see. Time is getting short I know...

Picture it with a big gargoyle on top and also two big a$$ lion plaques on either side of the door (from jdubbya) . A warped iron gate guarded by our forbidding gatekeeper.

I only have room to set up 2/3 of it and I need to get it out of here pretty soon (It's been suggested that I may have to start living in it if it stays at my house much longer).

It is almost 13 feet in length, 9 feet tall (+gargoyle height), and 8 feet wide.

Gargoyle that will be on top (from jdubbya)

Lion plaques on either side of the door (also from jdubyya)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wowwww. Impressive! I will save this for my day dreams. I can't believe the price for foam blocks. Ii got a small, flat block for $30! I will have to continue resorting to my dollar store gravestones and live vicariously through this awesome display of yours. I don't think it would fit in my shed, either. Lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
where can you find foam blocks like that? Especially in California. I will check with our tractor supply stores as well, if they have stuff like that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks great!!! That's quite an undertaking. I built 81 panels of 2"by 4ft. foam panels and carved stone texture into them a few years ago so I know the time and the mess it makes.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
wow ... impressive ... yeah, i know it's not finished, but i can see in my mind how it's going to look ... it's going 2b awesome :)

amazing 4 sure ... like always, to bad the tots won't appreciate the stupendous amount of work this all took to create ... but everyone here, knows & appreciates what it's taking u guys 2 do this

amk

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
The plan for this entrance room will be to have some niches carved out in the interior walls that will hold pvc candles. There will also be a few framed portraits and other small props to add ambience. We'll have a robed actor inside to welcome guests and explain some rules and read a brief back story before they enter the actual haunt. The first scare is immediate as they walk in and we're figuring a fair number of folks will want to turn around and exit before the end of the main hallway, which of course we won't allow MUAHAHAHA!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts