Halloween Forum banner
161 - 180 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Fairytale pumpkins are enjoying the cooler temps & rain. They are producing both male & female flowers early this spring. Most of the spring buds will drop but who knows.

Love seeing everyone's pictures & those 🐸 🐸 🐸 make my heart hop with joy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Question....does a snapped stem mean the plant is dead even if its green?
If you mean the vine split then you should be okay. The vine will callous over. If you meant the main stem snapped then that sounds like a problem that will be too much to overcome.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
My plants are down and running. It has been about a month since germination. Man, how time flies. One of the plants is in much better shape than the other. Thank goodness for planting backups. I could not imagine starting from seed at this point. I need to get my drip line down sooner than later. I expect to be pollinating in three weeks.

I guess I will start my Sunday progress reports with pics starting this weekend. I plan on doing soil tests next week for nutrient level and disease. Keeping my fingers crossed that my soil fungicide work will pay dividends.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,792 Posts
Well, I'm starting over on some of my Gourds, special Kandy Korn pumpkins (that I paid a lot for), Zucchini, and Cucumbers...half or all of what I started with these either just stopped growing after germination, or, the worst of the damage, the animals are ripping everything up or digging them up. It's been nothing but damage control every day...with plants and such, too. This is the worst year, yet, for all the digging. No matter what blockades/fencing I put up, animal deterrent sprays I use...they must be used to it all and it no longer stops them.
I'm getting ready to wave the white flag in defeat...😡😭😖

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
No matter what blockades/fencing I put up, animal deterrent sprays I use...they must be used to it all and it no longer stops them.
I'm getting ready to wave the white flag in defeat...😡😭😖
Not sure what you do once squirrels get a taste for your garden. I don't recall you having as many problems at your last home. Maybe get a cat?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Noob question, Google says pukkins require about 1 inch of water per week. How, exactly, does someone measure that? I've been watering mine every day it doesn't rain...
Well, it is 623 gallons per 1,000 sq ft. I am not sure you need that much for regular pumpkins. Most giant pumpkin growers shoot for 75-100 gallons per day. You will be fine with less. I think a better rule of thumb is to keep the soil moist to at least two inches below the surface.

Keep in mind that is the amount once you have a plant that covers a 1,000 sq ft. Right now, I am just watering 2 gallons every other day around the base of the plant.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,792 Posts
Not sure what you do once squirrels get a taste for your garden. I don't recall you having as many problems at your last home. Maybe get a cat?
Our old house had just as many animals...much more, actually, but more woodland area for all of those animals to have other food choices. Also, we built a much taller, smaller, better fenced in garden at the old house. We had issues with animals eating/digging plants, flowers and veggies there, too, but not this bad, and it seems to get worse and worse, here, each year, too...insect issues included.
Squirrels and chipmunks are just out of control in their quantities and destruction, now.
(Don't get me wrong...I love all my critters...but that doesn't mean I don't still want to grab them and shake them, begging them to have mercy on my yard, lol...sigh.)
It's the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, groundhogs, skunks, ect...depending on what part of the yard and what is being eaten or tore up. Sometimes, even certain birds.

As for cats, we have 3, but they are indoor kitties.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
That is Very helpful! Thank you. Can you drown pumpkins?
For sure you can drown them.. When I have them in one to two gallon pots, I water them with a 32 oz. cup twice a week. Everybody develops their own system. Just make sure that the bottom of the containers have holes so the water can drain if it is not absorbed by the soil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our old house had just as many animals...much more, actually, but more woodland area for all of those animals to have other food choices. Also, we built a much taller, smaller, better fenced in garden at the old house. We had issues with animals eating/digging plants, flowers and veggies there, too, but not this bad, and it seems to get worse and worse, here, each year, too...insect issues included.
Squirrels and chipmunks are just out of control in their quantities and destruction, now.
(Don't get me wrong...I love all my critters...but that doesn't mean I don't still want to grab them and shake them, begging them to have mercy on my yard, lol...sigh.)
It's the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, groundhogs, skunks, ect...depending on what part of the yard and what is being eaten or tore up. Sometimes, even certain birds.

As for cats, we have 3, but they are indoor kitties.
Not sure if building/buying some kind of mesh structure around the plants while they get going is a possibility. At our place, if I put anything out that would still be considered a seedling it inevitably gets eaten. But if I put up a barrier around the plants until they're well established, then the critters seem to leave them alone (though the bugs still go after them). I'm still totally building a greenhouse when we get a big enough yard.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I only have 4 left in pots, the rest r newly in the ground. I was moreso asking if you can drown a pumpkin plant when its in the ground
Definitely yes. I recall a Josiah Brandt video from last year where he talked about how pumpkins can't pull nutrients out of the soil if there is too much water in the ground (from rain in his case). Here it is:

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,792 Posts
Not sure if building/buying some kind of mesh structure around the plants while they get going is a possibility. At our place, if I put anything out that would still be considered a seedling it inevitably gets eaten. But if I put up a barrier around the plants until they're well established, then the critters seem to leave them alone (though the bugs still go after them). I'm still totally building a greenhouse when we get a big enough yard.
I have a mini greenhouse in my basement...I have my mother in laws seeds in pots to get started, for her, in there right now, but I had run out of soil to pot my own. So, when my seeds all started germinating in my baggies, I just direct sowed them outdoors, since it was warm enough. Bad idea, I guess, as the seeds just get dug up...this is why I need to keep starting them and getting them to good sized seedling form before planting outside...

I do put fencing directly around the trellises that the seeds are planted in, (plus around the whole garden) and use animal away sprays...but my fencing isn't small enough to block the smaller animals and I think they are used to the sprays.

Maybe mesh screening is the way to go, afterall...I just don't want to spend anymore money. The whole point of growing my own is for it to pay for itself...well, besides just liking to grow my own things, lol.

I'd love to have room for a real, outdoor, good sized greenhouse!! I girl can dream...
I hope you get one, someday!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I only have 4 left in pots, the rest r newly in the ground. I was moreso asking if you can drown a pumpkin plant when its in the ground
You never want standing water nor soggy soil for a prolonged period. I am now up to 2 gallons every 48 hours on my outdoor plant. I probably will not go over that amount since I will soon have a half dozen solid secondary roots from the vine that will need to be watered. I bet more stumps are lost to over watering versus under watering. Last night I could stick two fingers in the ground and it was still moist to about an inch of the surface. That tells me that I am okay to water tonight.

As I mentioned before, you will develop your own system. The part I love most about this hobby is that everyone develops their own unique style. You will never hear me say that someone else's system is wrong just that I do it differently. I think Brandt was getting like 3-4 inches of rain a week like a lot of people were that year. It is easy to add water if it does not rain, impossible to remove it if you get too much rain.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm gonna pull an experiment and attempt to grow a 30-60lb pukkin/s in a planter. Basically gonna find the biggest planter I can and just ad a grip of food in with the soil mixture I create. Has anyone tried this before? 🤓🧐

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,792 Posts
I'm gonna pull an experiment and attempt to grow a 30-60lb pukkin/s in a planter. Basically gonna find the biggest planter I can and just ad a grip of food in with the soil mixture I create. Has anyone tried this before? 🤓🧐
I've seen people use large Rubbermaid bins, full size trash cans, baby pools...
I have grown mini pumpkins in assorted large, actual planters, but haven't tried large pumpkins in one.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Go for it. You would still need to let the plant grow to 200-300 sq ft. with access to dirt. Not sure you can put enough water in a container for 30-60lb pumpkin which is why your vines will need to root themselves to dirt.

161 - 180 of 305 Posts