Halloween Forum banner
141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
tilled in a bunch of organic matter and amendments recommended from a Western Labs soil test and built a rickety shade structure out of PVC to keep the sun down a bit (and hopefully reduce the critters). Got three plants on each end of the patch and will winnow that down to 2-3 pretty soon.
You are talking my language. It looks like your plants are about at the same point as mine. I am jealous that you already have your drip line down. That is my goal by the end of this weekend. I purchased a drip line mixing tank last year but never installed it.

I love Western Labs. I basically know what I am short on every year, so I did not do a pre-amendment test. But, I want to do a post amendment test sometime around May 20th to see where I am at. I figure by then my plant will be running, plus my amendments will have been in the ground for three weeks which should give them a chance to mix in with the soil. Then, I will do a tissue test around June 20th in front of a set pumpkin (hopefully) to see what is actually getting to the plant.

Glad you came back. Now we just need Mayor and Ooojen to check in. :D

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Central Iowa seemed to have gotten sucker-punched with summer temps since Sunday, hooray! I'll prolly transport my plants outside in 2 weeks, give the ground some time to warm up
Yeah, Illinois, here, and we went from 50s and 60s to 80s, today and 90s the next 3 days or so...crazy weather. The ground should be good and warm by the time my seeds I just started germinating are ready, as well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I woke up to snow here in Idaho! Thankfully it quickly turned to rain.
@Col. Fryght How tall is your erosion fence? I have high winds here and was going to buy some sort of wind barrier but not sure how tall it should be.
Only so much you can do against the wind. It becomes a bottomless pit of your time and money. I have an outer erosion fence to distract deer. Then a four foot fence around the garden using pvc pipe and 6 mil poly. And then I put another erosion fence around the planting area until the plants start to run.

Keep in mind, that I have a tendency to over complicate things. :rolleyes:

Here is the cheap erosion type fence that I buy. It is three feet tall by 100ft for about $40. I think it helps but others tell me that the wind will just tumble over it. It still makes me feel better and I have not lost a plant to wind.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I figure by then my plant will be running, plus my amendments will have been in the ground for three weeks which should give them a chance to mix in with the soil. Then, I will do a tissue test around June 20th in front of a set pumpkin (hopefully) to see what is actually getting to the plant.
This is a great idea! Can't wait to see what it tells you.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I'm starting to see baggie seed germination of all varieties!
Glad to see that you got your baggie touch back. I am doing so well with dirt germination that I will probably cut back to 5 next year. Since I germinate so few seeds, I will probably not do the bag method again. But the baggie method sure is simple and saves time by planting only seeds that actually are viable.

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
The tomato tent is dual purposing as a test for me being able to break into the giant pumpkins/early planting in future years. Mixed results so far.

The commercial material proved ineffective at the first frost and damaged the tomatoes I had. Bought more...

We've had snow on Sunday and frost through this morning, I'll be peeling back my home grown material tomorrow to see how it's faired. (rule of thumb for the area is plant on mother's day)

Planning beans as a cover crop for beds 2 & 3. We'll finish bed 4 this year for sure, maybe 5 and 6, but getting the xeriscaping in the easement takes priority from here.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Glad to see that you got your baggie touch back. I am doing so well with dirt germination that I will probably cut back to 5 next year. Since I germinate so few seeds, I will probably not do the bag method again. But the baggie method sure is simple and saves time by planting only seeds that actually are viable.
Thanks. I'm still tweaking it...even with the kitchen trivets, it still gets a bit too warm. The sunflower seeds cooked, again, so I'm just direct sowing those, since it's toasty outside, now, anyway.
As for the rest of the pumpkin, gourd, squash, cucumber seeds...I think I may have to try something diff, next year. We will see. Maybe build a little shelf to put my seed baggies on that floats over the cable box.
Besides the ones I'm taking to my mother in law, which I potted, today, and put in my greenhouse to get going for her, I am just planting the germinated seeds for my garden right outside rather than starting in pots, indoors...again, since it's already warm out...that, and I may have ran out of soil, lol!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Had another dead seed today, what is that like 3 total for me this year? So, planted another big max....sorta late but at least its still May right?
Hopefully, this one will germinate and sprout for you!! It's still early May, I would think you would still be okay.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Amazon delivered my water flow meter this week. The one I bought last year died over the winter. Not to upset that it only lasted one year since I left it outside and it only costs twenty bucks. I love having a water meter. I am no longer guessing as to how much water I am using for my garden or topping off my koi pond.

Also, a friend visited the garden this morning. I have always had soft spot for tree frogs.

Product Material property Adapter Camera accessory Clock

Sleeve Creative arts Art Reptile Pattern

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Well, my home brew material worked wonders and the new tomatoes survived the frost/snow brilliantly, and even the old damaged ones are popping back up.

80s this weekend followed by another frost watch next week....
Glad your tomatoes survived! This weather is simply ridiculous...

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Amazon delivered my water flow meter this week. The one I bought last year died over the winter. Not to upset that it only lasted one year since I left it outside and it only costs twenty bucks. I love having a water meter. I am no longer guessing as to how much water I am using for my garden or topping off my koi pond.

Also, a friend visited the garden this morning. I have always had soft spot for tree frogs.

View attachment 760704

View attachment 760705
I LOVE tree frogs!!!! Your friend is adorable!!
I don't get any at this house, but we had tons at our old house. I miss them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well its 88° and sunny today here in Central IA and my gf was nice enough to help me "rehome" 4 of my 7 pukkin plants. I feel we did a decent job with the mixing of soils, adding plant food and elevating the mounds for water run off. I ran out of pete moss and whatever else I was using so the remaining 3 will have another week to grow strong on the front porch. Question....does a snapped stem mean the plant is dead even if its green? Anyways, i planted a variety of Howden Biggie and Big Max, I didn't keep track of which was in what pot so here in a few months each flower with Hopefully be a healthy surprise :p. Happy Halloween!!

141 - 160 of 182 Posts