Halloween Forum banner
101 - 120 of 182 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
For PUMPKINS, I've never had trouble with the ziploc bag method just left on the counter, no additional heat needed.

I suspect this is the reason I've had trouble with gourds, however.

Hoops and fabric for my row covers arrived at the mailbox today, need to pick them up on my way home, but the tomatoes I was hoping to buy from the store may have all froze in the snowstorms last week. LOL.

My son works the garden dept at the local Lowes and they had a lot of neat varieties I was hoping to try.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm jealous, all of you with plants already...im hoping my ghetto setup is enough! Medical heating pad underneath and grow light w/o heat over the top, good soil mixture though! I should have Something by end of this week. If not, maybe a do-over for me

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Well, I wasn't getting alerts that everyone was chatting, over here, so I missed a lot.
For those of you who have already started, your set ups look great! For those who have babies, already, I'm super jealous!! For those dealing with snow, still, I feel ya', as we just woke up to white, yesterday, and freezing lows, still, too. No pumpkin and gourd planting for me, just yet. We have nice, warm weather coming by the end of the week for a short while, but the future forecast for end of April and beginning of May is saying back to 50s for highs. I hope that changes.
Heck, I'm still waiting for them to ship out my new type of seeds...those Kandy Korn Hybrid ones.
Saki.Girl, I can't wait to see what your surprise pumpkins will be!
The squash bug sign is hilarious!
IowaGuy, your germinating set up looks like it should work, great!
I don't even know where I will grow my pumpkins...I planted more greens than usual, this year...which the seeds are probably all dead, now, due to too much moisture and then snow and freezing...sigh...so now I have less room. Hmmm...this should be interesting...it will be like a game of Tetris in the garden, this year!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
I'm jealous, all of you with plants already...im hoping my ghetto setup is enough! Medical heating pad underneath and grow light w/o heat over the top, good soil mixture though! I should have Something by end of this week. If not, maybe a do-over for me
IG, your set-up is fine and nothing ghetto about it. Starting seeds can be a simple process. I knew a grower who was visiting Oregon. Upon leaving Oregon he stopped at a rest stop and did the ziploc bag method. He tossed the bag on top of his dashboard. By the time he got back to Wisconsin a couple days later, the seeds had germinated. He posted a video about it.

It just reminded me how simple things can be. Unfortunately, I lost my touch with the ziploc bags and starter pots work better for me now. Your heating pad and light should work well.

***EDIT: I found the video:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Just FYI, Home Depot has the MIracle Gro .75cu garden soil 5 for $10 until May 1st. Maybe it is just my memory, but garden soil seems like the old top soil and top soil seems like mulch. I wish seed starting soil was not so expensive because it always seems like the real deal.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Yes, I planted them all pointy end facing down. If you look in the center of the pic you will see the seed is actually pushing itself out....its sideways
Oooh, that's what you meant. Yeah, the seed coats almost always come up with the cotyledon (baby sprout leaves). It will just push right up out if the ground as the sprout goes up and the roots go down. It comes up whatever direction those cotyledon happen to be facing/breaking out of the sead coat. Like UnOrthodOx said, pretty normal. It'll straighten itself out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
7 days later and things are still looking good. Hopefully, everything will be in the ground next Sunday or Monday. What always amazes me is how fast things start to go once they start. I know they will slow down for a couple of weeks once they are in the ground. But then they will start to vine like a foot a day and the next quarter of the game will start. Let's just hope I can get to the fourth quarter this year. lol

7 DAYS AGO

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Compost

TODAY

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Leaf Botany

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
View attachment 760441
I've never started pumpkins indoors so this is exciting! :ROFLMAO:
Pumpkins are so much fun to grow. Here's to "wishing you a fantastic pumpkin patch & harvest"!

Temps dropped to 37 last night but everything survived.
Found a bunch of squash seedlings popping up in the garden. Planning to keep them growing & find out what they are 🎃
(The Squirrel Gods givth & the Squirrel Gods taketh away)

Attachments

101 - 120 of 182 Posts