Halloween Forum banner
281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, I have lost my second pollination around the day four mark. I had a feeling on Thursday. These baby pumpkins darn near double every day until 20 days after pollination (20 DAP). On the bright side the one I pollinated yesterday is bigger than the other pollinations this year after one day and the temps should be scaling back into the upper 80s. No picture jinx until it reaches day 10. lol
Sorry to hear about the second pollination. Hopefully the third times the charm! Orange U Glad you got into growing pumpkins?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,787 Posts
If all goes well, I'll be pollinating the first of my JBLs tomorrow morning and, possibly, the first of my gourds the following morning. We are in a tiny window of not melting type weather, so I am hoping both will make it and other teeny females that I see popping up will have a chance to get strong and bloom, too. It looks like I will have males for tomorrows pollination, we will se about for the gourd.
(I can't wait to see what kinds of gourds I'll be getting...planting from those assortment packs is always a surprise! The current female is bicolored, green and orange, I think...it's adorable. I hope it makes it.)

I'm a little worried, though, about how low to the ground these first females are (since I grow them upwards)...they will be close enough for an animal to get to...I'll have to see if I can put something up to "disguise" them a bit, lol.

I checked out my MiLs little pumpkin patch of seedlings I started, for her...she has them and some volunteers that popped up in her flower garden (she transplanted them out of the flower garden) all planted in one small spot...oh boy...that's going to be a mess. She has JBL's, Sugar Pie, Gourds, Kandy Korn and one or two mystery volunteers all clumped together...though, I think she said my FiL planted them like that, so, lol, may the odds be ever in their favor. I can't even tell which ones are which...I see she has had some males, already, but I don't see any females, yet, on any of hers.
She will, somehow, probably get more pumpkins and gourds than me, hahaha...sigh.

Side note, not pumpkin related, but maybe one or more of you knows...either the wind or an animal nearly flattened all my garlic stalks to the ground. It's almost harvest time...do any of you have garlic experience and know if they will survive? They don't seem to have broken off the bulb, but bent badly...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
We are in a tiny window of not melting type weather
I am right there with you. It just feels like that the heat wave was two weeks too early.

Side note, not pumpkin related, but maybe one or more of you knows...either the wind or an animal nearly flattened all my garlic stalks to the ground. It's almost harvest time...do any of you have garlic experience and know if they will survive? They don't seem to have broken off the bulb, but bent badly...
No experience, but water powers plant life. It would seem to me that if they are bowed but unbroken, then the plant should be fine just shorter. lol

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,787 Posts
I am right there with you. It just feels like that the heat wave was two weeks too early.

No experience, but water powers plant life. It would seem to me that if they are bowed but unbroken, then the plant should be fine just shorter. lol
These heat waves, after heat waves, after heat waves...all feel a month too early...
As for the garlic, we JUST finally got a little rain overnight...no idea how much, but we've been dry as a bone through most of this heat. I've been watering like crazy. I'm hoping they will perk back up after the wind has calmed and I just watered, again...but they look pretty bent. If the greens don't make it, they won't be shorter, they will be gone, because they bent at the ground. It was like what you would see in a corn crop circle, lol, but in my garlic...wait...aliens????!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So, as I was taking my dog out this morning and doing my usual checking of my pukkins I noticed that that female flower I have pictured above had her flower Wide open. My gf and I had thought maybe she was already preggers because of the size of its "bump". After a closer look, I decided to manually pollinate her with 2 male flowers. The first male was quite "Ready" (lots of pollun) for some action and I took the 2nd male flower as a "just making sure" final touch haha. For those of you with a good sense of humor....I couldn't help but think to myself, upon seeing this flower...."That is a Huge vagina". Anyways, Happy Halloween!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yesterday was one week since I planted my seeds, and so far, the results have been very encouraging. Out of the 56 seeds, I’d estimate 44 of them have germinated. Fingers crossed the remaining seeds come up in the next few days. We’ve had a decent amount of rain the past week, and the temperature has been in the 80, and a couple days reached the 90s.
Road surface Asphalt Grass Tar Sidewalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had a few females shrivel up and die off before the flower even opened. Is it the heat? Should I supplement with something?

My one pollinated pumpkin is going strong, at least! Now I'm getting greedy and want more!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I got my first female flower a few days ago but I don't think it's doing well even though I hand pollinated. We got to 103° yesterday and 100° today. I had a second one open on another plant today, so we'll see how that one does.
I usually have an overabundance of squash bees around the plants as soon as the male flowers open, but I have yet to see a single one. :(

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Sorry to hear about the second pollination. Hopefully the third times the charm! Orange U Glad you got into growing pumpkins?
Lol. God, I absolutely love a joke within a joke. That made my day. You are the first one to ever make that connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so inspired by all of you. I just bought a house and the backyard is big! I’d love to grow pumpkins, but I think it’s a little late here in NM. I just don’t know where to start. I’ve grown flowers in pots (lived in apts), but never a garden. Any pointers for next year?

281 - 292 of 292 Posts